Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mavis Valley, Cadder Pit Disaster, August 1913
*Guest jimmy cowan **
post 6th Jun 2008, 06:55pm
Post #31

HI RonD Inew your brother Jim he must be ages with me 66 we were at the same school, I also worked at the lumloch pit where your dad was kiled, We all went home that day a very sad time, I left the pits soon after that and went to the army. J.C.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 6th Jun 2008, 11:40pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
That's right Jim, I'll pass this on to Jim he'll be delighted. We lvied at 1 Woodhill Rd.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
outoftowner
post 11th Jun 2008, 04:19pm
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 5,707
Hi Stratson (re your post on 04/06/2008)
Do you know whether or not the family lived North or South of the Clyde and if North approximately where?
There aren't many in Glasgow.
Cheers

+Quote Post
*Takara*
post 5th Jan 2009, 11:39am
Post #34

QUOTE (flam @ 15th May 2008, 06:44pm) *
Hi Lovewookie..Caledonian estates owned quite a large area of land around your area,at Cadder Bridge the cottage type house on the offside is owned by British Waterways (Former Forth and Clyde Canal Company) and the one on the towpath that I always toook to be a canal house was owned by Caledonian Estates,an old German or Polish person used to stay in it until he passed on,Phew I am glad I got your avatar spelling correct Cheers Flim

I grew up, on Cadder Road, and went to sunday school in Cadder primary school. the old House across the road that was owned by a polish man, who sadly died. i know that he did not have family as friends of mine, managed to rent the building from council or waterways, not sure which. but we spend many days, cleaning out alot his old things. we gave alot things away to charity and pretty much empted the place. there was even a old Jeep in garage. sadly my friends moved out about year later. mosty due to people thinking it was ok to wander around the house and peek in windows all the time. aparently someone once walked into the livingroom, saying they though it was derlick. there was old glass green house out the back. which had heating pipes running through it. and the garage was two stories. with upper floor that you could only get to from above the green house.

there was also old stabbles round the back. and few other bits that seems point to horses being kept there. the back garden also grew wild garlic and few other things. behind that there was great big drop in a bog type place. but intrestingly there seems to be sort ruines of building down there too. but i had lots chemical barrals and such dumped there. so we really did not venture down there. from what i remeber. the old polish person had been some sort radio and electronics expert. as we found so many old radio's and books on how railways electronics worked and such. intrestingly i think there is blocked up basment to building, but i never got to see it.

from what i remeber of history of cadder, alot cottages where there to serve the cannal and people passing through. and old brickworks. as kids we did find entrance to old mine, but has been totaly built and some sort water works system is there also. the carpark to cadder parish church, has some thing do with brickworks, but i can't remeber what. and also the big fields where show jumping and horse shows happen. if remeber right where one the first places where woolymamoth remains where found. if i remeber right.

takara

+Quote Post
*stumcc*
post 22nd Jan 2009, 10:04pm
Post #35

My gran used to live in Mavis Valley (No 88) Unfortunately she passed away last year and as today would have been her birthday and i was in the area i stopped by to have a look. I walked along the path for quite some way until i come to a large concrete block just off the path. Is this where the road started? I took some pictures that i will try and post on here if i can work out how to do it.

+Quote Post
flam
post 27th Jan 2009, 11:41pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Guest Takara and Guest Stumcc..Yes the house that the old Polish gentleman stayed was somehow owned by Caledonian Estate,when the old gent died there where a young couple viewing the house to rent,they took me inside and there where boxes and boxes of radar type equipment and books scattered all over the place they asked my advice about the stuff and I told them if they where taking the house,they should write to the Art Gallery concerning this equipment as it had never been used,and some of the local children thought with their imagination that he was a German Spy (No Kidding) and Stumcc Yes you are correct,the conrete block is actually large water pipes which run under the Forth and Clyde Canal,if you walk North of the Concrete you can still see some wee bits of Mavis

+Quote Post
katimak
post 16th Apr 2009, 11:32am
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,809
QUOTE (flam @ 28th Jan 2009, 12:10am) *
Some of the local children thought with their imagination that he was a German Spy (No Kidding) and Stumcc Yes you are correct,the conrete block is actually large water pipes which run under the Forth and Clyde Canal,if you walk North of the Concrete you can still see some wee bits of Mavis

Hi all, just newly registered here - I found this thread when googling Cadder Primary School. I grew up on Cadder Road, and was one of those children who thought the man living in that house had been a German war criminal. My mum was quite friendly with his wife and we used to spend a lot of time playing in their garden, and used to be invited into the house fairly regularly. I remember it was very dark and old-fashioned inside, and yes there was a lot of equipment laying around even then.

+Quote Post
flam
post 17th Apr 2009, 10:48am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Hi All concerning Mavis Valley if you walk from Balmuildy Rd Bridge and head Westwards you will come to Structure (Photo 1 ) and if you look North of Structure that is Mavis Valley.---Photo 2 is of the remains of a building / shelter and Photo 3 is the house on the towpath side East of Balmuildy Road Bridge and Road..Hope this does not sound too confusing Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mack
post 17th Apr 2009, 03:13pm
Post #39

Visitor
Member No.: 5,073
I went to school,St Augustines primary,with two kids who came from Mavis Valley,Peter Leinster and Doris Quinn.I always wondered why they had to travel so far.

+Quote Post
flam
post 20th Apr 2009, 01:43pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Hi All Here are 3 photos of Cadder Bridge area Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 20th Apr 2009, 08:48pm
Post #41

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
QUOTE (ARCAJO @ 12th May 2004, 11:58pm) *
Hi Scotslad i believe they opened the pit for a while and then it was gradually closed down with miners being transferred to other pits,there are actually cracking photo's in some library books of the funerals of the Catholic and Protestant funerals,unfortunately the names of the books escapes me,if you are out that way cycling just watch out for an old geezer in case you knock him down.."it'll be me"ARCAJO

I have just read through this thread. None of my ancestors were miners. In the past I have had correspondence with a few people whose Irish ancestors stayed in Muirhead, Chryston, Heathfield, Garnkirk, Crow Row, Cardowan, Gartcosh and Bishopbriggs all of which I understand were in Cadder Parish.

I'm sure the following article from the Kirkintilloch Herald describes the Mavis Valley disaster in 1913 (22 killed) and the Aughengeich disaster in 1959 (47 killed). Photographs of the Catholic (11 deceased) and Protestant (7 deceased) funerals as a result of the Mavis Valley disaster are included in the article. I'm not sure about the funerals of the 4 other deceased miners in the 1913 disaster.

http://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/Cust...px?PageID=35618

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/21.html

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/250.html

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/gaztext_...p;c_id=10107260

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
flam
post 20th Apr 2009, 09:45pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Hi All Here is a photo of the Memorial Stone for the 11 Catholics that died in Mavis Valley Cadder Pit disaster in 1913..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 21st Apr 2009, 12:01pm
Post #43

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (RonD @ 13th May 2008, 11:57am) *
Scotslad, the houses at Mavis Valley were in use up until the 1950's by then most of the families were issued newly built houses in Auchinairn, which were permanent semi detached ior in prefab houses that were built after the war. From then on it was inhabited by squatters, I'm not sure when the buildings were torn down. So many families that lived there for generations. I have house plans for the houses in mavis Valley and I think they were built in 1905 but there was settlement prior to that in the 1800's

QUOTE (Paul Kelly @ 20th Apr 2009, 11:17pm) *
I have just read through this thread. None of my ancestors were miners. In the past I have had correspondence with a few people whose Irish ancestors stayed in Muirhead, Chryston, Heathfield, Garnkirk, Crow Row, Cardowan, Gartcosh and Bishopbriggs all of which I understand were in Cadder Parish.

Last year I had correspondence with a man whose Irish ancestors had settled in Garnkirk and Heathfield in North Lanarkshire. Like Mavis Valley, the villages of Garnkirk (including Crow Row) and Heathfield are now extinct. New housing was built in nearby Cardowan in the 1940s to rehouse some of the families from Garnkirk and Heathfield. Most of the families who had stayed in Garnkirk and Crow Row were of Irish ancestry.

http://www.monklands.co.uk/towns/muirhead.htm

Looking around on the net there is very little about Mavis Valley other than what appears on the GG. The visionofbritain link which I gave in my previous post indicates that in the late 19th century the Bishopbriggs area (which I assume included Mavis Valley) was 'inhabited chiefly by poor Irish families'. I found this description of Bishopbriggs in the late 1800s rather amusing given the rather uppity reputation which Bishopbriggs has today. Also, Bishopbiggs is no longer part of North Lanarkshire. It is now part of East Dunbartonshire.

Reading through the description of the Catholic and Protestant funerals on the scottishmining link, I noticed that the 7 Protestant miners who died in the Cadder Pit disaster at Mavis Valley in 1913 were nearly all staying at Mavis Valley. However, none of the 11 Catholic miners who died in the disaster were staying at Mavis Valley. Possibly this was just a coincidence. However, I have read before that Protestant and Catholic miners were often housed separately in the 19th and early 20th centuries, sometimes with religious segregation occuring within the same village. ie separate Protestant and Catholic miners' rows. Perhaps, in 1913, housing at Mavis Valley was reserved mainly for Protestant families, though this would have certainly changed through time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 22nd Apr 2009, 12:45pm
Post #44

Super Lord Provost
Further to my post from yesterday, the book The Lanarkshire Miners: A Social History of Their Trade Unions 1775-1974 by Alan B Campbell is said to provide evidence of residential segregation on religious and ethnic grounds in many of the towns and villages around the coalfields of Lanarkshire in the mid/late 19th and early 20th centuries. I have never read the book myself but I have read articles by other authors who make reference to Campbell's book when describing the Irish immigrant experience in the Scottish coalfields. This residential segregation seems to have gradually died out after the 1st World War.

I understand Campbell's book is primarily about trade unionism and he is said to claim that sectarian friction was so endemic in the Lanarkshire coalfields that it impeded the development of trade unionism among the miners. Miners stuck to their own Orange/Green factions.

A case of divide and rule.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*David Simpson*
post 31st Aug 2009, 05:23pm
Post #45

Hi there RonD and Jim Cowan, both my Grandfathers were miners at the pits you mention, in fact, Jim Cowan is my cousin. We used to see each other at Jellyhill 50 years ago !! My Mothers name was Una Cowan. and we grew up in Clydebank. Started out in the shipyard, but I've since worked in Copper, Urainium, Gold, Asbetos, Phosphate, and Diamond Mines. So I guess it really is in the blood !!! It was a very pleasant surprise to come accross Jims name here, brought back some memories. I remember my Mother taking me to Mavis Valley after they knocked the buildings down and showing me where she used to do the washing etc.
Ive been in Africa these last 39 years, now "Mining" sugar in Swaziland.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.