Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A St. Mungo's Girl., Living in The Shadow Of St. Mungo's Chapel in the 50/60s
Maggie50
post 11th Sep 2008, 02:22pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 6,020
My family were born'n'bred in the Toonheid as we called it and being catholic St Mungo's was the place we were christened,made our communion/confirmation, got married and sadly were my wonderful mammy'n'daddy made their last visit. On a Sunday, nipping to 10 o'clock mass we shot intae 'big Johnny blair's fur sweeties tae eat during the service. Noo as kids we thought that was the thing tae dae. It had to be something you could pour into your poakit so as no tae rattle aboot (maltesers, treets midget gems) or the like. My duffle coat poakits goat intae some states. Some of our priests were warmers Fr John Mary and Fr Joseph. If you saw the former in the distance even, you wid jook up the first close you came to (he wis worse than the polis.) Noo!!! come Friday night confession. Ye see, you wanted tae start the week wi a clean slate,so honesty wis always gonnie be the best policy eh? Sittin, waitin ma turn ahm trying tae get ma story straight.RIGHT NOO fATHER!! ah swore 100times ah talked during mass 20times, ah wis cheeky tae ma mammy 50times(aye right!!) and a blagged 6 rolls ootie Joe's dairy 3times (oan a dare i might add). ANYHOO!!! by the time i goat in and after oh hello Margaret! (coz of course the priest new everybody in those days) ah hud sworn 20times, talked 10times bin cheeky tae ma mammy twice and WHOSE DAIRY??. I always thought that in the future sometime i would rectify these numbers and just bite the bullet and get that slate wiped clean but... The chapel was great of course for the odd wee connel fur the gang hut ( admission, a dodd of green beer bottle glass).Oh ah furgoat that wee indiscretion. Well i've tried tae live a decent life, so here's hoping. eh? My family names were Mc Manus and way back Fenner.

--------------------
mc manus34
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tam Mc Ghee
post 7th Nov 2008, 04:57pm
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,963
Hi Maggie....I enjoyed your wee story, well put! My fathers' family were form Glebe St in Townhead The Mc Ghees. I ended up going to Kennedy st school which was split into 2 with the catholics on one side and then The mungo boys in the other.
My father he was orange and my mother she was green ...as the song goes...

I spent 4 years at the Mungo from 61-65, Kennedy St, Barony St and Parsons St. Of course I remember the chapel well.
I'm living in Canada now but have fond memories of old Glasgow and McAslin st where a few of my friends came from.

cheers Tam Mc Ghee.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 1st Jul 2009, 12:19am
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (Maggie50 @ 11th Sep 2008, 03:39pm) *
My family were born'n'bred in the Toonheid as we called it and being catholic St Mungo's was the place we were christened,made our communion/confirmation, got married and sadly were my wonderful mammy'n'daddy made their last visit. On a Sunday, nipping to 10 o'clock mass we shot intae 'big Johnny blair's fur sweeties tae eat during the service. Noo as kids we thought that was the thing tae dae. It had to be something you could pour into your poakit so as no tae rattle aboot (maltesers, treets midget gems) or the like. My duffle coat poakits goat intae some states. Some of our priests were warmers Fr John Mary and Fr Joseph. If you saw the former in the distance even, you wid jook up the first close you came to (he wis worse than the polis.) Noo!!! come Friday night confession. Ye see, you wanted tae start the week wi a clean slate,so honesty wis always gonnie be the best policy eh? Sittin, waitin ma turn ahm trying tae get ma story straight.RIGHT NOO fATHER!! ah swore 100times ah talked during mass 20times, ah wis cheeky tae ma mammy 50times(aye right!!) and a blagged 6 rolls ootie Joe's dairy 3times (oan a dare i might add). ANYHOO!!! by the time i goat in and after oh hello Margaret! (coz of course the priest new everybody in those days) ah hud sworn 20times, talked 10times bin cheeky tae ma mammy twice and WHOSE DAIRY??. I always thought that in the future sometime i would rectify these numbers and just bite the bullet and get that slate wiped clean but... The chapel was great of course for the odd wee connel fur the gang hut ( admission, a dodd of green beer bottle glass).Oh ah furgoat that wee indiscretion. Well i've tried tae live a decent life, so here's hoping. eh? My family names were Mc Manus and way back Fenner.

Hi Maggie-I was also born and brought up in Townhead-(Parliamentary rd)-went to St Mungos Primary as well-was an altar boy at the chapel for years-served many a mass for the aforementioned Fr John Mary-(who incidentially lived to be a very old man and only passed on a couple of years ago)
You widnae recognise St Mungos now-a few million quids worth of refurbishment works wonders!-almost warm in the winter and all painted inside!-new roof and everything.! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 5th Jul 2009, 12:16pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 6,053
Dear Maggie 50,
Yes I attended St Mungo`s the years being in the 40`s/50`s and 60`s. I was one of Fr. Joeseph Carroll boys. Sadly he died some years ago in Dublin at the Mother house for the Passionist who also preached in St Mungo`s Townhead Ps. Fr John Mary was the priest for Girls back then there was a lot of rivalry between Fr. Joe and Fr. John Mary on a Saterday nights dancing in St Pauls hall in Mc Auslin St. ie no cheek to cheek dancing Fr. John making sure your hands where in the right place at all times. Nothing bad was to happen to his little treasures God Bless them all. Maggie I must say at this stage in my contact with you in all my years inSt Mungo`s I never heard of a problem with anyone amongst us the teenagers then. Also I must say not once did myself or my friends both boys and girls of St Mungo`s ever recollect any Innapppropiate Behaviour from the Lay or Religious orders who taught us at that time in our lives. I would say they done a fine job in getting us ready to go out in the big wide world. When I visit Towhead which is very often I never miss the chance to sit in the coolness of the Church that I love and cherish I like to sit there with all my memories of the past:- my formative years.
A little Info about myself my name is Pat Doyle I lived in 113 Montrose St. I attended schools Stanhope St. 44/47 then Glebe St. 47/ 52 on to St Roch`s 52/56 and then my teens into my 20,s to enjoy myself in and around Townhead. Maggie it was a pleasure to see your info. in glasgow districts Ihave been trying for along time to find somone from townhead I can share some of the the past history of the old Glasgow long gone into the anals of history. Maggie I now live in Dungloe Co. Donegal Ireland Please feel If you want to contact me at patjohndoyle@yahoo.co.uk
Maggie God Bless you and all your family
maybe someday I can meet you in St Mungo`s at Sunday mass 10Úcock
Bye for now Pat.

+Quote Post
maggie mc manus3...
post 22nd Aug 2009, 02:18am
Post #5

Settling In
Member No.: 6,062
[size="4"][/size]Hi Pat!! great to hear from someone who remembers the good days in the Tooheid. Ithink your a fair wee bit older than i am tho'my memory is good when it comes to talk of 'the auld place'. Without boring you with details all my family including my parents were born in the toonheid and all Mc Aslin St. We were christened , made our communions got married and even had my parent's funerals there. I don't mean to sound glum but living in the shadow of St Mungo's was everything to us but when my daddy MickMc Manus, mammy Agnes and young brother Mick left there for the last time i couldn't bring myself to go back, it's heartwrenching to be honest but the memories before that are magical. I am, in all honesty a very much 'lapsed catholic' but i do know that feeling about the chapel and can empathize with you. You may have known my family Pat, my daddy was a postman and my older brother was an academy boy 4yrs older than me that would make him 62yrs old now. It was so nice to see your response to my ditty, i swear i could write a book. Try going into Glasgow districts in this forum and see what you come up with. My oldest grandson is in Belfast at the moment working at a pharmaceutical placement as part of his forensic degree. Ireland is very popular with the young these days. Nice talking Pat c ya!!!

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 22nd Aug 2009, 07:00pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
My mother and father were both from the Townhead. Mums name was Margaret Green, dad was Eddie Mc Closkey.Both came from big families,do any of you remember them.They both went to St Mungo's and were married there in 1941.We used to go to mass there every Sunday morning, I remember on the way out we always sang Faith of our father.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 22nd Aug 2009, 08:13pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 6,053
Isobel,
Please i would like to give details of myself name Pat Doyle came from Montrose St. went to
St. Mungo`s.I had 5 brothers and 1 sister myself born 1939 George 41, owen 42, sister Bridie 43,
Johnie 46, Jim 48, and Robert 53.Robert was the only one to go to the academy all the rest St. Mungo`s. Could you please send me some info. on your family ie. where you lived and brothers
and sisters.
Thank you Pat.

+Quote Post
*alice hampson*
post 4th Mar 2015, 02:27pm
Post #8

I lived in Parson St Townhead from 1947 till 1963 went to St Mungos Primary then St Rochs also attended St Mungos Chaple loved father John Mary. My father was born in same house we lived in 64 Parson St. Our windows looked onto chapel Glebe St.

Would love to hear from anyone who knew me.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.