Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Highlanders, Ex Members of Glasgow Highlanders
Rating 5 V
Raymond Bell
post 11th Oct 2006, 09:19pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Did you know that there is a Glasgow Highlanders Association in Glasgow - did you serve with them - In 1959 the Highland Light Infantry of which the Glasgow Highlanders was the 9th Battalion merged with the Royal Scots Fusiliers to form The Royal Highland Fusiliers (RHF) The RHF have now been retitled to The 2nd bn (RHF) The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

There are not many actual GH members in the Association by virtue of time but to keep the Glasgow Highlanders name going the association have opened a new chapter by inviting members of other associations who have folded due to again time to join them.

I am keen on hearing from any Ex GH members

Raymond Bell

Dinger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 25th Oct 2006, 10:49pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
re the HLI, I lived next to the barracks growing up I often wonder if they kept the drawing of the insignia on the wall the was at the exit that led to Kelvindale Rd
when I went back in 1969 it was still there, and I also have a picture of a soldier wearing his HLI uniform right up in my living room,I also have one of a soldier in the uniform of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders ,they are my prized possesions smile.gif I also remeber Princess Margaret coming to the Barracks she arrived at the train station just up the road ,I attended St Marys School which was just across from it and we were allowed out to see her rolleyes.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
*Ken MacCallum*
post 26th Oct 2006, 01:49pm
Post #3

I am trying to track a T E Killin, who I believe was in the Association after the First World War, and may have been the President for some time. Are you aware of any records which might help identify him?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th Oct 2006, 08:43pm
Post #4

Hi Mags
Thanks for the reply - yes the plaque is still on the wall to the HLI who served in the barracks which is now a housing estate. The railway station is now well gone ans a supermarket and shopping centre is now in it's place - if you look through the other parts of the forum you will see that I am looking for information on a plaque dedicated to the soldiers of Lyon Street further along the Maryhill Road I don't know if you can add anything to the story??

I see your now in the states when did you move over there?

Once again thanks for your posting

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 26th Oct 2006, 08:51pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Hi Mags
Thanks for your reply - yes the plaque is still on the barracks wall which is now a housing estate - If you look through the forum you will see I am looking for information concerning a plaque in memory of the soldiers from Lyon Street further down the Maryhill Road - I don't know if you can add anything. This posting may appear twice as I tried to post it but I think it did not go through.

When did you move to the states???

RAYMOND BELL

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 7th Dec 2006, 07:39pm
Post #6

Super Resident
The Royal Highland Fusiliers The 2nd Battalion of The Royal Regiment of Scotland have revamped their forum and there is a section for The Glasgow Highlanders so if you served or just want to post for information you will find them on the following

www.rhf.org.uk/Newforum/phpBB2/index.php

This may help to track your lost friends

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 7th Dec 2006, 07:51pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Sorry it may be that you have to go to

www.rhf.org.uk

Then click on "CLICK HERE FOR NEW FORUM"

Sorry about that

Raymond

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 9th Dec 2006, 07:26pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Hi Mags from USA Thanks for keeping in touch hear from you soon and did you find any of your friends

Raymond

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 20th Jan 2007, 01:27pm
Post #9

Super Resident
The RHF forum has now got a page dedicated to the GH and is now up and running to view this page go to

www.rhf.org.uk and clck on NEW FORUM then select GH

and view it's contents - you will have to register to post information and pose questions

It is there for you to put information onto and keep in contact with old comrades and I thank Sandy and his crew at RHQ for all their assistance

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 23rd Feb 2007, 08:54pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Just to inform everyone there will be an association meeting at Sauchiehall Street RHF museum in late March - Anyone interested in the details can contact me for details on dinger105@hotmail.com

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 9th Apr 2007, 08:12pm
Post #11

Super Resident
The Glagow Highlanders Association held a meeting on Saturday 31st March 2007 at the museum of Home HQ of 2 (RHF) The Royal Regiment of Scotland 518 Sauchiehall Street Glasgow.
Over 60 attended - The association has members from other organisations such as HLI - Cameronian - RSF members.

I am really pleased with the attendance and look forward to hosting future events -

I wish to thank on behalf of the Association the staff of the museum who welcomed us and made the event such a success and bringing old comrades back together

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
championi26
post 9th Apr 2007, 09:46pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.ph...=7522&st=90

check post 94

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 1st Jun 2007, 10:05pm
Post #13

Super Resident
The Glasgow Highlanders are now back as an association and still looking for Ex members to re-join.

For info contact Raymond Bell on

dinger105@hotmail.com

They are holding a BBQ on Sunday 17th June in the Maryhill area

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 18th Jun 2007, 08:17pm
Post #14

Super Resident
The Glasgow Highlanders Association held their Family BBQ for members and friends with some 60 adults and 12 children attending - weather was good to them and the food was excellent
pre and post drinks in the WO's & Sgt's Mess at Walcheren Barracks Maryhill made the day a great sucess.
I wish to thank all those who attended and look forward to the October Reunion
Anyone out there who wants details about joining us - post a message

Dinger - Raymond Bell - Membership Secretary

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 6th Jul 2007, 10:37pm
Post #15

Super Resident
The Association AGM will take place in Glasgow in October - with the Annual reunion again in October - Anyone requiring details can ask on this page

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Aug 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.