Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beaties Biscuits, Anyone work for Beaties Biscuits?
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Jan 2009, 01:29pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Anyone work for Beaties Biscuits way back in the mid 1940's (or had a grannny or granddad who did)

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wullie jones
post 30th Jan 2009, 10:31pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 6,353
My father worked in Beatties when we lived in Drumchapel, mid to late sixties, he used to bring home plenty of biscuits and big slabs of dark chocolate, and I also remember bags of powderd egg.

+Quote Post
backcauseway
post 1st Feb 2009, 10:13pm
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 6,322
My mother in law worked in the biscuit factory in the early 1940s. There are some photos taken inside the works on the SCRAN website. I knew some of the workers in the 1950s. Used to play football for a team on Sunday afternoons next the factory about 1954 or so. They made a lot of "own " label biscuits for supermarkets etc. They were latterly the only biscuit company in the RHM "Empire" (Rank Hovis McDougal) and RHM did not think it worth while modernising the plant and so it become less and less "economic". The sort of "far away" branch factory mentality that is or was so common with big conglomerates. It did not fit in with "the plan?" and thus was closed. It closed at the same time as the Goodyear plant across the railway track. It was the time of the Garscadden by-election and the Labour Party were in a "wee" pickle over these two closures. I think around 660 workers, mainly women, were made redundant at Beatties.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Feb 2009, 05:47pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Thanks, backcauseway:
that's interesting, I'll certainly have a look.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
*Suisse Tom*
post 8th Apr 2009, 05:12pm
Post #5

I actually worked in Beatties biscuits from 1969 till about 1974. The biscuits were very good and most of Marks and Spencers were made there. However as mentioned before RHM did not invest to update the hygiene of the bulk flour and sugar system so M & S moved on. Famous products were made there like Ayton sandwich, Morven, Vienna wafers, Shortbread, gingersnaps, butter puffs and so on. Ah it makes you hungry thinking about it.

+Quote Post
**rose**
post 25th Aug 2010, 08:12pm
Post #6

Can you buy the biscuit Ayton Sandwitch that was made in the Beatties factory?

+Quote Post
*joe forbes*
post 26th Jan 2014, 05:20pm
Post #7

My mother worked there between 1964-1971 Ellen Forbes (Mullen).

+Quote Post
*Peter Procter*
post 3rd Jul 2015, 11:15pm
Post #8

My father worked for Brooke's Biscuits from 1955, before they were amalgamated with Beatties to form Brooke's Beattie. He worked as a lorry driver for them out of the Wythenshawe depot til the whole company was closed down. He regularly went on the Glasgow run to Drumchapel, as well as all the other long distance runs, plus the local work. Glasgow was a 2 day run - this was before the motorways went all the way! Exeter and the south west was a 3 day run. Does anyone remember Gerald Procter?

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 4th Jul 2015, 09:03pm
Post #9

I recall my mother in law bringing home broken biscuits. However she used to bring home fig roll biscuits they made for Marks and Spencer that failed the M&S quality check.

+Quote Post
*Fonebot*
post 24th Oct 2016, 08:46pm
Post #10

Hi looking for Sheena Campbell . Sheena worked in the office of Beatties Biscuits Drumchapell in the late 60s/70s and she stayed in Drumry Road East if anyone knows Sheena could you please contact me on this site or email me on foneboy60@aol.com Thanks.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.