Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salvation Army, Sunday School
Rating 5 V
proudmaryhiller
post 13th Jun 2010, 01:56pm
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
Don't know if this subject has been covered already? Does anyone remember The Salvation Army hut in Craigmont Street,Maryhill? my sister and I would go to Sunday School there,I remember you had to take a white card with you every week and if you had perfect attendance you would get a gold star!

I was absolutely mesmerised by the way they played the tambourines and just wanted to get my hands on one of them lol! I can remember that you would go there one evening mid week and they would ask questions I think it was mainly to do with the bible and if you got it right they fired sweets at you! you had to be really quick if someone gave a correct answer as these sweets were like missiles you would duck when you saw them coming at you (no health and safety in those days)!

Also there was a wee door that led to a room and I was fascinated by this door so nosey and wanted to go and see what was behind it! I also remember we were taken to a house in Stratford Street to sing to some elderly people they seemed to think I had quite a good singing voice and I was chosen on this particular occasion, well I thought I was just to sing the first verse of this song and stopped midway through it I remember the Major just staring at me and I had to ask if I was to sing another verse, I was near hysterical when I got home that night lol! I've enclosed a picture of the Hall courtesy of Mitchell Library.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th Jun 2010, 02:56pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
If ye were able tae look through this 'mary', in a line wi' the kids stood on the corner, oor back yard, and hoose wiz directly behind it - I spent much of my childhood playin' time in that lane just behind this.
The gable end on the right is what came tumbling down, around 69' in the great storm - crushing said hut to smithereens!
I'd forgotten about the sweeties getting chucked at ye'!
Across the street from the front of the hut, wiz the scrappy - another 'place of wonder', until one day I managed to get myself stranded inside an industrial boiler - the wee man who always chased ye' heard ma whimpering and I was eventually 'retrieved'. biggrin.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Jun 2010, 03:27pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I remember the sally with very dond memories,
mass at ten, the sally at two. I think it was mostly catholics that went. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
margie
post 13th Jun 2010, 04:16pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Lass, I remember the salvation army in Killearn street with great affection cause the chapel and the church would,nt christen me because my parents were different religion from each other so i was baptised in the sally ann. My aunty said it was the nicest service she had ever been at. I think they must have took pity oan me. cheers Margie. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Jun 2010, 04:37pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
margie the sally was so much fun, a dont know the one that was on Killearn St but at the one on
Craigmont there was a part during the service where Betty would ask us if we would like
to come up tae the front to speak tae the Lord biggrin.gif ,sort of like a confession tae tell'yie wee
sins.So at the frunt Betty asks ma sister if she has something to say to God, Aye she said,
God is it OK that a whis a mass this morning.
Naw margie they are luck to have you. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 13th Jun 2010, 07:39pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 13th Jun 2010, 05:13pm) *
If ye were able tae look through this 'mary', in a line wi' the kids stood on the corner, oor back yard, and hoose wiz directly behind it - I spent much of my childhood playin' time in that lane just behind this.
The gable end on the right is what came tumbling down, around 69' in the great storm - crushing said hut to smithereens!
I'd forgotten about the sweeties getting chucked at ye'!
Across the street from the front of the hut, wiz the scrappy - another 'place of wonder', until one day I managed to get myself stranded inside an industrial boiler - the wee man who always chased ye' heard ma whimpering and I was eventually 'retrieved'. biggrin.gif

Aw Davy I wish I could find a picture of my wee Street where I played happily for hours. In Craigmont St/Drive me and my sister used to go up and down there on our wee scooters! when I look now at how steep they were and no helmets either quite dangerous. I remember the scrappy and being taken through a very dark tunnel by the older kids and feeling terrified!
I don't know how any of us didn't end up seriously injured with the things you got up to, jumpin dykes over the manky middens lol! no Nintendo's in those days!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 13th Jun 2010, 07:42pm
Post #7

City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 13th Jun 2010, 06:54pm) *
margie the sally was so much fun, a dont know the one that was on Killearn St but at the one on
Craigmont there was a part during the service where Betty would ask us if we would like
to come up tae the front to speak tae the Lord biggrin.gif ,sort of like a confession tae tell'yie wee
sins.So at the frunt Betty asks ma sister if she has something to say to God, Aye she said,
God is it OK that a whis a mass this morning.
Naw margie they are luck to have you. biggrin.gif

lol! Lass I thought the Sally Army was only for Proddy's!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Jun 2010, 08:46pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
mary we had the best of both wurlds, cats in the morning and dogs in the aft.lol.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th Jun 2010, 09:01pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
aye - it wiz right enough, lass - a 'double scoop'! lol laugh.gif Don't remember huvvin tae tell God nuttin, in the efternin, tho'! Must've told him everythin in the mornin', eh?

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Jun 2010, 09:43pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
lol aye double scoop right enough davy, then we had tae tell the priest on Fridays
that we had been at the sally on Sunday. Is it a wonder that am so disfunctional. wacko.gif,
but no matter what a did love the singing at the sally,,,,,,,,,,,
we are climbing jacobs ladder ladder lol.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Jun 2010, 09:52pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Well I hate tae admit it but way oot in the sticks (Blantyre) in the mid '50s I got thrown off the Sally Ann fitbaw team ... too greedy; widnae pass the baw. Ah had the Holy spirit back then bit nae team spirit rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Jun 2010, 10:08pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
dae'yi have a spirit on'yi now Tee. ( or in'yi )

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Jun 2010, 10:39pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Ah happen to be a very spiritual atheist ... trouble wi' being gemini tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 14th Jun 2010, 12:07am
Post #14

City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 14th Jun 2010, 12:00am) *
lol aye double scoop right enough davy, then we had tae tell the priest on Fridays
that we had been at the sally on Sunday. Is it a wonder that am so disfunctional. wacko.gif,
but no matter what a did love the singing at the sally,,,,,,,,,,,
we are climbing jacobs ladder ladder lol.

biggrin.gif That song brings back memories and by god they could sure play they tambourines!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 14th Jun 2010, 08:59am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
The Sally Army are a fine institution. Engendering everything (and more) we know we ALL should/could be doing better. The wonderful thing is they have always done it simply for the joy of giving. This particular one, was a marvellous wee example to us all. I wonder if they ever got new premises somewhere, when it was destroyed?
Margie ye should dae a wee research project fur us awe - ye might just turn over a few 'stones' and find us some mair photies! A good place to start wid be the Sally HQ in glasgow.

davy

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.