Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Council Funds 40million Arena Bailout, ... as social work redundancies are criticised
Patter Merchant
post 17th Jun 2010, 03:25pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
QUOTE (Heather @ 16th Jun 2010, 09:54pm) *
In a way this is a no win situation or a win situation.
If the Council don't get this development built where will the Athlete's stay??
Hopefully after the Games, the Units will be available to re-house the homeless.

Heather, as far as I know this development will not house any athletes, the houses are purely a speculative business venture which has fallen through and the council has stepped in because it includes the National Arena where a couple of sports for the 2014 games will take place.

No chance of these homes being available to the city's homeless!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Jun 2010, 09:19pm
Post #17

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow residents were today informed that the Labour-controlled council has "brought forward the need for the 40m savings", the same figure which will be diverted to bail out the riverside project.

40m of new cuts for Glasgow

Glasgow’s residents will see cuts coming harder and sooner after council chiefs were forced to tear up their forecast for the next financial year.

City officials now warn that an additional 40 million in savings will be needed in 2011/12 to head off a worse-than-anticipated settlement from the Scottish Government. ...

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...asgow-1.1036853

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th May 2013, 09:59pm
Post #18

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Three years on and the council is still pumping money into this farce, even after already syphoning 40m of public money into a music venue at a time when it is making huge cuts to core services for vulnerable people.

The Hydro, which sits alongside the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) in Glasgow, is also running millions of pounds over budget amid legal wranglings between the contractor and the client, the SECC.

Main contractor Lend Lease is holding out for around 98 million while the SECC is sticking to a fee of around 90m in a disagreement over the final bill. ...

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...-arena.21105165

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 19th May 2013, 02:38pm
Post #19

Is it the same mob who are doing the tramms in Edinburgh. I hope theyr'e not doing the new bridge as well. ha-ha

+Quote Post
CAT
post 20th May 2013, 02:11pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
This really annoys me if I give a client a price for a job I check everything I need to in order to give them that price. Once that written quotation has been done and agreed I can not go back half way through and ask for more money. This just makes a mockery of the whole procurement process. Price agreed should be the price we pay and if the company hasn't costed the job properly tough luck if they can't do it then they don't get paid. This is as bad as the Edinburgh tram fiasco.
And why do we need another concert facility. We need houses better roads transport ect

+Quote Post
CAT
post 20th May 2013, 02:17pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
And as for the social work cuts it's not just social workers jobs that are affected it's ordinary workers and the services they provide to not only children but the elderly and vulnerable in our society. The sooner we Glaswegiens reduce the power labour have the better as from my experience there a great many of them (not all) are greedy, self serving and useless.

Ooops am I Ranting laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.