Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interview To Be Married, Why we married
big tommy
post 24th Aug 2005, 09:27pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
wub.gif In April 1954, Jean and decided it was time to go see the priest in order to get married. We had a little room and kitchen all decorated and furnished, sitting like a little palace just waiting for us to move in.

Now the priest in St Matthew's, namely Father Quinn ,was one of the old type Irish priests. In other words HE WAS A HOLY TERROR!!

When we asked him to marry us he refused us, telling us we must go for an interview with him so he could discuss it with us. We had never heard of this before, but as the Parish was a new one we knew we had to go along with it.

It turned out to be more than just an interview: IT WAS MORE LIKE AN INQUISITION!!

He roared at Jean shouting in her face: "And just why do you want to get married young girl?"

Jean then made the mistake of saying "I don't know Father."

WELL! That set him off! "You must know girl, it is not just to satisfy carnal desires."

Jean could have crawled into the nearest hole and let the ground swallow her up.

Again he roared at her "It is to have as many children as possible and bring them up as good Catholics."

Jean's face was bright red by this time, but he never let up on her. She was ready to run away. Then, when he had her in tears, he turned to me and roared: "Do you know why you are getting married, young man?"

But by this time I had learned my lesson. "Of course Father. It is to have as many children as possible and bring them up as good Catholics."

Jean was all for going somewhere else to get married. But the priest had our banns in order to read them out.So we couldn't very well ask for them back. In the end he agreed to marry us on the 22 May 1954.

We dreaded our wedding day in case Father Quinn might make a Gospel out of our vows. BUT!! By a strange twist of fate, Father Quinn dropped dead just three days before our wedding.

On the day, it was a stand-in priest name Father Euan Docherty (who was a very young man indeed) who took our wedding ceremony.

Before it began, he came up to me very nervously and said: "I hope you don't mind my nerves. You see Thomas, this is my first wedding."

I replied: "Don't worry Father, it is mine as well." He must have made a good job of it, for we were married for forty-nine years, seven months and eight days until Jean's sudden death on 30 December 2003.

So it really was "until death do us part."

As for lots of children? We had a boy and a girl born seven and a half years apart.

Big Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 25th Aug 2005, 02:33am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
What a lovely and Interesting Story Big Tommy. You sure do still miss her eh, it shows. Great reading, thanks for that. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
betty2
post 25th Aug 2005, 02:15pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
I'm sure there are lots of happy memories for you to cherish in those years. Definately a marriage made in heaven.

still here in glesca

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 25th Aug 2005, 09:30pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
QUOTE (betty2 @ 25th Aug 2005, 03:32 PM)
I'm sure there are lots of happy memories  for you to cherish in those years.  Definately a marriage made in heaven. 

still here in glesca

OH Betty !! I still miss her so much .People say to me that it will heal in time ,but i'm not sure I want it to heal .In 19 months there has nor been a day when I have not thought about her.

I haunt the cemetery 2 or 3 times a week just to be beside her remains .

I believe her soul is waiting for me in heaven .
I loved her so much . For no apparent reason I will become overcome with emotion and break into tears . Sometimes I actually hear her calling me .I feel her pressing in behind me in bed .? Am I being crazy ?

Love ''Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
RonD
post 15th Jan 2006, 01:42pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Ach Tommy you ARE crazy!!! Crazy in love and that is wonderful.

Right now think of this as just a wee seperate holiday, which you should try and enjoy ( as she would want you to) enjoy the things you like to do, the kids and the grandkids, your neighbours and friends like you obviously have here on GG. Then all too soon ( as for all of us) you'll finish the holiday and you'll walk in the front door and she'll be waiting for you.!

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 15th Jan 2006, 03:06pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Oh I've jist read this, what a lovely analogy for Tommy rdem, good for you.
I laughed out loud Tommy at your twist of fate, especially after going through the interview.

Here's a wee laugh for ye's.

We got married at home, but had still to do the class lessons required which were every Monday night in the Church basement across the road from where I was living then, here in Toronto.

The first lesson it turned out Geoff had to work that night, so I'd to go myself.
Felt like a right twit, ah mean gaun tae guidance lessons fur marraige yersel y'no!
Anyway, down to the basement I went, met a woman at the door who was really nice and asked me if it was my first time here...I said yes...so she said lovely to see ye follow me then and I'll show you around.

So there we are, she's pointing out the coffee to me, telling me everything is really relaxed and not to be nervous, pointing out a wee room where she said would be private and this is where we would take the first of the steps.
I said Oh...I thought it was more a class envioronment, and she said Oh no, nothing is disclosed here unless you want it to be.

Now a wee red flag was beginning to wave fae somewherr but ah wisnae sure why {we're talkin me the slow wan remember}

So I casually looked at my watch, realised the class was supposed to be from half seven on and it was now twenty to eight, so I said Is the class running late tonight then?

It was at this point I realised she'd been huvin the wee flag flyin fae somewherr hersel cos she turned to me and said Catherine whit exactly is it you're here for?
I said Sure the Marraige classes!
She said This is Alcoholics Annonymous!

Well the two of us couldnae move fur laughin, ah said well at least ah no wherr ye's meet noo cos after this marraige therrs a good chance ah might jist be back!

Of course that wis me late for the class noo which wis in another part of the basement, ahd tae troop in MASEL wae TWELVE other couples sittin in a SILENT class formation, teachers at the front.
They're aw starin at me thinkin Aw here's a right wan, she's jist LOOKIN fur a man an no really goat wan..ahm that nervous an self concious ma accent is like somethin oot the Hebrides, even ah cannae understaun me, ahm STILL killin masel laughin aboot the mix up an aw splutterry gettin the story oot why ah wis late, plus tryin tae explain why Geoffs no with me.
Talk aboot nightmerr laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
RonD
post 15th Jan 2006, 03:39pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Efter a' this time, ma wife still keeps oan aboot me owingher the fifteen dollars for the marriage licence, Canadians! and the say the Scots are frugal !! <smile>

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Mar 2009, 04:00pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Big Tommy,
been touring this labyrinth and found your story and the replies it brought.
I remember you said somewhere you were really the wee tommy.
No your not.
You're as big as a blue whale man, or at least your heart is, your dear wife must have known that too.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 25th Mar 2011, 11:00pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Mar 2009, 03:23pm) *
Big Tommy,
been touring this labyrinth and found your story and the replies it brought.
I remember you said somewhere you were really the wee tommy.
No your not.
You're as big as a blue whale man, or at least your heart is, your dear wife must have known that too.

Yes, this site has some hidden gems, such as the OP. Tommys story is one of true love, despite the holy terror.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 25th Mar 2011, 11:16pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (big tommy @ 26th Aug 2005, 06:53am) *
OH Betty !! I still miss her so much .People say to me that it will heal in time ,but i'm not sure I want it to heal .In 19 months there has nor been a day when I have not thought about her.

I haunt the cemetery 2 or 3 times a week just to be beside her remains .

I believe her soul is waiting for me in heaven .
I loved her so much . For no apparent reason I will become overcome with emotion and break into tears . Sometimes I actually hear her calling me .I feel her pressing in behind me in bed .? Am I being crazy ?

Love ''Tommy

That's because she is still with you Tommy and with that devotion always will be!

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 25th Mar 2011, 11:43pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Well done for reviving this thread, crewsy - and welcome to GG (if I haven't already done that).

Tommy doesn't post as often as we would like him to - it would be nice if he stuck his head up above the trenches, if he sees this wink.gif

wee davy

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 26th Mar 2011, 12:21am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Thanks davy, its a wee heart warmer. It reminds me a wee bit of when I discovered my maternal grandparents were married in The Sacred Heart Church in Bridgeton in the early 20th Century, as 21 year olds.

I decided to go along to The Church, I knocked on the door and a priest answered who was Father Stephen Dunn, I explained my purpose and he invited me in. It was some place, definitely had a presence of some sort.

Father Dunn went searching and came up with the Church log book which had the entry of the wedding, it was in latin, Franciscum and Margaretum. He gave me a copy of it.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 26th Mar 2011, 09:26am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 26th Mar 2011, 09:44am) *
Thanks davy, its a wee heart warmer. It reminds me a wee bit of when I discovered my maternal grandparents were married in The Sacred Heart Church in Bridgeton in the early 20th Century, as 21 year olds.

I decided to go along to The Church, I knocked on the door and a priest answered who was Father Stephen Dunn, I explained my purpose and he invited me in. It was some place, definitely had a presence of some sort.

Father Dunn went searching and came up with the Church log book which had the entry of the wedding, it was in latin, Franciscum and Margaretum. He gave me a copy of it.

That wis ma' mithers school Sacred Heart Bridgeton. back in the 1920s a' still have a picture of her class but cant recognise her in it. Lonnie Donegan went to that school as well. I've got her baptismal certificate some where an' I'll look up the priests name on it.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 26th Mar 2011, 11:38am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
My maternal grandparents were married in Sacred Heart in January 1930 and were together until my grandfathers death 60 years later. My mother and her brother were Baptised there as well. My grandfathers paternal grandparents were married in St Alphonsus on London Rd in 1869. smile.gif Mary

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 29th Oct 2011, 11:58am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
My wife and I were married in St Phillips in Ruchazie in 1969 and when we went for our interview to be married I was warned the the priest Father Cush was a terror and that the whole family were scared of him, the reason for the warning was that although brought up a catholic I had decided religion was not for me and was quite anti by this time.
We duly went for our interview and I was straight up with the man letting him know that it would be no skin of my nose if we went somewhere else to be married.
I dont know if I shocked him or perhaps he was scared of losing future little catholics but he could not do enough for us in order for the wedding to take place in his chapel.
Non of my wifes family could believe that he had backed down so quietly.

About four or five years after we came to SA we were sent a newspaper clipping showing that the archbishop of Glasgow was suing him in court for the recovery of some money after a parishioner had died and left their estate to the church but had named father Cush as the benificiary, who had pocketed the lot without passing it on biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.