Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Augustines School In Milton, Why was it demolished?
*Katherine Goetz*
post 8th Jul 2010, 02:54am
Post #1

Hallo everbody, as a former pupil of St. Augustines, I would like to know when it was demolished, and most importantly why? My mother campaigned for the school to become a Catholic Senior Secondary as there was no Catholic Senior Secondary. in the north of Glasgow. My mother didnt know that I would become a pupil of this school. Catholic children would have had to travel to Charlotte St. (I loved their uniforms) or St. Alyious for the boys etc.

Perhaps someone knows me. Originally from Possilpark. Born 62 Hawthorn St. in 1943. My Name is Katherine Paterson, and may I say to one and all, be glad you were educated in Scotland, we were better educated than in England THEN. I dont know about now!

Last not least, my dream didnt come true either, (I wanted to become a teacher) as some of you wrote we had to leave at 15 to help the family - I had 12 brothers and sisters at that time- Cèst la Vie as the French people say, thats life. I'm sure everyone has mastered their
life in their own way in the meantime.

Awra best
KATHERINE.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Barry*
post 11th Nov 2010, 06:41pm
Post #2

Well As I Was A Pupil Now Im Am In The Other School That got Made Beside It (ST.Monicas)

Well It Got Demolished In 2010 Not SUre When .. Sorry

It Got Took Down Because Of The Walls Were Comeing Down And Lots Of Cracks Were Appearing That All I Know.

Hope This Is Helpful.

+Quote Post
storeman
post 27th Nov 2010, 12:54pm
Post #3

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,046
It was sad day when they pulled down great school many good and sad memories of school

walking to school in all weathers from Broadholm Street from 1969 - 1979

finding gap in metal fence at football pitch just to get to class

old Annex building with outside toilets

high school and so called new building that held Geography , Language , classical studies, Physics , Library, sewing classes departments

old building with Maths , Arthmetic , English , Modern Studies , Chemistry , Biology , woodwork , Art . Techy Drawing , PE, Swimming pool time table in one hand and large coop bag to carry your books those where days lmao

+Quote Post
*a.nom*
post 11th Jan 2011, 10:00pm
Post #4

hi storeman
i was there in approx 1966/71 i remember climbing the fence i came in from haywood st up through the pitches and into the boys play ground at that time we had different play grounds do you remember the prefects nasty lot hope you were not one .
i remember a couple of cracker teachers houston history told he had the hardest belt in school. gilhooly maths a proper b"$%&%d jimmy gordon english good guy

+Quote Post
*MARY CONNELLY*
post 12th Jan 2011, 11:32pm
Post #5

St Augustines was closed due to financial greed of City Council as it had the biggest area of land but someone didn't do their homework or they would have know that the playingfields have a natural water spring running underneath and the land is not suitable to build on.
Its a shame as St Augustines was 1 of the best schools in Europe with extremely high standards and some brilliant teachers.
Does anyone remember Miss Gilligan, the maths teacher. I was terrified of her but no question she was great at her job.

+Quote Post
**amelia**
post 20th Feb 2011, 05:22pm
Post #6

Hi,

Does anyone remember Bob McKay? A brilliant modern studies teacher!

How about Miss McCue and Miss Paterson? English teachers both, and very good too!

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 23rd Feb 2011, 12:47am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Hi Amelia
I remember Bob McKay and Miss McCue very well. Was Miss Patterson the 1 the called golfball cos she had a lump the size of a golfball on her neck? Miss McCue retired about the time was going into 4th year so would be about 1976. Last I heard of Bob McKay was he had a teaching post at College of Commerce in Glasgow, must ask my brother as he meets him every now and again.

+Quote Post
Jay Dee
post 7th May 2011, 10:10am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,872
There are some good pictures of the school as it was in the 1960s on Friends Reunited.

I have the last school magazine ever printed from back then and I well remember Arthur Houston’s prowess with the belt. I actually found Mr Gilhooly OK as were Tom Walsh, Dr Durkan (who died just last year), Mr Patterson, Jimmy Troy and Mr Macleish.

I also recall Miss Gilligan with her ability to draw a perfect circle and see what was going on behind her back. Less fondly remembered were Jimmy McCourt, Mr Harvey, Mr McKeown – all science teachers who were unable to take what was in their heads and put it into ours - Joe Crawford and Mr McGoldrick who were supposed to teach us art, yet I left school knowing not one painter or sculptor and unaware the city had one of the greatest art collections in the world, and in music we had the long suffering Mr Stone and Mr Devlin, and again, I didn’t realize how much great classical music there was in the world – they certainly never clued us in on it with their dubious songs about ‘Johnny Come Down From The High Road’ and ‘Brennan On The Moor’ which are up there in the banality stakes with ‘Dashing Away With The Smoothing Iron’. I recall them telling us all the time that the Beatles were rubbish and that ‘gigglers would get double’.

A few years ago I was taking with some posh types and they were asking about each others’ school songs – and when they asked what the song was for St Augustine’s, I told them it was ‘We Gotta Get Out Of This Place’.

Going back to Katherine’s post that kicked off this very interesting thread, my wife still has her Charlotte Street school blazer from 1967. She outgrew it by the 1970s, but we hoped we might be able to contribute it to a school museum or something.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and best wishes to everyone.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 7th May 2011, 11:31am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 23rd Feb 2011, 01:55am) *
Hi Amelia
I remember Bob McKay and Miss McCue very well. Was Miss Patterson the 1 the called golfball cos she had a lump the size of a golfball on her neck? Miss McCue retired about the time was going into 4th year so would be about 1976. Last I heard of Bob McKay was he had a teaching post at College of Commerce in Glasgow, must ask my brother as he meets him every now and again.

I apologise for bringing bad news but Bob McKay died a year ago. He was well liked by all who worked with him and for him.

Bob mcKay: Obituary

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th May 2011, 08:34am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Jay Dee @ 7th May 2011, 11:18am) *
There are some good pictures of the school as it was in the 1960s on Friends Reunited.

I have the last school magazine ever printed from back then and I well remember Arthur Houston’s prowess with the belt. I actually found Mr Gilhooly OK as were Tom Walsh, Dr Durkan (who died just last year), Mr Patterson, Jimmy Troy and Mr Macleish.

I also recall Miss Gilligan with her ability to draw a perfect circle and see what was going on behind her back. Less fondly remembered were Jimmy McCourt, Mr Harvey, Mr McKeown – all science teachers who were unable to take what was in their heads and put it into ours - Joe Crawford and Mr McGoldrick who were supposed to teach us art, yet I left school knowing not one painter or sculptor and unaware the city had one of the greatest art collections in the world, and in music we had the long suffering Mr Stone and Mr Devlin, and again, I didn’t realize how much great classical music there was in the world – they certainly never clued us in on it with their dubious songs about ‘Johnny Come Down From The High Road’ and ‘Brennan On The Moor’ which are up there in the banality stakes with ‘Dashing Away With The Smoothing Iron’. I recall them telling us all the time that the Beatles were rubbish and that ‘gigglers would get double’.

A few years ago I was taking with some posh types and they were asking about each others’ school songs – and when they asked what the song was for St Augustine’s, I told them it was ‘We Gotta Get Out Of This Place’.

Going back to Katherine’s post that kicked off this very interesting thread, my wife still has her Charlotte Street school blazer from 1967. She outgrew it by the 1970s, but we hoped we might be able to contribute it to a school museum or something.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and best wishes to everyone.

Jay Dee, very good assessment of the teaching staff. Mr Gilhooly was my form teacher, as well as teaching maths, and he was one of the few I actually learned anything from. McCourt and Blair, who taught French, were both thugs who relied on punishment as an incentive to learn. Walsh was ok as was Jimmy Gordon.

I had a look at Friends Reunited some time ago but stopped because of the number of notices of ex-pupils who have died. Fortunately I didn't find my own name though smile.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
*cmt*
post 31st May 2011, 10:16pm
Post #11

hi i also went to st augustines primary and secondary 1975 ..1985 ...primary years were fantastic , mrs.logue was my first teacher, miss mcarthur, mrs roper then mrs mccorriston , played in school team managed by mr healy and won columba cup league , bailey riley cup ,,, great memories ...played at roseberry were all school finals were played ,our strips were old aston villa claret and marron ....secondary years werent the best days , sorry to hear bob mckay passed on new him well , mr mcvey english teacher also has passed on few years back , shame the school not there anymore but memories are 3 of my older brothers went there to and my auntie in the 50 s .....

+Quote Post
*Guest TamPatterson*
post 4th Jun 2011, 06:59am
Post #12

Kathy Paterson,the same name as my mother,and I'm the same name as you're brother,Tommy.You had one T we had two,you're Tommy used to do the papers and you lived close to Boaby Macklin's shop and the Hawthorn,and Johnny Mail the cobbler in Saracen Street,You got another brother Dan,who knew every Tom Dick and Harry in the French Revolution Teacher's at Saint Augustine's that I remember,Murray.Poli,McCoy,Craig,Braidwood,McDonald,Monaghan,Gilmour.
Hope you and you're family are having a good life Kathy

+Quote Post
**Jackmac**
post 23rd Jun 2011, 10:33pm
Post #13

Yes ii certainly remember Gilhooly or gilhooligan as he should have been known i wonder how he has lived with his conscience,how that man was allowed to teach with that temper?
Remember Mclaren(gym teacher)aka tin man he was not too bad.
Sorry to hear the school has gone now was surprised to hear of it.

+Quote Post
**Amelia**
post 4th Aug 2011, 10:28pm
Post #14

Hi,

I cannot believe that Bob McKay has passed away.

He was a brilliant and inspirational teacher.

I wanted to tell him that I took a lot of his advice to heart, and actually did well (eventually). I acted like a fool in his classes. Don't know why. Secretly I was listening.

I can still remember his films with Kerensky, and his very honest anti-racist sentiments, (re the immigration question), as well as his allusions to Bob Dylan's lyrics.

He was that rare thing: a truly good man.

He was additionally a wonderful teacher. I only hope that I can emulate his perceptiveness. I wish that I could have met him and told him all of this.

Best to all,
Amelia.

+Quote Post
*ExPOW*
post 18th Aug 2012, 05:12am
Post #15

I was an inmate there from 1961 to 1969.
Even although I did 6 months of 'Prep', I didn't achieve any remission.
Always in the top echelon of classes by year, as in 1a Boys, 2a, 3a etc.

A line or two may perhaps jog some dormant synaptic connections......

House Name: Ogilvie
House Master: James (Jimmy) Gordon (taught English)

Form Master: James (Jimmy) Doherty
Latin: forgotten perhaps McFarlane? Mr Patterson
French: 'Wee Nora' Fallon (nyuch nyuch), Desmond (Des) Duffy, Mme Rouselle (double Mmmmmmmm)
English: Doc Durkan and one forgotten 'other'.
Geography: Miss (?)
History: "Spud" Murphy, Miss McCue(?)
Music: (Wee Fat) Bob Devlin, Miss (from Hell) Kelly
Physics: Mr Harvey, Jimmy McCourt
Chemistry: Mrs McBride, Mr McKeon
Mathematics: James Gilhooly, Girls – Miss Gilligan (super bitch)
Arithmetic: Mr Johnson (Ex RAF Air Gunner)
Art: McGoldrick, Joe Crawford
PT: Nickname Fat Jack ? (forgotten) & (Toughguy) McClaren, Girls – Miss Ord
Headmaster: Poli

'Des' Duffy was drowned while holidaying either in Spain or the French Riviera. He was rumoured to be 'romancing' Miss Ord who returned shattered by the experience.

Remember that lumbering Alp known as "Big John" Forrester. Once got six of the best from him.

Sad to relate I found that they had levelled the Senior School, Gymnasia and 'Canny' due to falling birthrates some time ago.

Other Teacher Nicknames who remain unknown:
French: Nickname Wee Wully Face (History)
Chemistry: Nickname Charlie Chin (Chemistry) had sever brain phart during class (mental breakdown)

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.