Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Joseph's Chapel. North Woodside Road
Heather
post 20th Mar 2007, 12:52pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I was Baptised, made 1st Communion and Confirmed in St. Joseph's.
There were four Youth Club's in the Parish. A Junior & Senior girls club, a Junior & Senior boys club, plus the Scouts and Cubs
The girls Junior club that I was in, did a Pantomime at Christmas time and an Irish concert every year for St. Patrick's Day.
The Irish concert always started with all the cast on the stage singing, ' It's a Great Day for the Irish'. There was of course a lot of Irish songs and Irish Dancing.
On one occasion a group of us were learning, ' The Irish Washer Woman ', and during this dance there is a part when you flipped the edge of your skirt. At rehearsal one night we got carried away with ourselves not noticing that Father Lynnes was standing at the back of the hall, we flipped our skirts so high you could see our knickers, he banned us from doing that dance at the concert even though we assured him we would do it properly on the night. We had to do an Irish Reel instead.

On one Sunday in the month it was the Scouts and Cubs Communion Sunday. They would all leave the Chapel Hall and march along North Woodside Road, up St. George's Road turn at the Round Toll and come down Garscube Road, then back along North Woodside Road. The Scout Band playing the Pipes and Drums all the way. When they passed where we lived we knew it was time to go to Mass.

On one occasion the Senior Girls Club were doing a play. I can't remember if it was, The Song of Bernadette or Our Lady of Fatima. However, they asked for four girls from the Junior's to be angels. So there I was kneeling on the stage in my white dress, wings and a halo. Now I can say in all honesty that at one time in my life I was an Angel, even if my halo slipped a long time ago. laugh.gif

On one occasion, the Girls and Boy's club's put on a concert together, and I don't think anyone who saw that concert will every forget it. When the curtains opened there were six boy's standing on the stage supposedly dressed up as fairies. They were really funny. They had on crepe paper skirts, big heavy socks and paper wings with ribbons tied round their heads with bows at the top. By the time they started to dance, everyone in the hall were roaring and laughing their heads off. The boys were so clumsy they were slipping all over the place, and when one boy fell against my brother, he caught hold of him to steady him and ripped his paper skirt. The boy kept dancing holding his skirt together. When they finished dancing, the whole audience stood up an applauded them. laugh.gif
It's a pity there was no video Cameras in those days, because those boys doing a fairy dance was one of the funniest things I've seen in my life.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jock
post 22nd Mar 2007, 12:11am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Heather I remember some shows similar to those you mentioned.St Joseph's was a very lively parish! I was in their Boy Scouts and participated in some of the "gang shows" they put on.
Also remember Lawlor's sweet shop which was located right next to St Jo's. :D

+Quote Post
Heather
post 16th May 2007, 03:44pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Jock, the name Lawlors rings a bell. Was it on the same side of the road as the Chapel???

Were you in the Pipe Band that marched one Sunday in the month??? It was a great band.

The Boy's Youth Clubs were also well attended, especially the football club.

There were the dance's on a Sunday night in the Chapel Hall, but I was too young to go, although my elder sister and her friends went almost every Sunday.

That hall was well used with the Youth Clubs, dances, 1st Communion breakfasts, concerts and weddings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jock
post 16th May 2007, 08:53pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
The sweet shop was on the same side as the chapel. I was not in the pipe band but did march with them occasionally and was taking bagpipe lessons through the scout troop at the time.

Those were the only times I ever wore a kilt!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 16th May 2007, 10:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Jock, did you know St. Joseph's Chapel is no longer there? It was demolished quite a few years ago.
If you ever need any information regarding St. Joseph's, it is held at St. Columba's in Hopehill Road.

Last year I emailed the Priest in St. Columba's and asked if I could get a copy of my Baptismal Certificate. He replied a few days later saying it was ready for me to collect. I was curious to know the name of my Godmother. My mum could not remember who she was. Mum is 95 yrs old.laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jock
post 17th May 2007, 05:28am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Heather, did not know that. One of my older brothers was married there to a margaret phelan, who was a niece to Mrs. Lawlor who owned the sweet shop. Good to know that St. Columba's is still there and has the old records.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Mar 2010, 11:12am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
St. Joseph's Chapel, North Woodside Road.

The picture shows the Chapel House, The Chapel and Manressa Place with St. Joseph's Infant School.

We went to the Infant School from age 5 to 7. Then over to the Primary School.
Although the Infant School had mixed classes my class was all girls. I was never in a mixed class in my life. My g'daughters were surprised when I told them that I was educated in an all female system right through my schoool days.

The Primary Schools were separate. The girls Primary was right across the Road from the Infant School in North woodside Road and the corner of Braid Street. The boys Primary School was also in NWSR and the other corner of Braid Street.
Both Primary Schools had the playground on the roof of the school facing across from Braid Street from each other.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Mary Bell*
post 23rd Sep 2012, 01:21am
Post #8

I am interested in finding anyone who attended St Joseph's school with me. My maiden name was Mary Carrigan, have older sister (Margaret, brother Robert and two younger twin sisters Anne & Isabel . I have lived in Australia since 1970.

Our priest was Father Lyne? I think Sister Mary Baptist was the principal then, and my teacher was Mrs Moyse (not sure if this is the correct spelling)

Mary Bell

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Nov 2012, 11:45pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Mary I remember Sister Mary Baptist when she was a Teacher. I did not have her, but my older sister did and she was very strict.
When any of the girls mis-behaved she used to turn the dust box over and make them sit on it with a dummy in their mouth. She tried to do that to my sister and she ran out the classroom and went home. laugh.gif
My mum took her to school the next day and had a few words with Sister Mary.

I had Sister Mary Bernadette and she was great, in fact I wanted Bernadette as my Confirmation name, but Mrs Donachie who was my teacher, gave us our names and I got Mary as did half the class.
When the Bishop at my Confirmation said Mary, I said Bernadette, so since then when anyone asks my Confirmation name I tell them Mary Bernadette. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
*laura mc cluskey*
post 2nd Mar 2014, 11:54am
Post #10

QUOTE (Mary Bell @ 23rd Sep 2012, 01:38am) *
I am interested in finding anyone who attended St Joseph's school with me. My maiden name was Mary Carrigan, have older sister (Margaret, brother Robert and two younger twin sisters Anne & Isabel . I have lived in Australia since 1970.

Our priest was Father Lyne? I think Sister Mary Baptist was the principal then, and my teacher was Mrs Moyse (not sure if this is the correct spelling)

Mary Bell

Hi there,your name is very familiar,I went to St Joseph`s primary,and junior schools.I lived in Braid Street and got married in the chapel in 1959.I remember a teacher in the junior school called Miss Halfpenny and she was very nice.I am 76 now and one of my sons also lives in Australia,a place called Newcastle near the Sydney end.Where do you live,do you get hoesick?

+Quote Post
JimC
post 28th May 2014, 03:18pm
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Father Lyne brings back many memeories of St Joseph`s Chapel. He always walked very quickly and was a bit of a terror in his time. He wasn`t afraid to tell you what was on his mind or ask why you were not in chapel the Sunday before, how he remembered who was there and who wasn`t I will never know. I remember my mother used to stand at the close entrance talking to her friends , which was quite the normal thing to do in those days as the T.V. had only two channels, and any time she would see Father Lyne coming down the street on one of his usual Parish Visits, she would run up the stairs , make sure the house was spotless, put the tea on and put out the chocolate biscuits, anything to keep him happy and subdued, mind you regular home visits by a priest nowadays are pretty few and far between so I have to give him credit for his concern for his parishiners. I also remember Father Martin, Father Burns and Father Osbourne, all from St. Josephs.
I first attended St. Joseph`s Primary School on Manresa Place when I was five and remember a Miss Fitzsimmons and a Miss Hughes. when we got a little older we moved over to the Boys Big School as we called it with the playground on the roof which was just accross the road and adjacent to the Girls Big School whose playground was also on the roof and were separated by Braid Street. I was a member of the 125th Boy Cubs and Scouts Group which met on the top floor of a building at the rear of the Chapel and I believe it was also attached to the Chapel building and a small community centre. AHH memories of times gone by.
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
elizabeth costel...
post 27th Jun 2014, 04:42am
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,595
QUOTE (laura mc cluskey @ 2nd Mar 2014, 01:11pm) *
Hi there,your name is very familiar,I went to St Joseph`s primary,and junior schools.I lived in Braid Street and got married in the chapel in 1959.I remember a teacher in the junior school called Miss Halfpenny and she was very nice.I am 76 now and one of my sons also lives in Australia,a place called Newcastle near the Sydney end.Where do you live,do you get hoesick?

I remember Miss McNee and Mrs. Sweeney. They were excellent teachers.
We moved to Possilpark, and I went to Saint Theresa's school, but I missed Saint Joseph's so much that my mother agreed I could go back. I had to take the tram from Keppochhill Road every day, but it was worth it.

+Quote Post
elizabeth costel...
post 27th Jun 2014, 04:49am
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,595
QUOTE (JimC @ 28th May 2014, 04:35pm) *
Father Lyne brings back many memeories of St Joseph`s Chapel. He always walked very quickly and was a bit of a terror in his time. He wasn`t afraid to tell you what was on his mind or ask why you were not in chapel the Sunday before, how he remembered who was there and who wasn`t I will never know. I remember my mother used to stand at the close entrance talking to her friends , which was quite the normal thing to do in those days as the T.V. had only two channels, and any time she would see Father Lyne coming down the street on one of his usual Parish Visits, she would run up the stairs , make sure the house was spotless, put the tea on and put out the chocolate biscuits, anything to keep him happy and subdued, mind you regular home visits by a priest nowadays are pretty few and far between so I have to give him credit for his concern for his parishiners. I also remember Father Martin, Father Burns and Father Osbourne, all from St. Josephs.
I first attended St. Joseph`s Primary School on Manresa Place when I was five and remember a Miss Fitzsimmons and a Miss Hughes. when we got a little older we moved over to the Boys Big School as we called it with the playground on the roof which was just accross the road and adjacent to the Girls Big School whose playground was also on the roof and were separated by Braid Street. I was a member of the 125th Boy Cubs and Scouts Group which met on the top floor of a building at the rear of the Chapel and I believe it was also attached to the Chapel building and a small community centre. AHH memories of times gone by.
All The Very Best.
JimC

Small world, Jim. I spent seven years in Saint Joseph's (1950- 57) and went on to Saint Augustine's. Now living in Mississauga.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 27th Jun 2014, 05:00pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Elizabeth, when you were young did you used to live in Sawfield Place?

I lived in Sawfield Place and I remember we had neighbours with the name Costello.
My own name was Curran and we lived on the first landing and I also went to St. Joseph's Primary School.

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 27th Jun 2014, 08:50pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I can't add anything to this wee thread, but enjoyed reading through it.

Heather, I just wanted to add that we got to pick our own Confirmation names, and mine is Bernadette because St. Bernadette fascinated me, and I loved the stories about Lourdes and a wee movie I think was called the Song of Bernadette and it stuck with me, I just thought it was lovely.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.