Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Photos, Elmvale Sy, Fernbank St.,, Springburn Rd., The Blocks, and "parks&
*Guest*
post 29th Feb 2016, 11:53pm
Post #16

QUOTE (mmaguire @ 25th Feb 2016, 01:20pm) *
You may very well be right or this may be the inheritor of the people that made the heating/cooking water boiling / house heating device. :-)

What I would really like to find is a photo of the self same device. I wonder if the Glasgow Copro retained any of these either in a building or details of same.

Thanks for the info. I am also potentially wrong after 55 years of last seeing same item.

Kind regards

M.Maguire

I think your memory serves you well!

Ure Interior Heater
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mmaguire
post 2nd Mar 2016, 03:04pm
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,698
QUOTE (Guest @ 1st Mar 2016, 12:01am) *
I think your memory serves you well!

Ure Interior Heater

Thanks for the link to the image of the Allen. Ure fireplace. It was referred to locally - if I remember rightly as a "back to back" fire.

I note that the one we had - and the fireplace was the "living room side " of the apparatus was slightly changed from the image and came together with cast irom pieces that could insert into the fireplace pillars at the side to swing in nad out of the caol fire to allow for pots or kettles to be heated.

Other tools that appear to have bneen provided with the 1935/6 version were a game of poker, a detachabel handle to pull and push a draft to increase or decrease the heating of water and directing heat to the kitchen "cooker" There was also a device with a curver flat bar cale a "cleet" which was used to clear out any cinders form the fire that had been directed towards the cooker. The fireplace surround was a decorated ( cooper /bronze finish that could be lifted for cleaning and washing the tiles.

The surround which was made of Wood (probably plywood) was designed like 3 boxes - ie each side was a long box with the top being formed with a bevelled panel at the front and a the ends of the 2 sides forming "ends" to this.. We used to have things like candlestick - no candles and I can remember a little siver version of the Coronation coach that I had been given was allowed space up there too!. The real business end was all in the kitchen and is referred to in the advert as the "Cooker" which combined ovens with water heating and separate gas ring which could be swung up out of the way to allow you to place pots on the top of the range. It was alll black and used to get an annual coat of Japlac black enamel paint after it had been thoroughly cleaned inside and out (and I mean the working parts where soot an other debris had gathered over the past months or years). Other vents were removed and similarly treated.

It would be really good to see the Cooker end of this appliance.

Personally I really do think this was a great device which would have had a great future with environmentalists especially if it had been adapted to allow for other fuels.. but then again maybe it had.

Pity that The Corpo did not keep some old houses with models of the decor and technology used through the ages.

Kind regards

MM

+Quote Post
ktv
post 5th Mar 2016, 11:02am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
QUOTE (ExPOW @ 25th Feb 2016, 06:19pm) *
There was always a brisk underground traffic of unused "Travellers" as we called them at school.
The 32 Bus Service was crewed by drivers and clippies from Knightswood Garage.
The stuff you remember......

Questions that have been asked:

"Who's responsible for the largescale destruction of the old Springburn?"

I know because I used to pal around with the man who, by the way, was a native of Springburn, went to Albert High and, as it happens, told me one day that he got his revenge on the place by driving the motorway through it. Architects and street planners wield awsome powers.

Just for old times' sake, here's a pic of one of the travesties to beset Balgrayhill during the 1960-70s era.

the high rise seem to be smaller in that pic for some reason.
and id agree that the motorway halving the area was one of the main factors in its decline.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 5th Mar 2016, 08:45pm
Post #19

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
There may be some optical distortion in the photograph but I distinctly recall
the number of floors being fixed at twenty-two stories. I counted 21. The first story is obscured by the, as they were sometimes referred to, "maisonettes".
Vertically, they were claimed to be the highest in Europe for the time. I suppose that meant above sea level.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 6th Mar 2016, 03:03pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
ye i think your right about the pic.
the maisonettes are lower now too as they chopped a few floors off them a few years ago.
im sure the balgary flats go higher than 21 though.

edit (just asked some one who stays there n he says they go up to 24)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.