Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Tent Hall
alexandra2012
post 15th Jan 2012, 11:33am
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,323
QUOTE (ikapicka @ 24th Sep 2011, 01:59pm) *
Do you rememer either the Harrison Family (spec George, David, Jimmy, Elsie, Ruth Annie) or the Begg family (Anna, Bertha, Margaret, Gina, John, Robert)? These are my mom and dad's family. Many of them attended the Tent Hall and I rememer going with my granny to help with the breakfasts and later on to services with my uncle, John Begg.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alexandra2012
post 15th Jan 2012, 11:45am
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,323
Hi,

Re:Harrison

My mother's brother Walter was married to Ruth Harrison. They had 4 children : Walter, George. Ruth and Philip. Sadly both Walter and Ruth have passed on. I remember George sen. from Tent Hall. In fact I had some photos of Tent Hall outing circa 1938 and George is in it along with Bert Clark and my father. I gave it to a friend who is was going to pass it on to Peter Donald, but I still have copy in my computer. I have been in contact with the American of shoot of the family (don't know if it is David side or not) but the lady I am in touch with is Ruthie Olmsted. My cousin George was up during the sumer and took photos of the outside of the house in Calder Street.

Hope this update was of use to you and if you want photos emailed to you just let me know.

My email address is at2870@googlemail.com and my name is Sandra.

+Quote Post
*Robert Mulheron*
post 22nd Jan 2012, 10:11pm
Post #33

QUOTE (iainson @ 8th Jan 2012, 10:42pm) *
My Dad was Ron Chalmers, he passed away in 2004 in Hairmyres hospital. We (Mum, Ron, Sharon and myself) were around his bedside as he went Home. Mum passed away in 2009, leaving us with a massive hole in our family and our hearts. We couldnt have asked for better parents and, even though they are alive in Glory, we miss them both each and every day.

+Quote Post
**Graeme Hill**
post 15th Feb 2012, 04:59am
Post #34

QUOTE (iainson @ 8th Jan 2012, 10:31pm) *
My Dad was Ron Chalmers, he passed away in 2004 in Hairmyres hospital. We (Mum, Ron, Sharon and myself) were around his bedside as he went Home. Mum passed away in 2009, leaving us with a massive hole in our family and our hearts. We couldnt have asked for better parents and, even though they are alive in Glory, we miss them both each and every day.

We used to live next to your mum and dad in Kings Park [Mount Annan Drive] until they moved.

+Quote Post
**jane**
post 23rd Jun 2012, 06:27pm
Post #35

Hi ,My dads family were regulary attenders at the Tent hall ,my grandad was a lay preacher George Norris,and his wife and sons also attended ,does anyone remember them ,my grandad died when i was very young and it would be great to hear from someone who had some memories of him ,Thanks in advance Jane

+Quote Post
*John malseed*
post 24th Jun 2012, 12:59pm
Post #36

I attended the tent hall away back in 1957 as a 20 year old. John Moore now in Canada was in charge

+Quote Post
*William L*
post 28th Jan 2013, 06:38am
Post #37

I think Jimmy Haxton was the superintendent at this time -I remember Pastor Bell,Jim Hogg, Stanley Collins and a young man whose name escapes me who regularly appeared with trousers in the colours of the British Flag !!

Bill Lambright here. I was a U.S. Navy sailor home ported abord a submarine in Holy Loch Scotland 1960-'61. I attend The Tent Hall prayer meetings that met in a small chapel. Some of the most powerful prayer meetings I have ever been part of! Pastor Jim Hogg was my contact pastor at Tent Hall and the BTI. I was wondering if anyone knows if he is still alive (I am 75 now so Pastor Hogg would be in his 8o's ). I also participated in street meetings carrying the 'box-like' Scripture signs on tall poles. Does anyone remember these meetings? We would lead crowds of people who gathered to meetings at Tent Hall following the street meetings. Pastor Hogg also introduced me to a Dr. Jack Kelly who was a caradic surgeon at The Victoria Infirmary- Glasgow. Dr. Kelly took me into his home and treated me as a son for several weekends before the U.S. submarine I was serving on left the Holy Loch for a patrol. I remeber Dr. Kelly had a son - Duncan Kelly who I later learned had been healed of a heart condition. My parents viisted Dr. Kelly in 1971and learned of Duncan's healing. Other Christians I met through Pastor Hogg was Dr. George B. Duncan - pastor in Troon and his daughter Gillian Duncan who was at that time a nurse at Victoria Infirmary. Gillian would have been about my age (20-22) 1n 1961 I was a bit of a 'rairity' among the saints in Glasgow in my naval uniform! smile.gif Does anyone on the forum remember the people and/or events to which I refer. PS My wife and I served with Wycliee Bible Translators for 37 years. The many believers who I met at Tent Hall impacted my life forever. Hallelujah! My e-mal is sheepshine@gmx.com I live in Washington state USA. I have been blessed by reading ALL the postings on this forum...thank you!

+Quote Post
*phyllis.b*
post 6th Feb 2013, 12:31am
Post #38

I learned of the Tent Hall from friends Bill and Helen Steel who attended Pastor Arthur Campbells church "Hermon Baptist"where I got saved in 1965. I also enjoyed going to the meetings at the Tent Hall and remember Ian Paisley preaching there. We knew Dr Kelly and attended meetings at his house at Queens Park on a Sunday night after church. Yes we remember a Zulu Pastor called Pastor Duma praying for Dr Kelly's son to be healed and he was! This Pastor Duma had also raised three people from the dead!

+Quote Post
*Guvinboay*
post 17th Feb 2013, 08:40am
Post #39

QUOTE (phyllis.b @ 6th Feb 2013, 12:48am) *
I learned of the Tent Hall from friends Bill and Helen Steel who attended Pastor Arthur Campbells church "Hermon Baptist"where I got saved in 1965. I also enjoyed going to the meetings at the Tent Hall and remember Ian Paisley preaching there. We knew Dr Kelly and attended meetings at his house at Queens Park on a Sunday night after church. Yes we remember a Zulu Pastor called Pastor Duma praying for Dr Kelly's son to be healed and he was! This Pastor Duma had also raised three people from the dead!

If yon Pastir Duma is still aroon A' wid fare get in touch wi him as A' hae a sair need a raisin up some o" ma' fitba team frae the deed!!

+Quote Post
*Hoggster*
post 3rd Apr 2013, 11:44am
Post #40

I remember visiting the Tent when my Grandfather Alec Bain was Superintendent. Must have been the late 60's early 70's

+Quote Post
vicm
post 7th Sep 2013, 11:09am
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,768
Hi I was looking for people who went to the tent hall my mum is Laura Clark. My grandfather was John Clark. I believe he had involvement in the choir? Wondered if anyone remembered them?

Hi I was looking for people who went to the tent hall my mum is Laura Clark. My grandfather was John Clark. I believe he had involvement in the choir? Wondered if anyone remembered them?

+Quote Post
*Grace McGuire*
post 20th Feb 2014, 08:47pm
Post #42

I went to tent hall on Saturday nights with friends, Sheila Menzies, Jean McNeil, Sheila married jack neilands? He was Irish & was bus driver here in glasgow they went to live in donegal. I would love to hear from anyone who knows me my maiden name was Laing then. They were great days, I go to knightswood baptist. My email address is. Gracemcguire@live.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Craufurd Lamb*
post 22nd Nov 2014, 01:12pm
Post #43

QUOTE (vicm @ 7th Sep 2013, 11:26am) *

I went to the Tent Hall as a teenager most Sunday evenings before it was suggested I support my local Baptist Church. My father was a good friend of John Clark, whom if I remember correctly, was a sales executive for Phillips electrical and audio.

I do remember Laura Clark and I'm sure if I search the attic I'll find a 45 RPM of Laura singing.

Regards............Craufurd Lamb.

+Quote Post
*TentHallKid*
post 4th Mar 2015, 02:28pm
Post #44

The "tent" was where I grew up. Was there on Saturday night ...and three times On a Sunday for years. I knew most of the people who have been named.

Jim Hogg was a pastor in Sydney Australia for decades before retiring about ten years ago. Not sure if he is still alive.

Anyone remember "wee Mary?" She would shout after every hymn. Then there was bobby who gave out the hymn books in the balcony - he was grumpy and as kids we used to deliberately run so he would shout at us.

+Quote Post
*r.macritchie*
post 16th Apr 2015, 02:51pm
Post #45

This is all so interesting. I am wondering if anybody remembers a John Metcalfe preaching in the Tent Hall. It would have been in the sixties and possibly the seventies. He was from England, but he was invited up to Glasgow to preach fairly often.

He also preached at Pastor Campbell's Hermon Baptist church.

I would love to hear if you have any memories of it, good or bad.

My email address is r.macritchie77@btinternet.com

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.