Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

61 Pages V  « < 57 58 59 60 61 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any One From Maryhill?
weeglesgakeelie
post 10th Feb 2012, 10:41pm
Post #871

Settling In
Member No.: 12,390
QUOTE (marina @ 21st May 2006, 09:31am) *
my mum lived in whitelaw street maryhill from 1950 with her brother and sister they are margaret, john and marina agnew then when her mum died they moved into there aunt mamie hannahs a few closes down in 1957 where she had me in 1970

Hi Marina, My name is McQueen and according to my brother who is a bit older and has a better memory of everyone from Whitelaw st, says we lived directly opposite your family, we lived at No 59 ground floor, my wee maw (mum) was Annie, my dad was John or Pat, brother is Patrick John but
was known as junior, My Mum Died in Oatbank Hospital having my sister, we left Whitlaw st shortly afterwards about 1957/58, also up our close were the Hope Family, I have few but great memories of Whitelaw street, the Plots accross the street between us and the tramcar depot, there was a stable at the top of the hill, left hand side as you walked up the hill, and that hill was the best winter sledging hill ever, all the way down towards the gasworks around a bend to the right at the bottom into a lane I think?? dry.gif Tho it seems a lifetime away I still consider myself a Maryhill man and if anyone ask I say I came from the " Butny " oh, and my name is Brendon McQueen

Bye for now
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 10th Feb 2012, 11:34pm
Post #872

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Welcome Brendon

As you have probably noticed, there are quite a few ex Maryhillites aboot the place smile.gif
Enjoy your time with us - and if you care to share any memories/pics we would all be very grateful.

My gran moved down from Whitelaw St to Shawpark St, about the time I came into the world - about 53/54. Her name was Dewar (married to a Frank), Jane/Jenny Dewar. Your mum (amongst others) could well have known her.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 11th Feb 2012, 03:00am
Post #873

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi all just reading a book called the night song of the last tram by robert douglas a tru story of his life growing up in maryhill he lived in doncaster st it is a great book well woth getting if you havnt read it cheers

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 11th Feb 2012, 08:48pm
Post #874

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
hi all just reading a book called the night song of the last tram by robert douglas a tru story of his life growing up in maryhill he lived in doncaster st it is a great book well woth getting if you havnt read it cheers

Hi Possilboy

Glad to hear you enjoyed Robert's first book. There are comments on this book under several topics on the site - under "Books" there are some I think.

My two sisters and I grew up in the same block as Robert and his mother, where it continued round into Hinhaw Street. We went to the same schools, shopped in the same shops, and knew many of the neighbours mentioned in his book. For example, we had fish and chips from Bundoni's every Friday night.

Robert's age is between my older sister and myself so we didn't know him personally at school. This is a truly magical book for us and I've read it lots times now and recommended it to heaps of people, including Kiwis!

Great memories of a poor but happy bygone era. Cheers.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 11th Feb 2012, 10:22pm
Post #875

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I have read it and also the second one I wrote to him and he answered .Iam now trying to get the last two of his books ,,

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 11th Feb 2012, 10:28pm
Post #876

Mega City Key Holder
hi scots kiwi lass yes a great book it brings bach a lot of memories i had familly around that area my mothers two sisters the mclaughlans stayed in springbank st and the macbarrons in firhill st i used to watch the jags on a saturday cheers

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 12th Feb 2012, 12:18am
Post #877

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I haven't read any of Roberts Douglas's books yet but I was given "Whose Turn for the Stairs" as a Christmas gift and will let you know what I think as soon as I've read it. Looking foraward to a good read. Mary

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 12th Feb 2012, 12:26am
Post #878

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
Whose Turn for the Stairs was very Good am sure you will enjoy it Mary biggrin.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
irrie
post 12th Feb 2012, 07:14am
Post #879

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Have read a couple of Roberts books and really enjoyed them. These posts have have reminded me to get his other ones. Cheers

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 12th Feb 2012, 07:44am
Post #880

City Key Holder
Hi Possilboy

Nice to see the pic of Firhill. I went there many a time but it was usually to support the Rangers, I'm afraid to say, though when I was younger I couldn't understand my Dad going all the way to Ibrox instead of supporting our "local" team.

I walked past Firhill last July on a visit to Maryhill. It looks quite different from what I remember but then the whole area is different. I remember going up when the Jags were playing at home and we got in for the last 20 minutes free of charge!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 12th Feb 2012, 04:53pm
Post #881

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Picture of Firhill Road.Is that the Kiwi Lass walking there?Snow in July?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 12th Feb 2012, 08:40pm
Post #882

City Key Holder
Actually, Jupiter, the weather was very good when I was in Glasgow, in fact for most of the 3 weeks I was in Scotland. I even got sunburned in Greenock at the Tall Ships Festival for the day!

I hate hot weather so the Scottish summer was just fine for me. It was quite a shock therefore when I got home to Christchurch in mid-August to find snow everywhere. My lovely son and daughter-in-law had cleared the snow off the drive and deck but it was piled up on the lawn for about a week afterwards. I hate the stuff. I see on the news that Britain has been having some very low temperatures. Hope everyone is bearing up - Spring is not too far away!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 12th Feb 2012, 09:41pm
Post #883

Mega City Key Holder
hi irrie looking throegh the posts you asked me did john mclaughlan have red hair he had very light reddish hair his brothers alex and billy had red hair the other brother edward had black the father was jake mother mary my mothers sister so idont think it is the same familly as yours cheers john w ps john died in a car smash late seventies in oz

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 13th Feb 2012, 01:16am
Post #884

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
ScotsKiwiLass,could you cast your eye over my pic in"Where am I" and give us your ideas.
Joop rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
maryhillresident
post 2nd Jul 2012, 02:22pm
Post #885

Settling In
Member No.: 12,590
I'm quite new to this board and searching through Schools and Maryhill, I saw the name Avril (born 1948) I thought you were perhaps my friend from NK, but you're not. She was bussed in from Drumchapel and I attended from 1960-64 and travelled from Milton. The reason being - I was brought up in Maryhill and was allowed to choose which secondary to go to, because brother and sisters went there. Another Miltonian travelled with me and she had no previous connection to the NK area. I do remember quite a contingent from Albert, Colston and Woodside who wanted to stay on past 4th year. Maryhillresident

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  « < 57 58 59 60 61 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.