Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Photo - Where?, where wiz the photo taken..
Rating 3 V
scossie
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:05am
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
Another wee photae tae peek and pinch Ha'Ha'..Ya naughty wee gems... cool.gif ps Big kizz fur the winner/s...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 9th Feb 2007, 12:30pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Thats Elmvale Street going onto Springburn Road, is it noo??? Where's ma kizz??? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Ah used tae get off the No. 45 bus for school jist at the spot where the photographer must have been staunin'!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
flam
post 9th Feb 2007, 01:07pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Georgia I believe you are top of the class,the photographer would have been standin around the bottom of Balgrayhill near Quins Pub and the Bundy clock which the Corporation Conductors of tram and buses had to stamp their cards,across the road would have been the swings Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Avril
post 9th Feb 2007, 05:30pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Feb 2007, 07:56pm
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Here's a photo of the (very impressive looking) pub in the centre of the photo: if you click on the photo you'll get a slightly larger version - look at the street name!

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
stratson
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:25pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Elmvale Street. huh.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Avril
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:34pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
That's what ah said???? unsure.gif wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:59pm
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
Sad to say that my memory of 'old' Springburn has almost been as obliterated as the place itself and I can't get an exact fix on where this is. To help me, can you tell me this please - in the picture where would Woolworths have been? I'm assuming five minutes walk up Springburn Road veeering towards the right...

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 9th Feb 2007, 10:42pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
The pub was on the junction of Elmvale Street and Springburn Road. Almost opposite the pub on Springburn Road was the bottom of Balgrayhill and Woolworths was just along from that. On the corner to the left the pub was the church and the swingpark smile.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 9th Feb 2007, 11:56pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
Gon yirsel's..Here's a wee smacker so watch yir laquer...
Yir awe spot on.. cheers cool.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 10th Feb 2007, 04:40am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif In post 1 behind the bus & doon the botom of the hill was Elmvale primary school which I went to see it takes up back of phoaty? biggrin.gif...................GG I thought that Maguiers pub eventuated to be called Shevlanes roon frae that roon tae the left where other bus is on springburn rd was, the Vulcan pub (ye cin see it better in post 1 phoaty a think?& the Boundary Bar took up the other corner oan for side of shevlanes.crickey noo thurr was merr pubs than we knew witt tae dae with eh & other pubs were Thomsons up past swing park past Galbraiths took up a corner which led up tae mibees Hilkirk st?what pub was oan the Balgrayhill rd noo cos a thought it was quinns? ye know that wan afore ye reached woolies?

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Feb 2007, 10:21am
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon
Sorry lindamac, I don't know much about the old pubs in Springburn because I was too young to drink in them before they went, hopefully someone will be able to name them. I am getting a better sense of where the photo was taken from in terms of how Springburn is today. The following two photographs helped me - probably taken by Strathclyde Regional Council staff - which are quaintly entitled "Springburn Realignment" (as if Springburn was some recalcitrant child in need of a short-sharp-shock to get him back on the right path!).

The first is from 1981 and looking towards Elmvale Primary School.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Feb 2007, 10:23am
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon
The second is one year later, and the results of all the 'progress' are there to see.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 10th Feb 2007, 10:26am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Very sad pics GG......What have they done to Springburn? I'd rather remember it as it was ohmy.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Feb 2007, 10:43am
Post #15

Administrator
Group Icon
They are sad indeed georgia, and here's the saddest one of all coming up, where you see what all the "Springburn Realignment" was for - a crappy road built without regard to the Springburn community, just so that commuters could escape to the suburbs quicker, after enduring a day's work in Glasgow city centre!

These two photos were taken - by me - almost exactly 21 years later. The first (so you can get your bearings) shows the police station and the flats from roughly the same perspective as the two photos above, now look at the white box on the police station roof as I swing the camera 90 degress and move and turn from west to north...

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.