Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Wee Endrick Picture Hoose, Phoenix Park Terrace
enchineer
post 11th Sep 2010, 02:48pm
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 6,935
Hi Heather I just found the site I stayed in Edington st from 1939 TO 1953 the Endrick used to let you in with 6 jam jars =to 3d also the local paper shops had some free passes to give out to children who maybe had a paper run and if you were lucky to get one you could take your wee girl friend to the picts for nout, this was a big deal for a 7 year old and raised your status with your pals.Do you remember the chippy about opposit North woodside rd the lady had very little english and if you were early for a bag of chips she would say (chipa no ready came back a yesterday) happy days
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 12th Sep 2010, 07:48am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Well done on the passes. I'm sure the newsagent must have displayed posters of what was up and coming. But what did the cinema do with the jam jars? I had a hard enough time and still do persuading shops to take back ginger bottles and give me cash rather than goods. But jam jars. Where's the value in them? They weren't recycled.

+Quote Post
enchineer
post 12th Sep 2010, 09:53am
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 6,935
Hi Dexter
In those days 1945/6 jam jars cleaned of coarse when taken back to the shops were worth 1/2d so 6 jars got you into the stalls for the Saturday matinee 3d I can remember just inside the doors were cardboard boxes with we divisions to fit the jars it was well organised.
Do'es anyone remember the bicycle shop in north woodside rd I think it was Mcdonalds he hired bikes by the hour and did repairs for customers, in his day he was a road racer and a lot of serious bikers frequented the shop, as I got a little older when in the shop for something for my bike sometimes the big lads would be chewing the fat and the man himself would be building up wheels I was allways amazed that he could do this and natter at the same time ha well happy days.

+Quote Post
**edwardo**
post 22nd Sep 2010, 08:20pm
Post #34

the real name of society raw was carnbroe street

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.