Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mp Gets Twiggy Advert Banned, Jo Swinson campaigns against airbrushing
Twiggy Olay Advert
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
stratson
post 18th Dec 2009, 12:30pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Billy Bunter @ 18th Dec 2009, 10:34am) *
Why doesn't Jo Swinson get on with the real job of a MP rather than seeking the limelight.

Agree with above coment.

Is it not common knowledge advertisements which are to boost sales of products no matter what, always exaggerate the true appearance of item. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Dec 2009, 12:45pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Dear Guest,
I for one did not set out to abuse or cast abuse at the MP.I was merely expressing my view that she showed poor judgement in getting involved in this.
Like many others I feel that there are other priorities that MPs could and should be involved in if they want on the front pages.

+Quote Post
marydee
post 18th Dec 2009, 09:31pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Ms Swinson is right to get involved the advert was misleading and Olay did not make Twiggy's eyes less wrinkled.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 18th Dec 2009, 10:21pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (marydee @ 18th Dec 2009, 10:29pm) *
Ms Swinson is right to get involved the advert was misleading and Olay did not make Twiggy's eyes less wrinkled.

this wee wombat widny mind makin her eyes twinkle biggrin.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 19th Dec 2009, 01:26am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
I am a little uneasy with the kind of argument that says an MP should not get involved in this or that issue because there are more pressing matters to attend to, not least because it's a recipe for halting just about all MP action. For any given issue, you can always find something more pressing, more apparently worthy of attention. Moreover, different people have different priorities, and what ranks highly to one person may rank pretty low to another. Misrepresentation is a perfectly proper interest for an MP to express a view on on behalf of his or her constituents, no matter whether that is the supposed health-giving properties of some snake-oil remedy or any of a range of practices that might attract the attention of Trading Standards.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 19th Dec 2009, 03:25am
Post #21

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I would have thought that it was in her constituents interests that Jo Swinton highlighted this advertising scam. Just think how many who might have parted with their hard earned cash to buy this product based on the highly misleading ads?
Maybe advertising companies will think twice in future before trying the same trick again.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 19th Dec 2009, 05:27pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I think it was the principle of false advertising that Ms. Swinton was highlighting. To do this you have to have something tangible as an example. Maybe now that authority, don't know who it is in UK now, will be more alert to this type of exaggerated advertising.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 19th Dec 2009, 06:26pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
The Advertising Standards Authority used to have this slogan about "Legal, Decent, Honest, and Truthful". Mind you, I lost confidence in the ASA as a self-regulating body a number of years ago, after that notorious incident of misleading advertising by MFI. They'd advertised a kitchen which gave the impression that a cooker was included in the price, but it wasn't. A BBC 'watchdog' camera team went to try and buy one, and were assaulted by the staff and attacked with an iron bar. It was captured on film. About a fortnight later, the ASA gave out its industry awards for advertising excellence, and guess who got it....

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
kerry4652
post 19th Dec 2009, 10:43pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,585
Aw gie's peace from all this utter nonsense. Women are so vain they will believe any old guff about how to look good.

It's a well known fact that no cream is beneficial and the best way to have a healthy skin is cover your face with a bag before going to bed.

You know I might get away with this and I expect a pint aff every one of you boys for doing us all a favour.

Oh aye and a right few quid fae the bag maker.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 19th Dec 2009, 11:18pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (kerry4652 @ 19th Dec 2009, 11:41pm) *
It's a well known fact that no cream is beneficial and the best way to have a healthy skin is cover your face with a bag before going to bed.

You know I might get away with this and I expect a pint aff every one of you boys for doing us all a favour.

Oh aye and a right few quid fae the bag maker.

Your feeling brave again , are you no!, I think you have been on the beer..., wacko.gif

I for one don't like the ads that air brush people, shame on them all they want to do is sell stuff , any stuff... I don't use anything on my face apart from Johnson's baby lotion and I have done for at least 30 years, I am sure there's a few who think I need to use a lot more , but at least I can look in the mirror every day and know the face thats looking back. tongue.gif But before you ask no I don't smoke on never have done .

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
kerry4652
post 19th Dec 2009, 11:27pm
Post #26

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Lennox @ 20th Dec 2009, 12:16am) *
Your feeling brave again , are you no!, I think you have been on the beer..., wacko.gif

I for one don't like the ads that air brush people, shame on them all they want to do is sell stuff , any stuff... I don't use anything on my face apart from Johnson's baby lotion and I have done for at least 30 years, I am sure there's a few who think I need to use a lot more , but at least I can look in the mirror every day and know the face thats looking back. tongue.gif But before you ask no I don't smoke on never have done .

Aye but you still hivnae bought the beer.

Ah thought that baby oil was just fur they massage sessions you talked aboot.

And ah never touched drink til ah realised that face in the mirror was mine.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 19th Dec 2009, 11:30pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (kerry4652 @ 19th Dec 2009, 11:25pm) *
Aye but you still hivnae bought the beer.

Ah thought that baby oil was just fur they massage sessions you talked aboot.

And ah never touched drink til ah realised that face in the mirror was mine.

I said baby lotion not Baby oil, and I just bought a case of 24 of yon German beer for a mere $8.99 us plus $1.26 tax so how does that make yer face look huh.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
kerry4652
post 19th Dec 2009, 11:30pm
Post #28

City Key Holder
Have you ever wondered why women living on the street are called bag ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nae oil of Ulay fur them.

Mind you ah dae like nivea, hiv tae cake that on on holiday to stop ma napper fae drying oot like a prune

+Quote Post
j.irvine bell
post 20th Dec 2009, 07:43pm
Post #29

Settling In
Member No.: 7,615
Thank goodness our M.P. has more to concern himself with than this trivia from an M.P. from one of the more obvious wealthy areas of our City ( if technically Bishopbriggs is not part of our City it has always been regarded as a wealthy suburb even in the good old Lanarkshire days. ). Try representing the people from Glasgow's East End and then perhaps you will see what really matters and what we the voters want, and in our present case get, from our London M.P.. Wake up and smell the coffee!!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 21st Dec 2009, 09:54pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
None of those face creams do what we are told they will do for our skin. If they did, we would all still look as we did in our 20s. I wish. laugh.gif

The adverts are a lot of nonsense. That's why I stick to Nivea. smile.gif

I watching a show on TV a while ago that Lulu was on, a show where the hand picked audience could ask questions and another Star told her she looked so young and wonderful.

I had to laugh, as just prior to seeing the show I read in the newspapers about some of those Stars who get Botox and Lulu was one of them.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.