Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Steven Purcell: Glasgow In Crisis, Could leader's downfall damage city?
wee davy
post 7th Mar 2010, 10:52pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
nice to see you two kiss and make up, glasgow lass & mathison rolleyes.gif
just on a serious note, my heart goes out to all close to the man - all too easy to nail a'body when their down.
its not as if he just ran amok with an AK47 in the middle of George Square now, is it?

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*J.Irvine BELL*
post 7th Mar 2010, 11:06pm
Post #32

I doubt if anyone who has entered the public arena has the right to seek special dispensation when they fall from grace in such a way as Mr. Purcell. He is a disgrace to our City and whether or not he entered politics from deeply held beliefs or for personal grandiose reasons he has proved to be pretty usless. I have every sympathy with addicts of every kind, being one myself but little for those who are two faced about their problem when they themselves are public servants. I doubt if this will damage our City. In our future his name will be forgotten except for those misguided soles who thought he was some kind of "Great ***** Hope" for a better City.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Mar 2010, 11:10pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
It's not as if he ran amok with an AK47 in the middle of George Square.

But he wont have that space cadet glow any more without his bullet-proof A class vest.
Anyone who snorts his way to the top should not be pitied when reality bites.
The people to be pitied are the citizens who were taken for a ride on his high.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Mar 2010, 11:24pm
Post #34

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It seems that this story has some way to run, if you believe some journalists that is ... maybe even to the General Election???

From The Times tomorrow, Monday:

Labour chiefs ‘warned of Purcell’s cocaine habit two years ago’

Senior Labour Party figures were made aware two years ago of rumours that Steven Purcell, the former Glasgow City Council leader, was a cocaine- user but they dismissed them as “malicious gossip”.

It is understood that the possibility that Mr Purcell could be a drug-user was raised in a conference call of Labour politicians and advisers in the run-up to the Glasgow East by-election as they considered possible candidates.

The then council leader was being considered at the highest levels of the party as a suitable candidate for the Westminster seat after the front-runner, Councillor George Lyon, failed to turn up at a selection meeting. ...

Full story here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle7053338.ece

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Alan Mitchell*
post 8th Mar 2010, 12:21am
Post #35

Just once I'd like to see a politician/football player/person of note say "So what! Yes I use drugs and they are a great adjunct to a full life but like all things ithey must be taken in moderation".

+Quote Post
Celyn
post 8th Mar 2010, 01:26am
Post #36

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,912
QUOTE (GG @ 7th Mar 2010, 11:58am) *
Comments will be allowed here in the context of how Mr Purcell's downfall could affect the future of the city of Glasgow, and/or the effect these events could have on the Labour Party in Scotland.

Please respect Mr Purcell's right to privacy regarding his personal life: he is a young man who tried his best for the city he loves, and both he, and the city, must now look to the future.

Well, look on the bright side, it is just remotely possible that this spectacularly mismanaged breakdown might even be good for Glasgow, if it means that perhaps now some more critical and aware attention might be paid to those we pay to run the place. You know, it might make "newspapers" like the Herald and the unutterably dire Evening Times be not quite so obsequious in their "reporting".

Steven Purcell would have done better to hold his hands up to the thing in the first place. Bringing in the big shots was, um, an error of judgement, shall we say? It set alarm bells ringing all over the place.

Yes, if Steven Purcell is ill, I wish him all the best in his recovery.

BUT, if there has been some kind of cover-up going on, I do want to know about it. Other councillors, particularly those close to him in his own party, must have known about this. He was Leader of the City Council, in charge of all our council tax money. Sympathy to anyone who is ill, and no harm to the fella personally, but I want to know what more is to come out of this. And why so soon after the whole SPT expenses thing? Did he step on somebody's toes, somebody who might have said "See you? Ah'm gonnae tell on you"?

But how about this from the Herald?
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...-line-1.1011630

... Instead the discussion was about whether he should quit immediately or wait until the annual general meeting of the city Labour group in May. If it was the latter, the plan was to clear his diary for eight weeks, and use the time to let him recuperate and line up a job outside politics....

Oh really? Just quietly have the chap doing nothing for eight weeks but don't tell the public? THAT, I think is what is interesting here. A certain clubby sort of culture in the council whereby all can be covered up, and we don't want those pesky wee voters to know anything, do we?

Not impressed with his behaviour and not impressed with that of those who covered up for him.

+Quote Post
*G.T.Patterson*
post 8th Mar 2010, 01:50am
Post #37

Perfidious Politicians! What more can the electorate expect?

G.T.Patterson, Brisbane Australia. Roots-- Bathgate.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 8th Mar 2010, 02:31am
Post #38

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
In all probability, many of his cohorts on the Labour side would have been aware that Mr. Purcell had drink and drugs problems but chose to stay silent on the matter, perhaps exacerbating the mans illness. What worries me about this inaction is that there may be others of whatever political hue doing exactly the same as he did and attempting to brush it all under the carpet or up the nose.

I had no time for the guy as he always seemed intent on mischief making with the workers and unions as well as the schools closure debacle and part privatisation of council resources. I'm not going to start to be hypocritical now.

Apparently, there are plans to close some stress centres in the city, I believe this is to happen in Castlemilk. Surely in light of these revelations, a rethink is in order.

Another aspect which occured to me was this; how many decisions that affect our everyday lives were taken whilst he was using drugs and could the council face challenges in court over those decisions? Unlikely I know, but possible nevertheless.

I wish him well regarding his health, but hope we never see such a mendacious duplicitous self serving toerag in charge of our city ever again.
His links to organised crime ought to see him in court and he had the nerve to close down Paddy's Market and attempt the closure of the Barras on the same grounds?

His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Mar 2010, 07:38am
Post #39

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 8th Mar 2010, 02:48am) *
Another aspect which occured to me was this; how many decisions that affect our everyday lives were taken whilst he was using drugs and could the council face challenges in court over those decisions? Unlikely I know, but possible nevertheless.

Interestingly Tam, that is exactly the process that has begun this morning, led by SNP MP John Mason. I think it will be almost impossible for Glasgow Labour to avoid a formal investigation given the seriousness of the allegations that are emerging. And, of course, with the SNP in power at Holyrood, it would be a great opportunity for them to keep focus on Labour in the lead up to the General Election.

Commenting on a possible investigation, Glasgow East MP John Mason of the SNP said today:

"The whole thing stinks. We need answers.

In relation to the visit of senior police officers to Mr Purcell, we need to know who are the people suggested as having applied pressure to him in terms of possible blackmail threats.

And crucially, has this had any impact on public policy in the city of Glasgow?

Given the massive budgets managed by the council, there is a clear case for Audit Scotland carrying out a thorough investigation in light of the events of recent days.

The people of Glasgow, and Scotland as a whole, deserve to know the full facts."

In a quickly drafted response from Labour, councillors in Glasgow are now suggesting that Mr Purcell was now not as omnipotent as he was portrayed:

"There is an executive committee to take decisions. He was leader of the Labour group.

He did not run the council single-handedly. That was a media myth - one we played up to because he was a good brand for us.

There were lots of people in the council coming up with proposals and making decisions. The council is still just as capable as it was.

The council is no longer talking about former councillor Purcell. We are back to the business of running the city council."

Taken from the Daily Record, which has been shaken into doing some real political reporting:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics...86908-22094106/

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
carmella
post 8th Mar 2010, 08:46am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I think it is a tragedy in many respects and, agree with most of the comments both good and bad so far.

I suppose at the end of the day, no one can know what decisions were taken whilst he was under the influence of a substance.

But, what I think is clear, is that his colleagues will have known he had a problem of some description.

I think it will run for a while. I do not think it will damage Glasgow in the long run.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Mar 2010, 10:01am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I was surprised when reading the article in the Record that another Labour Councillor said that ,"Purcell did not actually make big decisions he was just a brand ".

I wonder what it means to say that Purcell was just a 'brand' and what he did to earn his 60,000 a year, did he get paid that money just for being a Council Leader???

I remember when Purcell was made the Council Leader and it was discussed on the GG Board in another Thread. Dexter, who never had a good word for anyone, was very sarcastic about Purcell saying he would be worse than useless, or words to that effect.

I don't think this news will have any effect on the City of Glasgow as a whole, all we can do hope Purcell receive's the Treatment he needs to recover from his drug addiction.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 8th Mar 2010, 10:02am
Post #42

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
The death of Danus McKinlay

I've only seen the below in The Scotsman (see below) - has this been reported elsewhere?

Bring back Taggart.

Regards

Ian

On Friday morning, now thought to be back at home with his family in Glasgow, Purcell was still insistent that he was going to carry on as a councillor. But the media frenzy – sparked by the sense that only the tip of a very big iceberg had been revealed – was overwhelming him. He decided he was going to quit as a councillor altogether. It was reported, meanwhile, that he would be leaving the country, for up to a year.

And, from nowhere, came a terrible postscript. An 18-year-old Labour activist close to Purcell, Danus McKinlay, had dropped dead outside Glasgow City Chambers. McKinlay was said to have "idolised" Purcell. "He would have done anything for him," said one Labour contact.

His death was unrelated to the affair surrounding Purcell – the youngster suffered from heart problems as well as diabetes and asthma. But by the evening, his untimely death was already being associated, however irrationally, to the Purcell story.

"A lot of people will be saying that he had been dragged into things by Steven that he shouldn't have been. It's unfair but that's the truth," said one ally.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:19am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Heather you are right and I remember that thread.

Glasgow Chap started it - his post was edited and some of it deleted.

You can see that thread HERE

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Mar 2010, 03:18pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Carmella, I had a look at that Thread and it seems it was Glasgow Chap who thought Purcell would be useless, not Dexter.

O gee whiz, imagine having to apologise to Dexter. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
carmella
post 8th Mar 2010, 04:39pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Mar 2010, 03:35pm) *
Carmella, I had a look at that Thread and it seems it was Glasgow Chap who thought Purcell would be useless, not Dexter.

O gee whiz, imagine having to apologise to Dexter. wub.gif

I agree Heather - don't even go there LOL.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.