Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

41 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Schools You Went To..., Come on add your schools here...
kenb
post 7th Jul 2013, 02:59am
Post #586

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
yes i remember her next to carol spratt a little tearaway she was but then you know that lol

--------------------
WEY HEY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Don C.
post 8th Nov 2013, 10:48pm
Post #587

Visitor
Member No.: 25,806
Hi
Don Cairns here, I went to St Louise Primary School in Arden, from 1958 - 1965, Then on to Bellarmine Secondary, in Pollok, from 1965 - 1969, ( great memories of both of the Schools ) Sadly both Schools are now Demolished, ( and it was not me who done it ) ( as the Wee Boy said )

--------------------
Don S. Cairns

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Nov 2013, 11:26pm
Post #588

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Don, nice to have you on the boards. Like you, both my primary and my secondary schools have been demolished. Enjoy your stay on the boards – hopefully you will find it interesting.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
RonaldK
post 11th Nov 2013, 01:55am
Post #589

Settling In
Member No.: 25,812
I attended Garrioch primary school and North Kelvinside Senior Secondary (NK), during the 50's and left NK part way through 1964. I also lived in kelvinside Ave. so NK was real handy to home.
I am not too sure what happened to garrioch but I beleive NK was demolished.

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 19th Nov 2013, 10:34am
Post #590

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
My first school was Finniestoun street, 1951 in Anderson, then moved to Barlanark and was bussed to Quarrybrae, Crail street, Shettleson, then to Lightburn later to become Cranhill, 1957-61 left through boredom but had the opportunity years later to go the Queens College, which was known as the Dough School, That set me on my career path and taught me to appreciate education smile.gif

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
serabash
post 19th Nov 2013, 10:50am
Post #591

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
stillroom I went to quarrybrae but it was parkhead not shettleston. you will cause a war if folk fae parkhead here you calling it shettleston laugh.gif

+Quote Post
PatriciaP
post 19th Nov 2013, 06:09pm
Post #592

Settling In
Member No.: 5,880
QUOTE (wee mags @ 31st Jul 2005, 05:39pm) *
the first School I went to was St Mary,s Annex,it was on the Maryhill Road across from the Maryhill Barraks,then to St Marys in Duncruin St ,and last but not least to St Columbusthat was in the fifties ,the most pleasant memmories I have are when in st Marys Annex I had a teacher I cant remember his name, but it was an Italian name ,well he had been in Japan and he brought back some things from there ,including shoes that he allowed us to try on and he had a lovely Kimono ,boy was that the most beautiful thing I had ever seen ,glad you brought this up Martin you made me think of some happy times wink.gif

I went to The Annex & St. Mary's 1958-61 then moved to Canada

+Quote Post
lubbock
post 9th Feb 2014, 08:52pm
Post #593

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 14,540
Wonder how many people recall their old school and teachers good and bad .I went to St Gerard's in Govan it was a tough school with fights most days.Some of the teachers I recall .Charlie Coyle Science Mr Toppin French.Matt Lynch maths , Mr blue P.T. Most of them were good teachers and all of them demons at given the belt I still feel it thinking of 6 of the strap from Matt Lynch.

--------------------
Sunny Govan.

+Quote Post
*guvin billy*
post 10th Feb 2014, 08:50am
Post #594

QUOTE (lubbock @ 9th Feb 2014, 09:09pm) *
Wonder how many people recall their old school and teachers good and bad .I went to St Gerard's in Govan it was a tough school with fights most days.Some of the teachers I recall .Charlie Coyle Science Mr Toppin French.Matt Lynch maths , Mr blue P.T. Most of them were good teachers and all of them demons at given the belt I still feel it thinking of 6 of the strap from Matt Lynch.

Had Coyle for science and Lynch. Carrol for English also Smiddy for maths Monsewer Lavelle for French, Eddie M'Gaughern for Latin, Mr Rossi for art. The hiedmaister was McNeill of Barra, who gave Billy Connelly a glowing endorsment when he left and told me he was glad to see the back of me.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 10th Feb 2014, 10:42am
Post #595

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
RonaldK. This is the bottom of Oban Drive ,looking up to the right is where NKS stood

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 14th Feb 2014, 04:09pm
Post #596

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi Jupiter, big change since I was last in that area taking shots
Got to say the new build looks as if it will blend in the the surrounding tenements

Bye for now,norrie

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 15th Feb 2014, 11:24am
Post #597

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
On my last visit to Glasgow in 2011, I was fortunate to visit my old primary school, Springbank, in Hinshaw Street, Maryhill. We lived across the street at No.43. The building is now used as a community centre. I would have loved to see inside the building but alas it was closed.

I also walked around the site of my old secondary school, NKS, which was demolished several years ago and noticed there were new buildings going up, housing I believe.

It would have been great to see these old areas as they were in the 40s and 50s but unfortunately I only managed a trip back to Scotland in 1988 for the first time since leaving in 1963 and all the old tenements were gone by then. Oh, to be able to go back in time, only briefly of course.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
juskud
post 29th May 2015, 01:33pm
Post #598

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,829
QUOTE (elso @ 12th Jan 2010, 01:01pm) *
Went to St Cuthberts school in Possilpark from 1957-1967,and lived in Sunnylaw St till i got married in 1972,still love going there now and again,but BIG changes there! smile.gif w

School is celebrating it's 75th Anniversary this June. Would you happen to know anything about the history of the school. They are really struggling to find any information.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 29th May 2015, 09:36pm
Post #599

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
They (St Cuthbert's Staff) might be further ahead if they would only answer their eMails. I tried some time ago without success and gave up trying to contact them directly. Going by a circuitous route via Glasgow Corporation Education Department (gawd knows what they call themselves now) and asking them to call the current St Cuthie's Head Person availed me nothing either.
Good luck with their pursuit. You might direct them to friends reunited for class pictures et cetera. rolleyes.gif

This (below) from elswhere on this site;

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
campsie
post 16th Oct 2015, 12:38pm
Post #600

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
QUOTE (CAMPSIE @ 29th Sep 2010, 05:20pm) *
Hi! ANNIE, JUST SEEN THIS AND I KNOW IT IS MORE THAN 5YRS LATER, BUT I AM NEW TO GG, I ALSO WENT TO LORNE STREET SCHOOL, IT WOULD STARTED AUGUST 1953 AND MY TEACHERS NAME WAS MISS RALSTON SHE HAD REDDISH FAIR HAIR. I ALSO LOVED SCHOOL THEN, I REMEMBER THE QUEEN CAME TO VISIT THE DOCKS AND WE MADE BUNTING AND FLAGS TO WAVE AT HER. LIVED AT 9 McCLEAN STREET THEN. HOPE YOU PICK THIS UP.

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.