Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Gorbals Boy Dies, An image which captured Glasgow's optimism
frame
post 14th Jul 2011, 03:26pm
Post #46

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
I saw this iconic picture of the the two boys some time ago. It really does depict a moment in time that was wonderful. Two boys on a mission that would last for an eternity. I was three years behind Les and George and I was somewhere in that square mile. Thistle, Hospital or Cumberland street. I wouldn't mind getting the glossy version and framing it. After all, wasn't that exactly how we were.
Sleep tight you two guys you did us proud.

--------------------
speed bonny boat
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 14th Jul 2011, 06:10pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
Frame - you can buy this photo from the 'Mitchel Libray', that and many others are stored there.

I don't have the nostalgia for 'Auld Glasgow' that some have on here - mind in the post war years, even during the war, there wasn't the belly hunger/wide spread diseases of the 30s.

+Quote Post
tobruk
post 14th Jul 2011, 07:37pm
Post #48

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,028
Hi folks, I lived in Riddrie on Dee street from about 1943 on; I would catch a tram on Cumbernauld street to down town. Down Duke st. and into down town Glasgow. Two things I'd like you to remember. Riddrie was where the Swells lived and the war was at it's darkest . I would go to the train station to stamp my name on the metal tag machine . The Gorbels was just another place I liked to go , never had a problem . I also loved the Clydesdale horse stables. It's true most of the time was spent in Alexander park across the street from my home ,then up to Hogginfeild loch .
Cumbernauld was just a village not yet filled from south end folks that were moved from the demolished tenements . Someone in 1947 wrote with paint on a wall " Eric Cameron is gone to America " that I was told was still there after 20 years. I hunted for it in 1993 but things had changed so much I could not find it or anyone who remembered the wall.
I do miss Scotland, best memories of my childhood are of Aberdeen, village of Monymusk and Glasgow. I can't even remember my first 10 years in the USA . My mother died and is laid to rest in Riddrie Cemetery . My father died In Ohio . I guess I'm Americanized now.
Frederick Cameron -------- cameron710@gmail.com

+Quote Post
*maureen michaels*
post 14th Jul 2011, 10:59pm
Post #49

This is one of my favourite photos of Glasgow. It was displayed in a calander my aunt sent me years ago. I lived at 1090 Dumbarton Rd in Whiteinch for about 3 months during the summer of 1963 in the old tenements and I loved it. We had a room and kitchen and an inside toilet. We had lived in Drumchapel prior to this and then moved back to the Drum again but I missed the old tenement life. Our neighbours were much more friendlier and everybody knew each other. I used to ride my roller skates under the Clyde tunnel to Govan (the queen had just opened it), and then I would ride back across the Clyde on the ferry...I would go home filthy dirty from dreepin the midgies and running through the old backyards. I live in Ohio now and when I tell my daughter about my childhood (we were poor, but I was really unaware of it) she asks me if I am sure I didn't live in the Victorian times, she finds it hard to believe I used to stuff cardboard in my shoes to cover the holes (I now own about 50 pairs) and only got a new coat about every two years. When I started working at Barcley, Curles in Whiteinch at the age of 15, I wore the skirt and shirt from my school uniform, then when I got my first paycheck which was four pounds, I bought an outfit to wear. Anyway I am rambling...RIP Gorbals Boys.....ps the previous writer from Ohio...wher abouts in Ohio...I live in Cleveland...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Jul 2011, 12:54pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (ashfield @ 13th Jul 2011, 07:26pm) *
I agree with those who don't recognise this as depicting poverty, it could have been taken at any number of locations across the city and there would have been another two little boys in similar dress.

Not only across the city but across the county.
As has been already mentioned here in this topic - and I dare say in many others, we; as children, growing up in that era, whether in the city or in the out-lying towns, never realised that we lived in poverty as such. We knew that there were rich people - but that didn't make us poor in our eyes. Anyway, when we went to the local rubbish dump to get enough bits to put a decent bike together, we didn't get a row when we buckled a wheel we just went back to find another wheel. laugh.gif
The beauty of that picture is that it was a picture of any and all of us weans.

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Jul 2011, 01:21pm
Post #51

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee)
... we didn't get a row when we buckled a wheel we just went back to find another wheel. laugh.gif ...

Good point, THH! Just shows you that Glaswegians were recycling years before it became fashionable!

I love the discarded (lost?) 'sucker' arrow in the photo just next to George Davis's right foot. That was when – before mass car production – children ruled the streets ... sometimes, if necessary, by force of arms! wink.gif

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
frame
post 15th Jul 2011, 01:59pm
Post #52

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
Appreciate the info' on Mitchell Library Tommy. I will be writing to that place soonest. Two young celebs in the making and they didn't even know it. Somehow I know looking at this picture from time to time will remind me of just how lucky I was, in a time and place that was pure dead brilliant.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Jul 2011, 06:53pm
Post #53

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 13th Jul 2011, 09:02am) *
... Also billtkd said it can't be Clelland St because it is only 190 Yrds long. In 1948 it was a lot longer, running from Gorbals St, crossing Hospital St, then crossing Thistle St, finishing at Crown St. The photographer was standing facing east at the corner of Hospital St, with Thistle St behind the boy's with Crown St at the top. As Jupiter said it isn't Glassford St as there is no trollybus power lines, also no tram lines, plus the first street on the right would be Garth St which doesn't cross Glassford St.

Thanks JAGZ1876, this had me thinking as I was pretty sure when I went to take the photo on Tuesday that I did not have the right spot even though I was in what is left of Cleland Street. Using your information, together with a map of the old Gorbals, I've now re-thought the original position of Bert Hardy in 1948. Please see the attached map to let me know what you think.

My position and direction is shown in green, and where I think Bert's orignal position (and direction) was is shown in blue.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Jul 2011, 07:06pm
Post #54

Administrator
Group Icon
The Scottish Sun ran an article today recreating the photo using two local boys. They also chose the spot I had used a few days earlier, so they are wrong also. That said, the correct spot would be inaccessible as it is now just in the middle of the road!

While I would say that there has been improvement in the 'New Gorbals' I would, however, disagree with the Sun's description of the spot which we both used: "But the streets behind them are clean, with trees brightening up the area."

See photo attached.

Sun article here:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/s...ears-later.html

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Jul 2011, 07:18pm
Post #55

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 13th Jul 2011, 10:19am) *
Hi Jagz you just stole my thunder tongue.gif , thats just what my maps of Gorbals show ...

Hi Norrie, can you also check the map above with yours?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 15th Jul 2011, 08:25pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
GG, you are correct with the original position, which is now part of a small car park, so it is still possible to take a picture from the exact spot using an old map and google earth. The sun did take their photo from where your green marker is, also what year is your map from? As it give's Cleland St As Greenview St to Hospital St (now Laurieston Rd). I always thought it was Cleland St from Main St (Gorbals St) To Crown St, perhaps some older Ex Gorbals residents could put me right.

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 15th Jul 2011, 08:36pm
Post #57

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
I agree with most of the comments on this photo.
I was an 8 year old living in Denistoun in 1948 and this picture is an accurate reflection of how we were and the local environment we enjoyed.
I was visiting Glasgow this week and I saw the picture and accompanying article in the paper where it stated that the photo was not used at the time.
It struck me on reading this that they probably felt it was inappropriate as the two "scamps" were obviously so HAPPY in each other's company it simply didn't fit with the idea of illustrating POVERTY.
This photo will always convey a sense of camaraderie and what it was like to be a happy little boy in Glasgow in the years just after the war.
May they rest in peace.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jul 2011, 09:50pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Loved the comparison foty and article in The New Gorbals post . It really shows how much Glasgow has come along now,,,,, slowly but surely. biggrin.gif , thanks for the post GG.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 16th Jul 2011, 12:20am
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
QUOTE (frame @ 15th Jul 2011, 02:52pm) *
Appreciate the info' on Mitchell Library Tommy. I will be writing to that place soonest. Two young celebs in the making and they didn't even know it. Somehow I know looking at this picture from time to time will remind me of just how lucky I was, in a time and place that was pure dead brilliant.

Mitchel Library is 'On the Web' - Frame, Just type in Mitchell at Google or Ask Jeeves. They have hundreds of pics of 'Auld Glasgow' and you can order copies on line

Also a great library to visit - magnifcient building - very helpful staff. Lots of 'free computers'

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 16th Jul 2011, 12:58am
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Dont forget the lovely big snack bar Tommy, thats ma favourite part rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.