Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Trip On Television Train, Train with TVs in carriages and Studio relaying passengers performance
TAL99
post 1st Sep 2015, 01:45pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 30,671
I have tried to find images or comments on this. We went on a school trip from Garnethill Convent school about 1959.

The train had its own studio and several of the pupils, myself among them, went to the studio carriage and the rest of the school saw us singing live.

Anyone have any more information? 3 of us are having a reunion in October and it would be great if I could find some info or photos. One is coming from Australia and one from France.

Any help or pointers much appreciated. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 2nd Sep 2015, 07:26am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
My class went on the television train in the 1960s. I can't tell you anything about it except that I spent the day sitting between the rows of the class below me as I was left behind because I couldn't afford the 7/6 to go along. I do remember hearing about it when they all got back though. sad.gif

+Quote Post
TAL99
post 2nd Sep 2015, 09:42am
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 30,671
Thanks for that and I am so sorry you didn't get to go on it. This is the first time I have used this forum so a bit of a rookie.

I am also trying to find another ex-pupil of Garnethill Convent her name was Elizabeth (Jo) O'Neil and she was the 4th member of our group who got up and sang on the train.

Where would be the best place to post on this forum in the hope of finding her? Thanks

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 5th Sep 2015, 06:35am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
It was a long time ago but t's funny how things stick in your mind. I got over it, lol.

Have you tried the Lost Friends and Relatives boards on here or even look to see if there is a specific school or area board?

Good luck in your search.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 9th Sep 2015, 09:21pm
Post #5

St.Gerard's the academic light of Le Guvan, wis the first of yaen tae go fur a hurl oan yon Teivishin Train. An' A wis oan it. I huv a very funny personal storey aboot it, well it wisnae funny at the time but it is noo.

+Quote Post
rainbowchaser
post 10th Jul 2016, 05:08pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,504
QUOTE (TAL99 @ 1st Sep 2015, 02:45pm) *
I have tried to find images or comments on this. We went on a school trip from Garnethill Convent school about 1959.

The train had its own studio and several of the pupils, myself among them, went to the studio carriage and the rest of the school saw us singing live.

Anyone have any more information? 3 of us are having a reunion in October and it would be great if I could find some info or photos. One is coming from Australia and one from France.

Any help or pointers much appreciated. Thanks.

TAL99 - I wish you luck in your search for memories. You are unlikely to find too many pictures because in those days cameras were big and expensive and complicated to work and unlikely to be trusted to an excited child.
I was on that train in 1961. There were three classes from my school - Saint Augustines - and we walked down to Possil Station - now demolished - and boarded the train earlyish in the morning. We were given a packed lunch and ended up at Callander where we got out for an hour or so. There was a TV screen at the end of each carriage. The pictures were all in black and white of course due to technology limitations. Several other schools were on board and we had a variety of dubious singers although there was one group of four urchins who sang 'Three Crows Sat Upon The Wall'. From my class I remember Carole Campbell went up and did gymnastics which on a moving train was a pretty good feat. She went on to Notre Dame a couple of years later but I never saw her at the Olympics so presumably her career in a leotard never took off. There was also a duet from two girls I sat next to - Mary Brannigan and Catherine Whiteford who sang - unaccompanied in those pre-karaoke days - 'Crying In The Rain'. If you can imagine the sound of a tomcat being neutered while scraping his claws down a blackboard then you will have a rough idea of what they sounded like. They weren't sure of the words and even the tune varied from verse to verse - but hey - at least they were brave enough to get up. The next day in school, our teacher - Miss Sheridan - was commenting on the trip and at one point she looked at Mary and Catherine and said 'Mary and Catherine....... well...yes' and looked away and no more was said. They may have later become Althia and Donna - who knows.
Back to the train. It was a standard coach and the carriage I was in had tables between seats which faced forwards and backwards. I think we also had some fuzziness with the screen and on the way back it didn't work - but it could be that the people running it did not want any further versions of 'Crying In The Rain'. (And prophetically - it rained when we got to Callander.)
I think the lady (above) who stayed in school to save 7/6d was the winner.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 11th Jul 2016, 08:52am
Post #7

Was first school on that train. St Gerard's Du Guvan. We wis all very excited and every pupil got up to do an audition. I started of with "She's Venus in blue jeans Mona Lisa with a pon....." "Right that's fine get loast".

Pat Kennedy who could play the accordion (whits a Cafferlik daein playin yon anyway) was given the job of entertaining us.

An that as they say "Was all folks" Nae cowboy movies, nae cartoons an nae point to the whole exercise.

Television train; they could have tooked us aw tae the Plaza fur a lot less!!!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 2nd Sep 2017, 08:15pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I read this with interest as I travelled on a TV Train from Glasgow all the way down to Blackpool on a September weekend in either '61 or '62. The system had a malfunction and so the broadcasting of fellow passengers beltin' it oot on the bevy was short lived. What I do remember of my first ever trip to England was that on arrival at Blackpool Central there was a whole squadron of Noddy-hatted, white-gloved, bobbies in position on the platform to shepherd the drunks as the disambarked, all the way to another platform where a train, steamed up and puffin', awaited to ship them back to The Toon.
I managed to enjoy an unforgettable September weekend in Blackpool though . thenightmares still wake me on occassion tongue.gif

I tried a about 3 months ago to do some research on that train but no no avail either with BR (which no longer exists as such) or Glasgow or Blackpool centrals.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 2nd Sep 2017, 10:25pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
THH, I've mixed feelings about a trip to Blackpool in September 1963, in my case we went by coach. I thought I had met the man of my dreams (I already knew him) and who knows, I may have, only on returning to Glasgow, my sailing papers had arrived. I was emigrating to New Zealand with my sister and we left Glasgow two weeks later. So, my big romance only got partly off the ground. Loved Blackpool and I had a special wee visit there in May this year, when my daughter took a detour off the motorway and we spent 2 days in Blackpool. What memories flashed back to 1954 when my Dad took us 3 girls there for a 2-week very happy holiday.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Sep 2017, 12:29pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Hi, Kiwi Lass, biggrin.gif who knows but I may be visiting Blackpool again sometime in the next few years ... and dragging Mary along too. The last time we visited it was to surprise my son whom I hadn't seen in years. The surprise, like most, could have worked out better with a wee bit of planning up front: he was in the process of moving house again and we practically got the lumber-room to sleep in which did not bode well with Mary. Her whole trip to England was a disaster and for her a Kultur-Schock as she described it.
That was around 25 years ago tongue.gif
Now my son has informed me that he is moving with his partner and his lads back to Blackpool just as soon as they buy the B&B place they have their eyes on.
I informed Mary and suggested there is no reason why she can not now make a second visit to the UK (before Brexit becomes a reality censored.png )
She asked if there would be a Bridal Suite ... for her alone laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
angel
post 3rd Sep 2017, 04:44pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 11th Jul 2016, 08:52am) *
Was first school on that train. St Gerard's Du Guvan. We wis all very excited and every pupil got up to do an audition. I started of with "She's Venus in blue jeans Mona Lisa with a pon....." "Right that's fine get loast".

Pat Kennedy who could play the accordion (whits a Cafferlik daein playin yon anyway) was given the job of entertaining us.

An that as they say "Was all folks" Nae cowboy movies, nae cartoons an nae point to the whole exercise.

Television train; they could have tooked us aw tae the Plaza fur a lot less!!!

-----------------------------------------

Ha Ha , I just read this older post of yours Billy Boil and I think that was a much better
train trip than the train we took going to Girvan with the School . sad.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.