Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Glasgow Effect, Glaswegians dying younger
GG
post 23rd Mar 2010, 10:38pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Shocking new research published yesterday shows for the first time the extent to which politicians and planners have failed to adequately address alarming death rates across all social classes in the city. The research, conducted by the Glasgow Centre for Population Health, shows that thousands more people in Glasgow are dying prematurely than in other UK cities, even in ex-industrial cities which have comparable levels of poverty and deprivation.

Results from the study show that – when compared to Liverpool and Manchester – 4,500 more Glaswegians have died between 2003 and 2007 from a wide variety of diseases: from cancer and heart disease to alcohol and drug abuse.

The increased death rate among Glaswegians can be seen across the social spectrum, with a 15% higher mortality rate among the city's most affluent, an almost 20% higher rate in those with the next highest incomes, and an 18% higher rate among the city's most deprived.

Expert scientific opinion is divided as to the underlying cause of what is now being referred to as the 'Glasgow Effect'; however, epidemiologists are increasingly skeptical of the cause being related directly to genetic, biological or climate factors.

Referring to the figures, Professor Phil Hanlon, an expert in public health at Glasgow University, urged an end to a culture of denial in Glasgow as to the nature and extent of the problem:
"There are a lot of policymakers and city fathers who are in denial about this. We are really concerned about the people of Glasgow. Let's look honestly at the problem."

David Walsh, lead author of the study, added:
"The 'Glasgow Effect' is about people missing out on their grandchildren growing up and the grief of losing relatives. When you see the number of alcohol-related deaths, you have to remember people do not drink themselves to death for no reason. There must be other things causing stress in their lives."

A recently-published book, The Tears That Made The Clyde, by Milngavie author Carol Craig has claimed – somewhat controversially – that the underlying causes of the 'Glasgow Effect' are more likely to be found in Glasgow's history of dysfunctional family life, poor relationships between men and women, a selfish macho culture, violence and crime, and, importantly, profound inequality and division.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**tommyboy**
post 24th Mar 2010, 12:44am
Post #2

Did I miss something here, when did any politicain ever give a sh*t about the ordinary hard working plebe in the street. Who are we kidding ! Are we saying that these selfish junket mad pocket lining labour MP's and councillors ever gave a sh*t about anyone apart from themselves and the partry line.

Give me a break !!!!

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 24th Mar 2010, 03:11am
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
In my estimation, alcohol plays a major role in the shortening of life to those who partake of it. I also have friends at Liverpool and Morecambe where this problem, I am informed, has been taken aboard for review as the consumtion of alcoholic beverages has, while NOT disappeared, been curtailed somewhat.
As for the upper-crusts' denial of what's happening, they should pull their heads out of the sand, take heed of what Liverpool has done and address the problem at hand in bonnie Glasgow.
'Tis no wonder my cousin in Streetly now refers to your city as GlassCow! She must be thinking of how 'cut-up' the city is becoming.

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
Billy Gibson
post 24th Mar 2010, 09:24am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,013
It is becoming extremely difficult to give sympathy to my fellow Scots. No one forces anyone to partake of more then their fair share of alcohol. Perhaps the Scottish mentality is, let us drink more to escape the problems of life, rather than you personally doing something to help
yourself, you could help the elderly in your area, you could get your finger out, and form a group to elect councillors who will support with the wishes of the people. The wealthy of Scotland who have a drink problem can blame the fact that they have the money to overspend on alcohol,
you have been caught up in the fact that one must drink up big at conferences in the hope that you can make more money. It is really not worth it as your families and partners in life suffer, should you employ people then indeed they will also suffer in the long run. I find it difficult to understand why many Scots continue to show the world that you are able to drink a bottle of the best Malt Whisky and you are hard drinkers. Only the individuals can help themselves do not expect others to help you, I had a father who died at 52 because of his drinking problems, I came from a poor family do I have a drinking problem NO! One can look for all the answers regarding their problem of drinking and never find it, you would achieve more if you thought of others whom you affect rather than your self pity.

I have lived overseas for many years and find it hard to continue the myth that Scotland is still a great country. As a nation that was responsible, in the past for many wonderful inventions, it seems to me that corruption and greed within the country has taken over. If that is indeed the case only the people can change their problems in life, If they have the backbone ? to do so, or you can continue to live in the past glory with nothing ahead of you.

All the best. as their is nothing else to say. except the ball is in your court!

+Quote Post
*Smith*
post 24th Mar 2010, 09:34am
Post #5

Having lived in and around Glasgow all my life, I don't think you can say it is any one thing on the above list that is the cause. Glaswegians are generally nice people who individually and as a group like to include outsiders, they are also mainly hardworking, creative and like to party hard, they are also proud of their history and are concerned about their international reputation. However, they have been unlucky in their choice of 'city fathers', who, down the years, seem less concerned about these issues and more about their own careers, and who pay a lot of lip service to issues. Glasgow needs more people in power with more imagination, the people of Glasgow deserve it. Having experienced most cities and towns in the UK, Glasgow is still my favourite. You can't buy warm hearts.

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 24th Mar 2010, 09:36am
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
Couldn't agree with you more chaps!!! Let me just throw two names from the last year into the hat for consideration: (1) Michael Martin, disgraced former leader of the House of Commons (2) Steven Purcell, disgraced former leader of Glasgow City Council. Does anyone really think these two individuals were thinking of the welfare of ordinary Glaswegians when they were in the process of becoming "disgraced"?

The figures from the report are truly shocking, especially when you think of the £billions and £billions of our money which has been thrown (into the pockets of consultants) at the 'initiatives' to 'address' this problem. Anyone remember GEAR? Anyone remember the SDA or the GDA?

And now we have the numpties telling us that the Commonwealth Games are going to solve Glasgow's problems.... at a cost of £450million!!!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 24th Mar 2010, 10:30am
Post #7

HOUSING not so much the state of housing the rent and rates £400.00 a month and over counting rates it no wonder the working man with a family wonders if its worth while working, and not being a racist the refugee prob is not helping, as for the drinking prob i was a heavy drinker many years ago not any more i cant affoard it beside that i just wanted to stop it as to was causing probs with my family best thing i ever done, what the solution is i dont know but it seems the political dont know either.

Scotlands winters dont help either but not alot anyone can do about that. As for voting ha ha thats a laugh there all in cahoots with each other the parties in Glasgow, saying that i still think Glesga is the greatest place on earth, and i know i`ve travelled the world and seen some horrific places, i`ll close now with the age old saying "LET GLASGOW FLOURISH" BUT NO THE BLOODY FOOLS WHO RUN IT. amen

+Quote Post
benny
post 24th Mar 2010, 11:20am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I'm at a bit of a loss here to understand the results of the poll. 33% of the voters think the problem is due to a "predisposition to drink or drugs", yet the article states that "epidemiologists are increasingly skeptical of the cause being related directly to genetic, biological or climate factors.".

If none of the above factors predispose to health problems, about the only factor left is social environment, so why didn't more people choose Deprivation and Poverty as the cause of the problem?

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Mar 2010, 11:24am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
PatMer,one aspect of politics which has puzzled me over the years is why Glaswegians, and inhabitants of the west in general persist in voting for the Labour party. I am not saying this as a Tory, my family were the same, "Got to vote Labour" but over the decades for certain members of our society lessons have never been learned. Generations are born, grow up and die in the same deprived conditions.No work, no education or incentive to do better and all under Labour authorities. Maybe it is time to give another party a chance,they certainly couldnt do any worse.

As I travel about Glasgow I see the big fancy developments, expensive flats and houses, big luxurious hotels which all add to the illusion that Glasgow is doing fine when the fact is for many citizens the nearest they will get to them is from the outside looking in.

Im not advocating any party. On a personal level I gave up voting a long time ago.

+Quote Post
jeanbev
post 24th Mar 2010, 11:34am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,458
Having lived in Glasgow for most of my life,I think it is a combination of a lot of factors. The harsh climate, bad housing, drink (and drugs) culture. There is also a genetic link, and the lack of decent employment, and the violence that has always been inherent in the city. When I was young women didnt go in to pubs unless they were accompanied by a man. Nowadays, young women are drinking as much if not more, than young men. Drinking wine was done by winos, now it's an accepted and encouraged way of life to down a bottle or two of wine of a night. Drink and drug fuelled violence in the home,a nd on the streets is prevalent, and no one seems to be able to do anything about it. Policing has changed as well.They are not even allowed to speak harshly, never mind anything else. It's a disgrace. And as for prison. What a joke. They wouldn't dare say we are turning the heating off in your cells tonight to save money on fuel, and you won't get a hot meal tomorrow either. There would be a riot and all the Human Rights folk would be up in arms. Not only that, the prisoners would all get legal aid to sue the authorities. But if you are a pensioner, and you can't afford to heat your home or have a hot meal Tough. Not only that, we are not looking after you when you get sick unless you have money to pay for it. No wonder the population is dying off at a younger age. The Glasgow Effect is worrying, but the whole British Effect is even worse. And as for Immigration! Well that's another issue.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th Mar 2010, 12:03pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I can't decide which to vote for. rolleyes.gif

I think everything on the list contributes to the Glasgow Effect. sad.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stratson
post 24th Mar 2010, 12:15pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Heather @ 24th Mar 2010, 12:20pm) *
I can't decide which to vote for. rolleyes.gif

I think everything on the list contributes to the Glasgow Effect. sad.gif

Heather, before I read your post I was going to state your words -------SNAP!

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Mar 2010, 12:33pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I settled for Genetic Make-Up based on an article which I read back in January of this year.
I was going to write and post a summary but decided to search for the original article since it is quite detailed.
It shows that although DNA doesn't change, changes in genetic behaviour governed by epigenes for example in pre-puberty boys, can effect the longevity of their own grandsons by factors of up to 32 years.
Definitely worth reading and certainly sheds some light on the Glasgow Effect
In a nutshell, our own bad behaviours can predispose our kids - before they are conceived - to disease and early death.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...1951968,00.html

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
carmella
post 24th Mar 2010, 01:50pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
When I heard about this, I cannot say I was altogether shocked. I think some of it is down to deprivation in certain areas, a predisposition to family genetics, and possible drink and drugs. The latter might be the result of some of the other things I've mentioned.

As Jupiter said there are many in Glasgow who can only look at some of the buildings he has mentioned. Bad housing in bad areas, unemployment and social circumstances, must play a part.

I was really quite unsure which of the options to vote for, as I think all of them must play a part.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 24th Mar 2010, 02:35pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
Some in the medical poffession say it's my generation who are carriers of the old diseases.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.