Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Georges Cross, the shops on the corners.
*Guest*
post 26th Jul 2015, 10:33pm
Post #16

QUOTE (*jim* @ 29th Jun 2010, 10:08pm) *
The Shop IIRC was Machell's - a quality Radio TV retailer.

jim

......yes, Machells-used to be sent up on the 18 tram from Rutherglen, around the mid 1950's, with 5.00 to spend on Long Playing record albums, for my Aunt Jane Pearson...the place seemed to me to be a treasure trove of musical goodies, many of which survived until fairly recently, whe I had a big clear out....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
prince21
post 28th Jan 2018, 07:18pm
Post #17

Special Visitor
Member No.: 30,959
QUOTE (cowcaddens kid @ 7th Apr 2008, 11:04pm) *
Hi just been looking at a old tram photo of junction of St Georges Rd, with New city road and Great western road corners in picture , At new city road it was Wood and Selbys store and D M Hoey.
other corners Masseys at junction of maryhill road,
My question is what was the other big shop on great western road at Georges road , i remember this area in late 1950, early 60s before the motorway went through taking a lot of this bit away, tram picture was on National tram museum site at Crich . Anyone help or remember -its one of those niggling ones at the back of my mind

I hope you can help. http://www.tramway.co.uk/photos/73/7290.jpg

Thanks for listening Gee

Being born in Cowcaddens can anyone remember the regency bar and cakelands dairy in Cambridge Street? The bar was on the corner of Dalhousie Street at the tramcar terminus acroos the road from Cambridge picture house.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 29th Jan 2018, 12:11am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi prince21, I can read your PM to me but for some reason I cant reply to it, I will check my files for the items you mentioned and if I find any I will post them on this thread

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
prince21
post 29th Jan 2018, 11:19am
Post #19

Special Visitor
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 29th Jan 2018, 12:11am) *
Hi prince21, I can read your PM to me but for some reason I cant reply to it, I will check my files for the items you mentioned and if I find any I will post them on this thread

Bye for now, norrie

Hi Norrie thanks for your reply i was in the Cowcaddens this morning as i am most days unless i,m working i appreciate your help.
In my job in B&Q i meet many elderly customers who have much better memories of the old days than me. Thanks again Norrie I,m just going back down to pick up my daughter at Glasgow school of Art before she reports me to childline just a joke she,s 23yrs of age . I will get the customers name who lived in Airdrie St you,re bound to know him and will be in touch. Take care Dougie

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 29th Jan 2018, 11:28pm
Post #20

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Wood and Selbys were on both corners.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 30th Jan 2018, 11:05am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Prince 21, here are the shots I have in my collection of Cambridge st and Airdrie st, not of them were take by me, they were sent to me, may be off The Mitchell site
No picture of the Regency pub, I await a reply from a pub site webmaster, the pub may have had several names in its days, cant find a shot of Caklend
More to follow

Airdrie st, Port Dundas rd 1928

Airdrie st, Port Dundas rd 1963

Cambridge st 1960

Cambridge st 1960

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 30th Jan 2018, 11:10am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Cambridge st 1960

Cambridge st 1963

Cambridge st, Buccleuch st

Cambridge st, Hill st, May 1961

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 30th Jan 2018, 11:15am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Prince21, that's all I have, if I get a shot of The Regency Bar I will post it on here
I doubt I will know the guy your in contact with, while I know the area, I didn't live there

Bye for now, Norrie

Cambridge st

Cambridge st 1950

Cambridge st 1963

+Quote Post
prince21
post 30th Jan 2018, 01:50pm
Post #24

Special Visitor
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 30th Jan 2018, 11:15am) *
Hi Prince21, that's all I have, if I get a shot of The Regency Bar I will post it on here
I doubt I will know the guy your in contact with, while I know the area, I didn't live there

Bye for now, Norrie
Thanks Norrie for the photo,s of Cambridge St I,ve allready been down there this morning will have to back later to pick up my daughter. The photo,s are great i had a classmate that lived there at the tenement going down to New city rd next to the piano shop. i used to walk up the lanes between Cambridge st and the Cowcaddens. Thanks again Norrie
Cambridge st

Cambridge st 1950

Cambridge st 1963

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.