Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Steven Purcell: Glasgow In Crisis, Could leader's downfall damage city?
*Guest*
post 7th Mar 2010, 05:03pm
Post #16

GG, while I respect your obvious and admirable desire not to turn this article into an opportunity for the wanton, frivolous disrespect of Mr Steven Purcell, may I also compare your view on this matter:

Please respect Mr Purcell's right to privacy regarding his personal life: he is a young man who tried his best for the city he loves, and both he, and the city, must now look to the future.

With that of a professional journalist writing in one of the UK's most-respected newspapers:

To suggest that there is no legitimate public interest in the ex-Labour council leader's situation is disingenuous and dangerous. Steven Purcell made decisions that affect the lives of the 600,000 people who depend on Glasgow City Council services. He also spent their council tax. He was responsible for a budget of 2.3 billion and the employment of 40,000 people. He had ambitions to even greater power and was tipped by his supporters as a future first minister.

A politician in a position of power who abused illegal drugs would have broken the law. Voters have a right to know that. Possession of cocaine, for example, carries a maximum eight-year prison sentence. An elected member dependent on illegal drugs could also be compromised and the more power and influence he has, the more open he is to blackmail and bribery. He may come into contact with criminal elements to obtain the drug. If his habit is severe, how does he fund it? A politician with a coke habit is a greater liability than a pop star with a coke habit. Amy Winehouse is pilloried for her behaviour, but her addiction really only harms herself and her family.

Taken from: http://joanmcalpine.typepad.com

In the latter context, is it not fair to assume that Mr Purcell's "personal life" may have had a material effect on the very important decisions he made while leader of the largest local authority in Scotland, and a detailed understanding of the issues is therefore in the public interest?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 7th Mar 2010, 05:06pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Must have been a slow day fer the media, they had to write aboot something lol.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Mar 2010, 05:13pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I suppose in the long run Purcell's behavioural pattern of substance abuse will have no greater effect on the City of Glasgow than the obvious embarrassment any city feels when it's leaders are thrown into the limelight because of their personal failings rather than their flashes of brilliance. I suspect however that more embarrassment might be forthcoming in the city when further leeks headline the hidden side of this sad example of someone for whom the dizzy heights of success could only be held in equilibrium with the aid of class A drugs.
Glasgow will survive Purcell, but will his aids and political associates?

Perhaps his dealings with the criminal classes might better be discussed under the "Hypocritical Labour" topic.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 7th Mar 2010, 05:33pm
Post #19

The Evening Times has been the PR paper of the city council. They have not reported this matter in anything like a paper that claims to know Glasgow should. Wonder how they will try and cover it to morrow. The Herald has likewise sort of tried to brush it under the counter. The "East of Scotland" press has been far more informative along with the BBC. A wee scandal mag called the Digger is out selling the ET in a wee paper shop up in Saracen Street I pop into from time to time. Its no wonder.
I feel very sorry for this man. There but for the grace of god etc. However I have seen a lot of able politicians brought down Profumo, Jeremy Thorpe, then Paddy Ashdown, then the David Mellor affair plus Jonathon Aitken. I hope Mr Purcell seeks help and is able to carry on with a new life somewhere out of the spotlight. The Labour party must be in overdrive this weekend so expect lots of PR "puff" in tomorrows Glasgow papers. This week I will buy the Scotsman for any real Glasgow news.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 7th Mar 2010, 05:43pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 7th Mar 2010, 05:04pm) *
Must have been a slow day fer the media, they had to write aboot something lol.

Are you suggesting that the situation whereby a drug-abusing council leader in charge of 2.6 billion pounds of public money, responsible for 40,000 employees and the aspirations of a city of a population of 600,000 is a non-story that should have been swept under the carpet by the press?

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 7th Mar 2010, 05:54pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I think one question has to be,"Were decisions made by Purcell when he was under the influence of illegal substances?"
This whole scenario is beyond belief.
It appears he was interviewed by SDEA in May 2009 yet he stayed on for almost another year.
Really,words fail me regarding his behaviour.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 7th Mar 2010, 06:43pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 7th Mar 2010, 05:41pm) *
Are you suggesting that the situation whereby a drug-abusing council leader in charge of 2.6 billion pounds of public money, responsible for 40,000 employees and the aspirations of a city of a population of 600,000 is a non-story that should have been swept under the carpet by the press?

Awk Mathieson get a life will'yi , my comment was a joke, guess it
didn't come out like that to you, did'yi no see ma LOL.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 7th Mar 2010, 06:57pm
Post #23

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
It is one really big story. You wonder what went on with his minions at the council by way of covering up for him. I've read that his staff made sure he had no important meetings or appointments on a Monday.

It is a shocking state of affairs that we have to rely on the Scotsman as the Evening Times and Herald are now so tainted.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
*wee dan*
post 7th Mar 2010, 08:23pm
Post #24

I would like to know if Purcell out of it when he brought in the 4 on 4 off shift pattern for the cleansing workers which clearly is not working as the place is stinking, and was he out of his head again when he took on the games which he was advised not to touch them???

+Quote Post
*charlie Mc 24*
post 7th Mar 2010, 09:00pm
Post #25

No one trust councillors in Glasgow or North Lanarkshire, they are just look after themselves and forget all about the public who voted them in,

Maybe once in a while they would put something back into the community instead of taking it out.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 7th Mar 2010, 09:13pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 7th Mar 2010, 06:41pm) *
Awk Mathieson get a life will'yi , my comment was a joke, guess it
didn't come out like that to you, did'yi no see ma LOL.

Oops, my apologies glasgow lass. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 7th Mar 2010, 09:18pm
Post #27

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
I find this to be a subject of which I am not aware and hence am not able to comment.

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 7th Mar 2010, 09:24pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 7th Mar 2010, 09:11pm) *
Oops, my apologies glasgow lass. smile.gif

No problem Mathieson>>>>>>> L,,,,,,O,,,,,,L tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 7th Mar 2010, 09:44pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Saw it that time! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 7th Mar 2010, 09:46pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif Aye yoor a quick study .

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.