Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rosies Home, Garscube Rd
Sandra1
post 14th Oct 2011, 01:16pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 11,150
Hello,

Does anyone remember Rosies Home?.. As a kid growing up on Garscube Rd we stayed across from a old house building that was set back from the road and termed as this. Can't remember what number we stayed at...sure it was in the hundreds somewhere. I was born in 1956 and went to St Josephs primary that was run by nuns and I had to cross the canal at one point to get there. The older kids went to the building that was across the Rd from the primary (unsure of this as it's just a memory) one of the teachers went on to be football commentator. Would love some old photos to look at. Going tomtry Friends re-united next. Thanks for reading. Take care all.

Sandra_B
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 14th Oct 2011, 01:50pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Hi Sandera,thats a bit of a puzzle you have set.I cannot think of any house fitting your description form the start of Garscube Road at Cowcaddens/New City Road up to the junction at Maryhill Road.Nothing springs to mind although I have heard the term,"ROSES HOME."You crossed the canal to get to St Josephs school which makes me think about the bridge at the top Bairds Brae,I think that is the nearest point to St Josephs.Hope you find it.Ill have a look too.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 14th Oct 2011, 02:44pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Sandera, if you go to Glasgow Districts on this site and the click on Cowcaddens, you'll find some photos of "Rosie's Home" which was a model lodging house on Edington St, the next street back from Garscube Rd going toward the canal at Speirs Wharf. Mary biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Oct 2011, 11:17am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
The lodging house was in Burns Street which was across from Edington Street.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Oct 2011, 11:41am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Sandera, the first school you went to would be St. Joseph's Infant School and the Primary School for girls only was right across the road on the corner of North Woodside Road and Braid Street.

The boys Primary was on the other corner of NWS Road and Braid Street.

I lived in Sawfield Place and knew Edington Street but I never heard of Rosie's Home, until now. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 23rd Mar 2012, 02:06pm
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
My mother used to say to us kids, "if you don't behave yerself, I'll send you to Rosies Home" or if she saw someone badly dressed she would say, "poor wee sole, must be just out of Rosies Home".
We had no idea what or where "Rosies Home" was, but it was certainly a place where none of us wanted to be sent to!!!

+Quote Post
cancaz
post 25th Mar 2012, 12:27am
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,126
As A youngster my mother and grandma when I was naughty (Almost never) used to use that term with me we shall pack you off to rosies home. and I used to say the same to my kids 30 years ago so it must have come from scotland somewhere. My kids were brought up in New Zealand and I remember one time after a most stressful day I made one of the kids pack a suitcase and he was set for rosies home. He said there was no such place so I packed him in the car and drove into the city where they had a big private school the bottom of which had bars on the window and said well here we are do I need to go in Well we had a great behaved son for weeks after that. Now he is married he brings it up at family socials and we all have a good laugh

+Quote Post
**vambo**
post 27th Mar 2012, 09:56pm
Post #8

When i think of rosies home i think of a Glasgow blues band Aka: Big George and the business smile.gif

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 29th Mar 2012, 01:56pm
Post #9

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (*vambo* @ 27th Mar 2012, 10:01pm) *
When i think of rosies home i think of a Glasgow blues band Aka: Big George and the business smile.gif

WHY ??? A bit of info would help. ha-ha!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 29th Mar 2012, 03:43pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
There must be a connection somewhere.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 28th Nov 2016, 04:58am
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
I used to tell my kids if they were bad they were going to Rosies jaggy jumper home where you had to wear a jaggy jumper and get bread and margarine for dinner. It always worked a treat.

+Quote Post
*daviemartin*
post 20th Apr 2017, 10:34pm
Post #12

I do remember my great gran saying that if we didn't behave we would go to Rosies home, she was in service as a girl working in Kilmacolm in a big house. There was a childrens home there, quarriers, and an approved list d school Balrossie near there, but I think the saying goes back more than that, possibly to our families roots in Northern Ireland, Portrush if I remember right in CO Antrim. On both sides my family settled in Port Glasgow, some Scots, some Irish.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.