Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weekend Bin Collections In Glasgow, Controversial rota system for workers
*cnoelrogers*
post 12th Feb 2010, 10:06am
Post #16

Why do the Council need to save money? Could it possibly be for the Commonwealth Games in 2014? Our leaders seem to be fixated with these Games.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Feb 2010, 11:18am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I think the bins are better than bags. Bags can burst or be broken with any cats or dogs going around, and the bins are a cleaner way of storing rubbish.

I don't agree with the week-end collections and I don't see any benefit from it.
Probably thought up some highly over paid official trying to prove their worth by thinking up this crazy idea.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 12th Feb 2010, 11:50am
Post #18

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,122
disagree with last post....this is a union ploy to excert more pressure on Council when negotiating......
However, further to my previous post about these changes..............
I now now confirm that just 5 minutes ago (Friday 12th @ 11.20am), the 'new cleansing squad' called.....and yes....they only lifted the refuse from the other side of the road, leaving all the odd numbers to wonder....!
T/P the Council 'Helpline' and what i got was a series of 'stories' about delays in new timetables etc, etc, etc, although there was an overwhealming silence when asked why only the odd numbers had been lifted......does this mean that the even numbers will be kept for 'overtime' at the weekends.....the response was silence...!
Perhaps other residents can check the 'Even & Odd' saga, perhaps I have discovered the basis of these proposals.......either way, what a shambles...!

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 12th Feb 2010, 05:00pm
Post #19

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
Personally I would applaud the workers if they took a stand here and opted for industrial action. All across the council poorly-qualified management sycophants are taking half-cocked decisions based on little more than a hunch in their desire to shaft men and women struggling through a recession brought on by incompetent bankers. It's time for decent, hard-working employees to get together and demand the right to be treated as humans rather than work slaves.

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 12th Feb 2010, 07:14pm
Post #20

Special Visitor
....meanwhile back in reality planet....when are we going to get a service instead of some PR pish about budgets....As of 19.01 tonight, I still have a green bin and 8 black bags to uplift......!
All this crap about streamlining the service omits one very important factor.....when are the F****** bins going to be emptied.....
Its time the Council and the Union started to smell just what they are shovelling.........!

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 13th Feb 2010, 04:45am
Post #21

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
The whole idea of this is to save the council money, so comments about greedy trades unionists trying to cream off some overtime are well wide of the mark. The binmen will be paid at their basic hourly rate and will be told to give up their weekends or else.
Who on earth wants to hear the bin lorries over the weekend with all their noise when we all just want to relax when we can? Now, I am not in the least religeous, but I can well understand that not only workers but many council tax payers will be offended by this move.
And there was me thinking the council was a non discriminatory employer! Mind you, I used to think that as a LABOUR council that they would look after their own workers. Tories with red rosettes if you ask me.

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 13th Feb 2010, 11:04am
Post #22

Special Visitor
Well Reds under the Bed or not, the point still remains that some kind of service is needed, and while the various factions fight it out to pass-the buck on this whole shambles..... we still need our bins emptied...
And another gem for you to consider.....
When T/P today, Saturday, and reminding them of the fact that I still have a green bin and NINE black bags awaiting collection, they apologised, but could do nothing for me....... and wait for it..... "They cannot get through to the Depots, as they DO NOT answer the phones at the weekend"
Well folks, it doesn't take too much gray material to see that.... why have a service at the weekends... when they don't even answer the phone, so are independently doing their own thing, and bugger us if we don't get a service......... This farce needs to be made into a TV comedy for people to see just what a shambles this Council is in.....!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Feb 2010, 12:47pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (bigdrew @ 13th Feb 2010, 12:02pm) *
..... we still need our bins emptied...
......... This farce needs to be made into a TV comedy for people to see just what a shambles this Council is in.....!

Now that's a good idea. Call it ... "Whe's yo' bin?"
Ah've bin for a *****. (Fill in the missing word rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
j.irvine bell
post 14th Feb 2010, 02:48pm
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 7,615
mad.gif Further to my post on 12th Feb.. Guess whose bin was not emptied on Saturday 13th Feb. when the new rota system started for this area. Most of my neighbours and I put our bins into a lane at the rear of our houses, which is a cul-de-sac. This has never been a problem in the past but yesterday, when our area was to be served, all the bins in the street and the bins in the continuation of our lane, which is not a cul-de-sac, were emptied. We now have not had a collection for 11 days and the bins are full with another 6 days refuse to gather. Phew what a mess. Methaphorically and literally. sad.gif

+Quote Post
**George**
post 14th Feb 2010, 03:13pm
Post #25

The situation is similar for me and my neighbours, but with an unfortunate twist. Our old allocation was Thursday morning and the new one is Friday morning. Quite a few residents played safe and put the bins out on Thursday... they were not collected. They were not collected on Friday either... and on Saturday night a bin was set fire to, the charred remains are now melted into the pavement causing an unsightly obstruction. No assistance has been available by telephone.

I found the link to this web page while searching for the phone number! I also found a link to a page which rubbishes (sorry about the pun) the claim that Glasgow City Council is the first local authority to (allegedly) collect bins at the weekend. Seems like spin - rather than action - is the order of the day in George Square.

http://www.pkc.gov.uk/Council+and+governme...his+weekend.htm

George Miller.

+Quote Post
j.irvine bell
post 14th Feb 2010, 04:02pm
Post #26

Settling In
Member No.: 7,615
rolleyes.gif Wowee Bins Lifted 3.20 p.m. on the Sabbath Wrooooong!!! sad.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 15th Feb 2010, 03:32pm
Post #27

Special Visitor
UPDATE......UPDATE.......UPDATE
There are now 11 black bags of crapola awaiting uplift....2 T/P complaints and 2 Registered e-mail complaints, and an e-mail complete with copies of the comments lodged in Glasgow Guide, sent to local Councillor.....so.....
plenty of action......
............STILL NO RUBBISH UPLIFT HOWEVER....!

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 15th Feb 2010, 08:34pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
I'm bewildered why a large City like Glasgow has all these problems that are mentioned on this thread..They have the sanitation dept...The management team.... scheduled meetings....why are there no heads rolling...this is another no-brainer to me..that dept. should run like clockwork as it does in most other places.

+Quote Post
*stonkytonk*
post 22nd Feb 2010, 08:55pm
Post #29

I am absolutely furious that bins are to be emptied at the weekend. I cherish the peace and quiet of the weekends and now we are going to be wakened by noisy lorries emptying bins, then we'll have the vans coming round to clean the bins, then our nice tidy pavements will be littered with bins. Can't stand this shit country any more. Lets start a petition or march or something - I for one am not standing for it. We all have to speak out and put a stop to this or life just won't be the same on a weekend!!!!! What do you think? Comments please.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 22nd Feb 2010, 10:57pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 13th Feb 2010, 04:43am) *
The whole idea of this is to save the council money, so comments about greedy trades unionists trying to cream off some overtime are well wide of the mark. The binmen will be paid at their basic hourly rate and will be told to give up their weekends or else.

Spot on Tam. Why do some people automatically assume that the Unions and their members are gaining from changes such as this? This was imposed on staff.
Across the Councils, we are being told that we have to change and change is being imposed - there are no negotiations.We've just lost public holidays so that staff who have to work on them are paid at the ordinary rate. There won't be a pay increase this year -management announced this and ignored the agreed procedures in doing so. If you're on 100,000, a pay freeze is a bit easier to bear than if you're a part-time, low-paid, short-term contract member of staff as so many Council staff are.
I'm not so sure that the service is improved either as there seems to be confusion across the board re when bins will be emptied. Services are being readied for privatisation.
The unions used to say "up the workers"; the managers now say the same!
Le durachd,

Eddy

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.