Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did Tories Kill 25,000 Glaswegians?, New research points to lethal political attack
derick2
post 27th Jun 2011, 03:52am
Post #61

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,161
If people used the money they spend on smoking and drinking to buy good healthy food and took up exercise then things would improve. The report is all conjecture and political spin.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
benny
post 27th Jun 2011, 10:14am
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Do you think that Tory policies towards Glasgow in the 80s and 90s were unduly harsh, resulting in the premature deaths of thousands of Glaswegians?

I would have to answer "No", because I don't think there is enough evidence to ascribe the premature deaths to Tory polices of the 80s and 90s. I agree entirely that those polices were unduly harsh, and that they had deleterious effects on the people who suffered under them.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Jun 2011, 11:39am
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (derick2 @ 27th Jun 2011, 03:45am) *
If people used the money they spend on smoking and drinking to buy good healthy food and took up exercise then things would improve. The report is all conjecture and political spin.

If people used the money they spent on cars to buy horses then at least one improvement would be a balance to the amount of bovine excrement that politicians like to spin. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*candy101*
post 27th Jun 2011, 12:44pm
Post #64

I kind of agree with Benny as I think the scientists go a bit far with their thinking without actually getting down to some real examples by what they have in mind as a political attack on Dear Old Glasgae Toon.

I think I'd need more evidence. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Jun 2011, 10:58pm
Post #65

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The GCPH report also mentions Cathy McCormack, a community activist from Easterhouse, and her concept of a 'war without bullets'. Here Cathy talks about her book:

Cathy also talks about the poverty industry and its focus on treating individual symptoms rather than pursuing a holistic approach to cure the causes.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 28th Jun 2011, 02:22am
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Generational unemployment has removed the stigma of not earning a living wage and not actively seeking employment. It is a more than a lowering of self esteem, it is a loss of dignity and morale that renders all other considerations such as health, social standing and personal endeavour, nul and void. Third generations brought up on dole money as a right and work ethic as a joke, are not in a position or condition to challenge the conditions that delineate their role in society and their survival in that ethos. Work and the advantages of being financially independent and pride, not only in doing a job well but in the very act of being employed, seems to have over the years been stripped from the hands of Scottish workers and sent on holiday as far south as they will go.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 28th Jun 2011, 03:22am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I think Not Guilty is a fair verdict.Please file.Next case.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 28th Jun 2011, 05:54am
Post #68

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
unsure.gif glasgow was an industry city with smoke in the air from polution,dust you name it and as A fact used asbestas which all are killers,remember the coal fires well add that,but someone needed A job so some one had to do it. as for cig and booze the govt made money on that,no one was told facts on health issues did they.As for cancer no one has come up with A cure have they,if you smoke die,if you drink too much your liver is shot.Think about it wasting money on how many health issues glasgow has,as for drugs its the dealers they should go after,spend money on the cure. just my opinion thats all.

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Jun 2011, 01:15am
Post #69

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 28th Jun 2011, 03:15am) *
I think Not Guilty is a fair verdict.Please file.Next case.

Would you care to outline the case for the defence? smile.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Jun 2011, 01:35am
Post #70

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 28th Jun 2011, 02:15am) *
... Work and the advantages of being financially independent and pride, not only in doing a job well but in the very act of being employed, seems to have over the years been stripped from the hands of Scottish workers and sent on holiday as far south as they will go.

Dunvegan, I agree completely: so many Glaswegians have lost sight of what it means to be financially independent, finding pride in one's own ability to provide for themselves and their family. Tragic.

I've posted the following video many times on these boards; it's from a reporter who is a staunch supporter of the Conservative Party and traditional conservative policies. He absolutely nails the effects of the problems faced in deprived Glasgow.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Jun 2011, 01:43am
Post #71

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (weebren3 @ 28th Jun 2011, 05:47am) *
unsure.gif glasgow was an industry city with smoke in the air from polution,dust you name ..

Thanks weebren3, as you say, so many Glaswegians were afflicted by illnesses through ignorance of the facts over many years: asbestos, smoke, tobacco, drink, etc. I'd certainly agree that as much money as possible should be diverted into finding cures for these diseases. Also, hopefully, money could be found to further investigate why it is that Glaswegians are so susceptible to them.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 29th Jun 2011, 04:22am
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Ive never been a great believer in cases presented entirely on circumstantial evidence without hard facts to substantiate the charge.In this instance I believe there are no hard facts to prove anyone was killed and certainly not 25,000.I ask where the figure came from?

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 29th Jun 2011, 12:44pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Just as well for you jupiter that the people dont get a say in this - whats new then I can hear you say!!

Last time I looked at the poll more than 2/3 thought the Tories had a case to answer.... and that doesn't take into account the fact that they only have a solitary MSP in the city on the strength of a diminishing vote from the hang-em-high blue rinse brigade.... the people have most definately spoken up for what their verdict would be!!

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 29th Jun 2011, 01:39pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
why it is that Glaswegians are so susceptible to them.

There is a theory that we 'Auld Glaswegians' are carriers of yesteryears diseases and have passed them on to the younger generation

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 29th Jun 2011, 01:45pm
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
Keep them coming Tommy and do let us know more about this theory.Has it got a name?
Does anyone on the boards know of anyone who died as a result of the Tories being in Government?

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.