Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Accent Sounds Most Stupid, Researchers claim untainted snobbery
*Jim Crawford*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 01:51pm
Post #61

I was born in Glasgow and now presently living in Canada for the past 40 years and still have my Glasgow accent which I refuse to lose. I have owned my own retail business for going on 35 years and the only comments I have heard from people and customers are "I LOVE YOUR ACCENT". Never has it stood in my way or held me back. But then again when you look what country these idiotic oppinions are comming from it certainly isn't that surprising, is it?. Envy and Jealousy take many forms.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DaveEE
post 2nd Aug 2011, 02:05pm
Post #62

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,588
I've been in a few scraps because of my accent but the surprising thing is it has been in or around the Elgin and Nairn areas where they dont like the lowlanders and call us wegians so who cares what the Londoners think when people from our own country dont like how we sound! GETITRIGHTROONTHEM i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
rumcdonald
post 2nd Aug 2011, 02:31pm
Post #63

Resident
Member No.: 7,818
QUOTE (benny @ 1st Aug 2011, 06:32pm) *
The problem is that there's nae such thing as "a Glasgow accent", really. There are Glasgow accents, rangin all the way frae panloaf Kelvinside tae gutter Govan, wi numerous shades in between. (Sorry, Govanites, nae offence intended. Jist a bitta alliteration. biggrin.gif )

Some Glesga accents approximate merr tae Standard English than others, so it's quite possible that some are greater objects of prejudice than others.

I agree with Benny that there are many ranges of Glasgow accent. However, some of the real "broad" stuff puts even me off. I'm from Govanhill, and like Govan, there are many many shades of accents. I have never met anyone in Canada who didn't like my Glasgow accent..in fact they love it.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 2nd Aug 2011, 02:36pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I agree DaveEE, our own countryman can be just as bad when it comes to the Glaswegian accent. When I first started to research my family tree many years agos (before everything could be done online), I went through to Edinburgh's Register House, where, as soon as he heard my accent, the security guard thought it would be clever to make fun of my accent which kinda spoiled my day but being a lady I decided his stupid jibes were not worth answering. I have been back through more recently and things have change very much for the better and I now enjoy going through to do my reseach and also to do it in a very beautiful building.
While working in a call centre, doing directory enquiries for the UK, I have been asked if I came from everywhere from Ireland to Pakistan. Being called names is par for the course in called centres, but constantly having to explain to (usually English) people that I am not and never have been stupid and that calling me a Scottish b*****d is a racist comment and that they could be subject to prosecution does become extremely wearing after a while. Mary

+Quote Post
*Scot Rose*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 03:42pm
Post #65

I was raised in Glasgow and came to Canada at 19. My accent is still very strong although I am told when I go home I sound like a Canadian, yet here everyone detects my Glasgow background and tell me they love the accent, very rarely do I have someone tell me they cannot understand me but I know my accent does sound more authoratative than some wee meek mild mannored Canadian.

When I was first in Canada I was asked to tone it down a little as my accent was thick and my speach fast. I slowed down a little but never gave up my accent for a phony one thank you very much! I have been a successful business woman here for 25 years now. So if people are having a problem with your accent, succeed beyond their wildest imagination, they'll soon want to talk to you all the time, accent anaw!

As for the trash talkers of Glasgow, Everywhere has them. They embarrass me too.

When people do not finish their words or "put it on" stronger than it needs to be with the F's & C's thrown in for bad measure.

"You tell on yourself by the way you talk, the way you slouch and the way you walk". If you want to embarrass yourself, you can, go ahead but don't emply to the rest of the world that you represent a fair cross section of Galswegians!

We all had a great education in Glasgow, use it, don't be a numpty!

+Quote Post
*McScotty*
post 2nd Aug 2011, 04:18pm
Post #66

I work overseas a lot (Africa, US, Europe) and people do find our accent in general, a real issue - I think it can sound "aggressive" at times (depending on who is talking), we can talk very fasta nd don't always enunciate as well as we should (due to our speech patterns) Ithink that we also use words that are very "Scottish" (aye, whit, och etc) in situations when talking to people that ar enot Scottish and expect them to understand whcih other nationalities tend not to do. Then again the Scottish accent (ok maybe not the Glasgow one) is regularly in the top 5 favourites list in worldwide polls. As noted previously there is no actual Glasgow accent there are several Glasgow accents, if your talking about "wee Jimmy" ranting on with his " c u , c me" type of talk then yep it is a ridiculous accent - but in general I think its ok an that wee man ok!?

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 2nd Aug 2011, 04:28pm
Post #67

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
There were complaints in the Scottish media last week, after CNN News used subtitles when a Glasgwegian MP was speaking at Westminster, but didn't use subtitles when English MPs were speaking. I was actually watching the MP on BBC News at the time and was wishing that they had used subtitles as I couldn't understand what he was saying - and I am Glaswegian - so what chance does the rest of the country (or the world) have ?

What I do find embarrassing is when I am sitting on a bus and can understand Poles or other nationalities speaking in perfect and easy to understand English, but I don't know a word some of the young locals are saying, other than the odd expletive.

I have heard it said that "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak". Never was that more true than on a number 62 bus in Glasgow.

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 2nd Aug 2011, 04:54pm
Post #68

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
What a joke...I suppose the "cockney" "geordie"..to name but a few speak excellent english...LOL

+Quote Post
Heather
post 2nd Aug 2011, 07:58pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Scot Rose, I also hate bad language.
It's bad enough from adults, but when it's from teenagers and I hear them at the f'ing and c..t words it makes my blood curl. I don't think the realise how bad they sound. mad.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Grampar
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:15pm
Post #70

Settling In
Member No.: 8,673
I am happy for those people who have never had a negative attitude towards their Glasgow accent but I mainly deal with people in England on the 'phone and I find occasionally I get a very negative response. The latest was last week when frustrated at trying to get a simple answer to an enquiry I eventually had to hang up on an apparently young man who was so arrogant in his attitude that he obviously thought that I was of an "inferior race". It was so obvious that it was my accent he objected to by the nature of his replies. Needless to say my telephone conversation left the problem unresolved and I had to resort to an email and wait 24 hours for a reply that I could have had almost immediately by 'phone. I admit that these cases are rare but they, unfortunately, do occur. Stangely enough I also speak to people in Belfast a lot and never have any problems with the Irish. Addressing a conference of people from all over the U.K. many years ago I received one or two comments " off stage" so to say. These were constructive criticisms not so much about my accent but at my speaking to rapidly, as we Glaswegians tend to do, and I went on for another twenty five years addressing annual and special conferences at my ease. In a lighter vein my youngest "English" granddaughter thinks all Glasgow speak is "gibberish". This despite the fact that her father still has a distinctive Glasgow/Scottish accent. huh.gif

+Quote Post
**Blackie**
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:26pm
Post #71

I was once told by an English Man [ from Norwich ] that his HIDDEN FEAR was to be stuck in a lift with either a Geordie, a Scouser or a Glaswegian. My reply to him was, I am Not really concerned about the Geordie or the Scouser, But what is your Problem with Glaswegians and his reply was :- YOU ALL TALK OUT THE SIDE OF YOUR MOUTHS and YOU ALL SPIT. mad.gif dry.gif

+Quote Post
margie
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:29pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Well folks i,v read all your posts on this subject and all I can add is --- yi know when yiv met a true glaswegian cause the,ve got a brilliant sense o humour. Being wan masell I niver tire o hearin masell talkin. cheers Margie. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 2nd Aug 2011, 08:44pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
laugh.gif Margie you certainly made me laugh with the above comments and I understood every word. But then i'm Glaswegian.. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
angel
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:05pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Scot Rose, I also hate bad language.
It's bad enough from adults, but when it's from teenagers and I hear them at the f'ing and c..t words it makes my blood curl. I don't think the realise how bad they sound.

Hi Heather , the teenagers in all probability pick it up from their
own Parent's and carry on with this foul language into adulthood ,
but personally I think it's caused by the lack of vocabulary,
it's so much easier to use a cuss word than the proper word .

About the Glasgow accent , I have listened to my own voice
which I don't like and coupled with the accent just drove me crazy
and no matter how hard I tried I could not change my accent , so I
took the time to improve my diction over the years , I still have my scottish accent here in Canada but in Scotland it is considered Canadian
and it certainy does not sound like some wee , meek , mild mannered Canadian , in general they have a pretty nice accent . and they are also no that wee .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 2nd Aug 2011, 09:27pm
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Gaun yersel margie. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.