Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phoenix Park Terrace Glasgow, Looking for directions
Heather
post 25th Oct 2014, 09:10pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Poppy, I was up the Cowcaddens about two years ago and noticed Corn Street has been moved to the opposite side of the road. It was very confusion as the whole area has been changed

I lived in Sawfield Place, but we moved to Barlanark when it was being built. Although I was still at School when we moved, I still remember the area quite well.

Funny thing is, just last night I came across a photo of my father-in-law taken at the fountain that was in the grounds at the bottom of the swing park.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Oct 2014, 06:53am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Heather,you got me confused I was born in Edington Street and Sawmillfield Street was at the top and Corn Street at the bottom end.I dont think things have changed re the street names although the place itself is unrecognisable.

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 26th Oct 2014, 07:23am
Post #18

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Jupiter,

Corn St run from Garscube Rd up to Phoneix Park Terrace Edington Street on the left across from it Civic St.
If you walked from Corn St along Edingtton St you came to Sawmill Field St in other words from
one end of the Leckie to the other which ran along one side of Edington St to the other
with houses on other side of the street.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Oct 2014, 07:25am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Aye hudggy,
My mammy pushed me up and down the street many a time and I was partial to a wee ride up and down on the horse and cart. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 26th Oct 2014, 11:13am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Jupiter, I think you and Heather had this discussion before. Sawfield Place and Sawmillfield St are 2 different streets. Sawfield Place, where Heather and my mum lived, was a dead-end street with only 1 close and was where the Pheonix cinema stood. I think Speirs Wharf Studios now stands across where the street was but it might be Chubb. There is a photo somewhere on the boards of Sawfield Place. Mary smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Oct 2014, 11:20am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
You are probably well correct.My bulb up top isnt shining as brightly as it did.Ill check my old A-Z sometime.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Oct 2014, 11:29am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Aye your righr Mary.

The Phoenix was bought over by a Mr Dunn and he changed the name to the Endrick

Coming down the Garscube Road from the Round Toll on the left had side, there was Caithness Street, Sawmillfield Street, Sawfield Place, Corn Street and Dobbies Loan.

It's all different now, and that's why I was surprised to see Corn Street on the other side of the Road, the same side as New City Road.
There was hardly any pavement on the side where the swing park used to be, but there was a lot of road work being done there. It looked like it was going to be an underpass, but as I have not been up that way again it may well be something different.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Oct 2014, 12:04pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Heather thanks for that.Ill have a wee look the next time Im down the Gaspipe and maybe get some pics of the place now rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
poppy1
post 29th Oct 2014, 04:48pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,364
QUOTE (John McAdam @ 3rd Apr 2004, 11:12pm) *
I am planning to visit Glasgow in the next month or so to visit the street where my father was born in 1920. My problem is that I have never been to Glasgow before and I know very little about the geography of the city. The name of the street I am looking for is Phoenix Park Terrace. Does this street still exist? Can anyone tell me how to find it?

Regards,
John McAdam

walk down garscube rd from round toll keeping yo your right
you will pass an industral estate look up corn st at the top is pheonix
park terrace
good luck
poppy1

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 29th Oct 2014, 06:46pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
I wonder if Mr McAdam ever found it.

+Quote Post
*Jim McAuley*
post 21st Dec 2014, 04:31pm
Post #26

QUOTE (*JimTierney* @ 19th Oct 2014, 08:26pm) *
Hi Robert and Carol, I lived at 69 Edington Street from 1956 until 1967. My mum and dad were Cathie and Jim Tierney, and I went to St. Joseph's Primary School. It would be great to hear from anyone from my days in the Cowcaddens.

Hi Jim
I remember you and your mum and dad well. You were a couple of years younger than me but we played football in the street together. You lived up the same close as Alec Marshall while Billy McNaught was in the next close at No 75. I lived in No 97. Do you remember the old Edington Street bus runs to Saltcoats? We got a pie , buns and tea and played football on the green at the sea front. Am attaching a photo from the bus run think it is 1964 or 1965. From back L to R: Billy McNaught, Alec Marshall, Michael Rooney (Scotia Street), ME. Front L to R: Alec's Cousin (don't remember his name), a young Jim Tierney, Kevin McManus (Billy's cousin from Nitshill).

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Keith*
post 17th Mar 2015, 09:13am
Post #27

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Oct 2014, 07:10am) *
Heather,you got me confused I was born in Edington Street and Sawmillfield Street was at the top and Corn Street at the bottom end.I dont think things have changed re the street names although the place itself is unrecognisable.

My name is Keith we used to live 109 Edington Street in the 1960/70s mad days back then love the photos still got family up there I'm in London living.

+Quote Post
AsHepburn
post 27th Mar 2015, 12:31pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,606
Hi. My gran's cousin Robert Gunn Masterton 1891-1953 was a police constable in Glasgow and from 1920-1925 he lived in 33 Phoenix Park Terrace. I am trying to find out if he stayed at this address (his mail went c/o Gordon) after 1925. He had served in the Queen's Regiment for 5 1/2 years in WW1 and then joined the police. He left under a cloud in 1925 and the next thing I know about him is when he turned up in the ex workhouse in Skipton Yorkshire in 1940.
I would love to find out what happened to him after he was 'asked' to resign from the police and if he was OK. If anyone has any information I would really appreciate it.

Alison

+Quote Post
*sandra leslie*
post 4th Apr 2015, 04:45pm
Post #29

QUOTE (ROBERT GOLDIE @ 27th Oct 2013, 03:02pm) *
carol i lived at no. 69 edington st. went to st. marys episcopal braid st.
sorry this is so late but forgot all about this website
cheers robert

+Quote Post
*Jennifer Nicolson*
post 13th Jun 2015, 03:28pm
Post #30

Hi there, I am currently doing some family history work. My father was born in Glasgow and what I can gather he lived from 1955 - 1958ish at 34 Phoenix Park Terrace. Does anyone remember Jean (Kelly) & Leslie Nicolson who lived there with their baby boy Leslie? And sorry what was the name of the street currently? Thanks for the help in advance.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.