Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phoenix Park Terrace Glasgow, Looking for directions
*John McAdam*
post 3rd Apr 2004, 09:55pm
Post #1

I am planning to visit Glasgow in the next month or so to visit the street where my father was born in 1920. My problem is that I have never been to Glasgow before and I know very little about the geography of the city. The name of the street I am looking for is Phoenix Park Terrace. Does this street still exist? Can anyone tell me how to find it?

Regards,
John McAdam
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marg
post 4th Apr 2004, 12:10am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13
What your looking for is in Cowcaddens of corn street, off A81 Garscube road. Hope this helps

--------------------
God Bless this wee house!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Apr 2004, 11:10am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hi John, what Marg is saying is correct. I used to live just up from Cowcaddens, and knew Phoenix Park Terrace.
How to get there depends on where in Glasgow you are living. If you are going to be near the Subway then this will take you right into Cowcaddens. Garscube Road runs right off Cowcaddens Street, or maybe it is called a Road now.
I have not been up that way in years, so I do not know what changes there may have been.
Goodluck in your search.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*bluerangersfan*
post 22nd Apr 2004, 10:37pm
Post #4

Hi John,

I was born in Phoenix Park Terrace. The whole area was demolished years ago as part of the urban renewal of Cowcaddens. One of the few older buildings still standing (at least I think it's still standing) is Dundas Vale primary school. May of the kids from Phoenix Park Terr. got their elementary education there.

Good luck !

alistair

+Quote Post
*bluerangersfan*
post 22nd Apr 2004, 10:38pm
Post #5

Hi John,

I was born in Phoenix Park Terrace. The whole area was demolished years ago as part of the urban renewal of Cowcaddens. One of the few older buildings still standing (at least I think it's still standing) is Dundas Vale primary school. Many of the kids from Phoenix Park Terr. got their elementary education there.

Good luck !

alistair

+Quote Post
*Guest elizabeth **
post 25th Dec 2008, 06:37pm
Post #6

please contact me at drummore@hotmail.com and I can give you directions to get to phoenix park terrace.

+Quote Post
*robert goldie*
post 31st Jan 2010, 07:03pm
Post #7

Hi john i used to live in edington st just below phoenix park terrace from 1950 till 1957 all directions are correct.

I visit the area regularly on nostalgia trips and can tell you that right at the end of the terrace in corn st. where it met the electricity power station there is still the remains of a brick fire place in a small part of wall remaining upright.

What a souviner a few bricks make !!!!

+Quote Post
*carol davies*
post 21st Mar 2010, 07:17pm
Post #8

QUOTE (robert goldie @ 31st Jan 2010, 07:20pm) *
Hi john i used to live in edington st just below phoenix park terrace from 1950 till 1957 all directions are correct.

I visit the area regularly on nostalgia trips and can tell you that right at the end of the terrace in corn st. where it met the electricity power station there is still the remains of a brick fire place in a small part of wall remaining upright.

What a souviner a few bricks make !!!!

hi robert ,
just read your message on this site,i also lived in edington street num 21 but i was not born until 1959, what number did you live at and what school did you go to
egards carol davies

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 21st Mar 2010, 11:36pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi john a wee photo of where your father was born cheers

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
*David Sloan*
post 16th Dec 2011, 10:02pm
Post #10

I was looking for Phoenix Park Terrace when I came across this thread. My father also was born on this street in 1910, his name was Charles Alexander Sloan. It is with great regret that the street has been demolished, but I would be very interested in any information about the area and what things were like living there. I never knew my father as he died when I was very young.. Thanks...

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 22nd Feb 2012, 09:45am
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi David,

I believe that your grand parents lived at 14 Phoenixpark Terrace I lived there from 1947 till 1959 seem to remember sloans were either 2up or at the top right above us. Found this page not sure if its yours http://www.cwgsy.net/private/gu3whn/notes.html

Regards Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
*ROBERT GOLDIE*
post 27th Oct 2013, 02:45pm
Post #12

QUOTE (carol davies @ 21st Mar 2010, 07:15pm) *
hi robert ,
just read your message on this site,i also lived in edington street num 21 but i was not born until 1959, what number did you live at and what school did you go to
egards carol davies

carol i lived at no. 69 edington st. went to st. marys episcopal braid st.
sorry this is so late but forgot all about this website
cheers robert

+Quote Post
*Gwenn*
post 28th May 2014, 05:28pm
Post #13

QUOTE (David Sloan @ 16th Dec 2011, 10:19pm) *
I was looking for Phoenix Park Terrace when I came across this thread. My father also was born on this street in 1910, his name was Charles Alexander Sloan. It is with great regret that the street has been demolished, but I would be very interested in any information about the area and what things were like living there. I never knew my father as he died when I was very young.. Thanks...

Hi my mum and dad lived at 45 Phoenix Park Terrace. My mum was Greta Muir and my dad was Billy Turner.

+Quote Post
**JimTierney**
post 19th Oct 2014, 08:09pm
Post #14

Hi Robert and Carol, I lived at 69 Edington Street from 1956 until 1967. My mum and dad were Cathie and Jim Tierney, and I went to St. Joseph's Primary School. It would be great to hear from anyone from my days in the Cowcaddens.

+Quote Post
poppy1
post 25th Oct 2014, 07:18pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,364
QUOTE (John McAdam @ 3rd Apr 2004, 11:12pm) *
I am planning to visit Glasgow in the next month or so to visit the street where my father was born in 1920. My problem is that I have never been to Glasgow before and I know very little about the geography of the city. The name of the street I am looking for is Phoenix Park Terrace. Does this street still exist? Can anyone tell me how to find it?

Regards,
John McAdam

this street s still there you come to garscube rd look for corn st at the top is pheonix park st sorry to tell you it is an industral estate now but you can still walk up the wee hill and see it
i lived in edington st next to it
poppy1

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.