Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bakeries In Glasgow, Had function rooms and did weddings
*Backcauseway*
post 12th Mar 2016, 08:42pm
Post #16

City Bakeries at Parkhead Cross had a function place at the back. During the day they served lunch and quite a few Celtic players used to have lunch in it. But I recall going to a wedding on a Saturday night. Of course Hubbards on Great Western Road opposite Bank Street had upstairs lunch place during the day and used for weddings at night.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Mar 2016, 09:17pm
Post #17

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Sloans in Argyle St did weddings too. We went there in 1957 to try and book our wedding for Fair Monday,the man looked down his nose at us as if we were aliens. No one works on Fair Monday ,he was right too,I couldn`t get a bouquet or my hair done.What a schemozzle. these days ( I think, although I don`t live in Britain),that would be all different . Everyone just happy to get the business.

+Quote Post
Lilian
post 14th Mar 2016, 08:06pm
Post #18

Visitor
Member No.: 32,763
backcauseway,Thanks.I do remember Hubbards now that you mention it.It's good getting so many replies.I had not realised so many bakers actually did have function rooms.

Thanks ,taurus.I think I remember hearing Sloans being mentioned.Yes,just about everything closed down on Fair weekend.I'm not sure if that is still the case.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 29th Jul 2016, 07:50pm
Post #19

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
The Windsor wasnt a bakers though... but what about Peacocks.. I dont know if they did functions or not.... it always seemed to be CO halls or Masonic halls ..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.