Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photies O' Oor Grannies, ...and other ancestors
stuarty
post 1st Feb 2009, 06:51pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a dont have many pics of my grannies or grandas a will need to fish them out and a dont even know what my granda mccormack looks like as a have never seen a picture of him but a love seeing all these photies great stuff

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Feb 2009, 06:53pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Braun, I spent hours in the Mitchell Library going through records and got nowhere. On of the library assisstants told me to go to a place in Belfast where all the old records are held. I can't remember the name of the place as I have not yet gone there.

At a Session on tracing Ancestors in my local Library, we were told the British deliberately shredded a lot of Irish records and others were lost in the Easter Uprising. She warned us it was very difficult to trace Irish Ancestors.

We know our g' g'parents came from Ireland but don't know where. That' s why I went to the Mitchell, to see if I could find out anything about them and what County they came from.

We know our g'g'father maried in Glasgow then vanished off the face of the earth. We think he went back to Ireland when his wife died leaving him with a 6yrs old son, our g'father.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
brian432
post 1st Feb 2009, 07:24pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
Attached Image

My Maternal Grandparents and family 1923. My mother is the one on the left wearing the hat.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 1st Feb 2009, 08:25pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Attached Image
My paternal grandfather William Muir. He lived at 1 Milton Street, Glasgow.
My grandmother Marion (Murn) nee Thomson had died in the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, so there weren't many pictures of her.

Attached Image
My maternal great grandmother, I forget what her first name was, but she lived in Stonehaven. The boy must be related, but I never heard just who he was.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Feb 2009, 08:30pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Northern Ireland records should be at the P.R.O.N.I public record office of Northern Ireland. The republic's should be in Dublin. Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864. There were records for Church of Ireland members beginning 1845 . Much of the records were burnt during the civil war in 1922 when there was a battle held in the Four Courts building of Dublin. Also, the government of the day in it's wisdom destroyed old cenus returns during the first world war to recycle the paper. GRRRRR. The north and the south both have realized that there are a lot of gen tourists and are doing a lot to centralize what records are avaailble. Each of the counties in ireland has a gen group. They would be worth exploring on the internet.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Feb 2009, 08:32pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
George! I ahve a siste rof my great great grandmother who married a Beattie. They were from the Stonehaven area. The women originally came from Arbuthnott.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
stratson
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:09pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
When I was researching my Irish Roots I too went to the Mitchell. No joy, however on my visit picked up a brochure advising "The Church of The Latter Day Saints," held Irish records. I had to phone appt, as the room is only open 3 times a week. I got the info. I was searching and sent to Belfast for my g/parents marraige certificate. When I got it, about six months later f(after sending a few reminders(I had sent fee at start for certificate) Had to get someone to interpret the writing.
Within a day of all being done I wrote to the editor of The Ulster Gazette stating who my g/g/parents were. It was published the first Thursday and to my amazement got e-mail asking me to phone a number in Ireland.The person was another g/g/daughter.
She asked when I was coming home, like it was me who left Ireland, I found out on my visit to Ireland my cousin had first gone to the village priest who had records and told her it was all true.
Sadly no photos of them. Our fathers were cousins. We have visited each other and keep in touch all the time. What a shock when I met all my kin. at least 80 of them.
If you Google Latter Day Saints Glasgow, the church is off Great Western Rd. you will get details of phone number etc. Good Luck. smile.gif

Here is address for Church.>>>35 JULIAN AVENUE.
GLASGOW.
G12 OPW

If you go to the site there is a map for directions,

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Java
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:32pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Ah, jist shows ye whit perseverance brings biggrin.gif

George, those photies are magic...priceless...thanks for showin them biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:38pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Stratson that was a very interesting story and all the better that you found your relations.

I knew the LDS had one of the best Ancestor Tracing Lists but I did not know there was a base in Glasgow.
Thank you for letting us know that.

Our problem is that our g'parents although Irish, were married in Glasgow and their Marriage Certificate does not say where in Ireland they came from.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stratson
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:51pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Heather, I have the same problem with my maternal g/parents. It is so frustrating. They married in Glasgow although I was led to believe they were Irish.
I put my grandma's maiden name and names of parents in a search and up pops a marraige with appropriate names, her parents married in Glasgow, no trace of birth certificate for grandma or death certificates for the parents. Like a brick wall, can go no further.

Fabulous seeing all your photos of g/parents, you can see resemblances to everyone in their family line. You are all so lucky. smile.gif

Heather, my Mum 's maiden name was McGuire, born 1894.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:52pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Up to about 1875, there are whatever birth and death records available on www.familysearch.org, which is the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons) website. Have a look at the Internatrional Genealogical Index. You can also find out where the nearest LDS library is in your part of the world. Although I am not a member of their church I was volunteer at one of their libraries in the 80's in Toronto. They have great resources, and it is a library they will not proselityze when you attend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:58pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Feb 2009, 10:39pm) *
Up to about 1875, there are whatever birth and death records available on www.familysearch.org, which is the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons) website. Have a look at the Internatrional Genealogical Index. You can also find out where the nearest LDS library is in your part of the world. Although I am not a member of their church I was volunteer at one of their libraries in the 80's in Toronto. They have great resources, and it is a library they will not proselityze when you attend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 1st Feb 2009, 10:00pm
Post #28

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,882
We have the same problem in our family. My great grandparents married in Ireland in 1859 and went to Glasgow, and their last child was born in 1862. The children were all born in Glasgow. My great grandfather disappeared between 1862 and 1872 when my great grandmother remarried. Her marriage cert state that he was deceased but try as I might, no record of him dying exists!

I have tried Scotland's People, PRONI, etc. but to no avail. Perhaps he still roams the earth smile.gif

+Quote Post
stratson
post 1st Feb 2009, 10:00pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Feb 2009, 10:39pm) *
Up to about 1875, there are whatever birth and death records avaialble on www.familysearch.org, which is the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons) website. Have alook at the Internatrional Genealogical Index. You can also foind out thwere the nearest LDS library is in your part of the world. Although I am not a member of their church I was volunteer at one of their libraries in the 80's in Toronto. They have great resources, and it is a library they will not proselityze when you attend.

Rond, were you guarding the records, they are very strict about the appt time also you cannot just walk-in. Must make appointment. They have the microfische to enable reading.
You wonder how the mormons acquired all those Irish records, I am grate ful that they did. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Feb 2009, 10:02pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Heather: It is a hit and miss. Sometimes some families are very fortunate to have the census taker write a specific palce in ireland as a birthplace rather than just Ireland as so many have. If you are lucky enough to have an ancestor or a sibling of an ancestor marry, die or be born in 1855. It will usually give your the place of birth of the individuals and in the case of a birth in Scotland it offers the birthplaces of the parents. However, that only happened in year 1855 which was the commencement to the civil registration in Scotland

--------------------

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.