Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Barrowland Isnae The Barras, Online campaign mixes up city icons
GG
post 19th Nov 2009, 10:48pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It sounded like a good idea: start an online campaign on a popular social networking site to save one of the UK's most popular music venues, The Barrowland. Cue thousands of angry music fans from all over the world posting heated condemnations of Glasgow City Council, in this, the very city which has just been crowned a Unesco City of Music.

One irate poster on the Facebook site, among many similar posters, claimed that "if Glasgow City Council are allowed to go through with this [the closure of The Barrowland], it will be an absolute travesty".

There was only one problem though: the Barrowland music venue is not – and never has been – under threat of closure by Glasgow City Council. In fact the council doesn't even own the popular venue!

Unfortunately the organisers of the online campaign mistook the famous ballroom for the equally famous Barras market, which is located downstairs from the gig venue. The confusion occurred after the Barras was subject to close attention by council officials, legitimate traders and Strathclyde Police, all of whom are eager to clean-up the market made famous by Margaret McIver, the barra's queen.

Sensitivities about any possible closure of The Barras are acute among a concerned Glasgow public following the closure of Paddy's Market in Shipbank Lane earlier this year.

Responding to the confusion, a Glasgow City Council spokesman said:
"The Barrowland is a legendary music venue, one that performers and audiences regularly refer to as one of the world's best. We look forward to the continued success of this Glasgow institution."

On the subject of its desire to clean up The Barras, the spokesman said:
"The Barras is a world-famous Glasgow institution, and an attraction that draws many people to the city. The city council would be very keen to ensure that this is the best Barras market it can possibly be, and would be interested in speaking to traders to explore any plans they may have for the development of The Barras."

Local MSP Frank McAveety added:
"The Barras is an essential part of Glasgow history and its people. I've had positive experiences there and many memories, and would want The Barras to return to that and be part of the wider East End regeneration. I'm very supportive of any efforts which would see legitimate traders taking greater ownership of the market and more responsibility for the negative aspects of it."

How to tell The Barrowland from The Barras:

The Barrowland: a nearly world-famous music venue.

The Barras: a (kind of) world-famous open-air market.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 20th Nov 2009, 12:06am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I am even embarrassed at such a public gaff.

Ian

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 20th Nov 2009, 12:37am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
All's well that ends well comes to mind Martin.

Cripes a mistake was made, aw soarted.....nae big deal at the end of the day.

Ian ye widnae dae well walkin a mile in ma shoes in a day if yer that easy embarrassed laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
GG
post 20th Nov 2009, 12:45am
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Catherine @ 20th Nov 2009, 12:35am) *
Cripes a mistake was made, aw soarted.....nae big deal at the end of the day.

Jeez Catherine, we're Glaswegians, and this the modern-day Steamie. Can we not at least have a wee session of 'tut-tut', "who's like us?" and "no in ma day!"??? laugh.gif

Ah... The Barras are Better!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Nov 2009, 01:43am
Post #5

Who's perfect. Who hasn't made a mistake? There's a lot more to worry about. There's our soldiers over in Afganistan? Who made the mistake of sending them there? Goverments are the worse for their screw ups.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 20th Nov 2009, 01:54am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Aye right enuf Martin.....ahv jist had it this week wae who tae fight next type a thing laugh.gif

Ah say Hang the Alexandro Bastedo...who wis the doughball onyway that goat it wrang in the first place laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 20th Nov 2009, 03:33am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (GG @ 20th Nov 2009, 01:43am) *
... and this the modern-day Steamie.

rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
bunch
post 20th Nov 2009, 03:59am
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 3,995
love the barras

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 20th Nov 2009, 05:29am
Post #9

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
rolleyes.gif glad we aw have the barra.s thing sorted out,and Barrowland still stands. good times there.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Nov 2009, 07:34am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Incidentally it gets right up my nose (plenty room there) when Barrowland is referred to as BarrowlandS. It happens all the time, especially in ads for gigs.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kaneman
post 20th Nov 2009, 07:43am
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,894
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Nov 2009, 09:32am) *
Incidentally it gets right up my nose (plenty room there) when Barrowland is referred to as BarrowlandS. It happens all the time, especially in ads for gigs.

Talkin aboot that dae yeh still get the welks in a broon paper poke wi a wee pin laugh.gif Miss the Barras, remember ahn uncle had a stall there probably 40 years ago

--------------------
People who say: "they slept like a baby" probably have never had one!

+Quote Post
*wilstar@hotmail.co*
post 20th Nov 2009, 09:09am
Post #12

The Barras are not only a retail outlet, antiques market, and sometimes reported dodgy dealings dive, but have other things to offer. Where can you find that old spanner, a bit of out of date machinery or kitchen appliance. You can see all types of people there. It is the home of the "Glaesga Banter" and the vendors trading their ares in the vocal diliberations to get you to part with your money are an excellent source of entertainment. Yes, you can still get those well known delicacies such as whilks and mussels. Alas, your wulks an mussells are now served in plastic bags or polystyrene cups, but you still get the pin to wheech oot the meat from the shell of your Wulk. I never miss getting my wulks an mussels every time I am in the vacinity of the Calton area at the weekends. yes the Barras have still a place in Glasgow for they are not only an institution but traditionally the gateway to the east end.

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 20th Nov 2009, 09:55am
Post #13

I am very concerned to hear that the great barras are under threat. It was a big treat going there when I was a wee yin. Used to look forward to the weekend, not just for anything given like toys but for the smells frying and so on. Allas not the same as it used to be but still it has to be saved as one of Glasgows great institutions. Long may it continue.

+Quote Post
**8ball345**
post 20th Nov 2009, 10:29am
Post #14

The council would't make so many crass blunders if they first consulted the people.Is that too much like old-fashioned common sense?
8ball

+Quote Post
lynno1
post 20th Nov 2009, 11:50am
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,341
glad it is sorted out as someone has already said aye the barras are better so glad as all my family were brought up in the calton kent st and still have family there. let glasgow flourish 4eva. all the best everyone cheers

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.