Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Universal Basic Income, Could it work?
Betsy2009
post 8th Jan 2016, 10:13pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Interesting article. What do you think of it?
I'll wait and see what happens with the Dutch but it could be a positive step.

''A no-strings basic income?

My first response to the notion of a universal basic income (UBI) was: “Well, really. That is never going to happen! I mean, it’s completely unaffordable. I mean, it would be political suicide for any progressive party suggesting it.” And then I may have started to froth at the mouth slightly and ask if it would be paid to refugees.

Yet this year will see a UBI paid to residents of Utrecht and 19 other Dutch municipalities. Everyone will get about 150 a week, whether working or not. The unemployed won’t find themselves penalised for finding work, and the hope is that the state will spend less money snooping on benefit claimants, moving on the homeless or locking up those driven to crime. Advocates of this radical idea are keen to quash any notion that recipients of free money will just use it to lie around all day getting stoned. This is why it is being piloted in Holland.

The idea is so refreshingly contrary to the petty conditionality that is killing the welfare state that it began to fill me with optimism that there may be a few people lying in this political gutter still looking at the stars. Once upon a time, universality was the underpinning principle of welfare. Every mother got child benefit; every child got free school milk, until that was snatched away by … Oh, I can’t remember – I’m not one to bear grudges.''

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfin...ocid=spartandhp
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Jan 2016, 10:42pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Maggie Thatcher, the milk snatcher.

Hey with UBI, does that mean that Pensioners will also get 150 a week as well as their Pension.

Aye right.

No way will our Government pay UBI and I would agree with them.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 8th Jan 2016, 11:07pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Well we'd save a fortune on benefit administrators and their overheads, including properties.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 8th Jan 2016, 11:27pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
The idea of UBI goes back to the 18th century and it has been trialled all over the world so there should be enough evidence for Utrecht to know if it will work.

p.s The removal of milk from schoolchildren was not a Thatcher initiative it was started by Labour.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Jan 2016, 11:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Actually It was the Tory Government when Ted Heath was Prime Minister and Maggie Thatcher was Education Secretary.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jan 2016, 01:06am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

I received free milk in primary as did every pupil, it was under a Harold Wilson Labour government that it was stopped for secondary pupils. The same goes for mine closures, previous Labour governments shut more mines than Thatcher.

As for the article, i know its a bit of a downer but who actually pays for it?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
ktv
post 9th Jan 2016, 09:47am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
well UBI is good enough for our royals so it must be good enough for everyone else.

John, the state would pay for it.
the govs main purpose is to ensure the well being of all its citizens not just the wealthy as it would seem they do at the moment.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jan 2016, 10:29am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder

Where does the state get the money for it?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 9th Jan 2016, 11:21am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
The usual taxes, I'd imagine, same as now.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jan 2016, 11:50am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
So that would mean taxes would have to go up, what would be the point in raising taxes to then give it back as UBI. All that does is create bureaucracy and costs to manage, in other words on the whole less is given back than taken. It also might have the negative effect of pushing prices up as inflation would rise, the bank of England would raise interest rates to combat it and a slump in housing sales and building would follow. Some might have more money of course but a lot might be worse off.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 9th Jan 2016, 12:02pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
I've no idea how it would work. We'll have to wait and see how the Dutch do it but is that so different to taking taxes and giving it back in pensions/benefits/etc?

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 9th Jan 2016, 12:13pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
It would prevent this ...

16 of the scariest things we just learnt about benefits reform

There would be no need for food banks. Can't be a bad thing.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/16-of-...fFbNk?li=AA54rU

+Quote Post
ktv
post 9th Jan 2016, 12:22pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
no taxes would have to go up if the gov collected the taxes it was supposed to, there would be more than enough to go round.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jan 2016, 12:41pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder

Supposed to?
Individuals and companies are not doing anything illegal by limiting their tax liabilities.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
ktv
post 9th Jan 2016, 02:30pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
i never said anyone was doing anything illegal.

but if the gov collected all the tax they where due instead of allowing loopholes all over the place then there would be plenty of money and no need for the austerity myth.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.