Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paddy Black's Memorial Mission
Rating 5 V
Catarina
post 2nd May 2007, 11:39pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Paddy Black's Memorial Mission. I do believe it was on Tradeston St.,
Was a member of the girls Guildry there. Each Wednesday they showed silent movies.
We went on Sunday bus trips to various parts of Scotland, visiting Castles etc., Great wee
place..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Pat Collins*
post 28th Jul 2007, 11:35am
Post #2

Catarina! I to went to the Paddy Black Memorial Mission in Trasdeston Street. In fact, Paddy was my grandfather and my mother was Guardian of the Guildry. My uncle was Jimmy Black who took over from Paddy. I well remember Band of Hope on a Wednesday Night. My maiden name was Pat Goodfellow. I would be glad to hear from anyone who remembers me!

Pat B

+Quote Post
Heather
post 31st Jul 2007, 10:12pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember when we were young we used to go to the Band of Hope in Braid Street and Grove Street. Both in the Cowcaddens District.

We used to see silent films and sometimes in the Grove St. one we got tea and a bun.

We always felt we had to sneak in, in among our friends because some of us were Catholics. One nasty girl reported us and the man in charge told us it did not matter what religion we were, we were very welcome.
One of the popular films we saw was about a man who was always drunk and mistreated his family then he found God and became a good person. We always cheered at the end. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Carolyn
post 24th Jun 2008, 10:19am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,809
Patrick Black was my Grandfather's uncle. My Grandfather came to New Zealand in 1910 and all we had were a few photographs and the knowedge that the Mission had continued after Paddy's death in 1926. The family have always been interested in any information about the mission and contacting anybody who had information about it. And I would be especially pleased to contact any family members as I believe that he had two daughters. Carolyn

+Quote Post
Carolyn
post 25th Jun 2008, 09:55pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,809
QUOTE (Pat Collins @ 28th Jul 2007, 11:52 AM) *
Catarina! I to went to the Paddy Black Memorial Mission in Trasdeston Street. In fact, Paddy was my grandfather and my mother was Guardian of the Guildry. My uncle was Jimmy Black who took over from Paddy. I well remember Band of Hope on a Wednesday Night. My maiden name was Pat Goodfellow. I would be glad to hear from anyone who remembers me!

Pat B

+Quote Post
Magi
post 28th Jul 2009, 03:15pm
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 236
QUOTE (Pat Collins @ 28th Jul 2007, 11:52am) *

Pat B

I also went to Paddy Blacks.......... .Have a lot of good memories of the Guildry Mrs Goodfellow , Picnic trips with the egg and spoon races, three legged race and many more...best part was every one always got a prize. Also remeber the Sunday School where you had to lear a verse and stand up and recite it,,,,then there was the choir. Friday night movies where great................this was in the 1945---1950"s Would you be the daughter?

+Quote Post
*Olive Gillies*
post 24th Dec 2014, 09:18pm
Post #7

QUOTE (Pat Collins @ 28th Jul 2007, 11:52am) *

Pat B

Hello Pat,

I am daughter of Duncan Gillies and Olive Warnock and granddaughter of Catherine and Duncan Gillies who lived next door to you at 142 Pollok Street. I remember you from when I visited my Gran. Sorry to have been so long in getting in touch but only found this site today.

Regards Olive Allardyce nee Gillies.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.