Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recognition For Wallace Monument, Site of Wallace's historic betrayal
RonD
post 7th Mar 2012, 01:19pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
We often walked to Wallace's Well on a Sunday evening in the summer from Auchinairn when I was small. I remember looking down and feeling a little sad that someone had thrown an empty cigarette package down into it. I knew about Wallace by then since we had taken him at School. I loved and still love history and remember learning a lot of Scottish history at primary school. In today's terms Wallace and his band would been known as one cause altruistic agitators while the other key players such as Bruce et al were they corporate executives who vacillated in their loyalties in order gain the best for them selves at any particular time. Bruce went back and forth in his "loyalty" to Edward the 1st, one time being his man and other making a bid as a competitor for the Scottish crown.

I am truly a proud Scot but I try not to assert my Scottishness on not being English however, Wallace was in a time when England was the enemy and he was instrumental in gaining Scotland's independence as a martyr for that cause. I think that Scotland has too much history and my not appreciate that something that happened some 700 years needs to be cherished at least maintained for future generations, the well is one such monument. I have said this on other posts I don't understand with so much concern why a motivated group could not further its cause and maintenance. There must be enough like minded souls in Glasgow and environs to do this.

I'm sure that ex pats like myself would throw in a quid or two for such a project.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 7th Mar 2012, 05:25pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Well said Ron.... I agree that our monuments and famous places should be preserved and cherished for future generations to share and enjoy and puzzle over. Only in Scotland do you see the dodgy land developers demolishing our national heritage and the powers that be dont just look on but encourage it!!

Once these historical monuments and places are gone - they are GONE!!

+Quote Post
**Bernard**
post 8th Mar 2012, 04:56pm
Post #48

Good news's all these historic site's should be maintained by the government and if Scotland go independent we need these statues instead of demolishing them, get the builder why if they cant afford to maintain all the outlying monuments why don't they transfer the monument to St Georges square in the centre of Glasgow and it would be seen by all tourists and can go to the local library and read the full story behind the statue.

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Mar 2012, 08:10pm
Post #49

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
By continuing to reject its association with William Wallace, Glasgow may miss out on spin-off benefits associated with a major TV series being planned about the life of our most famous national hero:

A drama series on the life of William Wallace is being developed by STV Productions in association with Digital Rights Group, Nine/8 Entertainment and Creative Media. "Wallace" will focus on the backstory of its central figure, his years spent attempting to unify Scotland, his major battles and his personal life. "This was a turbulent time in Scotland's history, in which William Wallace had a starring and pivotal role," STV content director Alan Clements said. "We plan to delve deep into his character and explore his passions, bringing parts of history to life in a spectacular and raw depiction. With all eyes on Scotland in the current political climate, this also seems to be a very appropriate time to tell this story in more depth." ...

Full story here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...0,6059003.story

It's set to air in 2014, just in time for the Scottish referendum!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Mar 2012, 08:30pm
Post #50

Administrator
Group Icon
... and 2014 is also the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn:

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 13th Mar 2012, 08:44pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I do hope that we in Canada get the opportunity to see this series ,
especially if the truth will be told about the political scene in Scotland
during the lifetime of William Wallace .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Mar 2012, 09:14pm
Post #52

Administrator
Group Icon
Hi Angel, I think there will be wide distribution, especially where there is a strong Scottish expatriate community, so you should be in with a good chance.

Regarding the political scene, I have have to say that the scene then makes today's political shenanigans look like mere nursery play ... and that is saying something! With very few exceptions (and I'm thinking at a stretch Oliphant and the Frasers), every single 'noble' abandoned Wallace to the might and mercy of Edward I after the same nobles had sided with Edward. Not one noble (or clergyman) made any representation to Longshanks - following the treaty of Strathord in 1304 - to forgive or be merciful with Wallace. He as on his own!

If anything, the king of England proved himself to be more noble than the entire Scottish nobility, as he was brave, determined and loyal to his country (though he was also bitter, vengeful and very vindictive). He was no Wallace, of course, as he commanded the most formidable army in Europe, while Wallace started from very humble beginnings to ultimately defeat that army on the battlefield.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Mar 2012, 01:33am
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Yes Martin , Wallace was most definatey on his own , so many hippocrites , yes , even traitors looking to feather their own nest and to hell with Scottish independence .... And now , in the 21st century , has that attitude changed , I'm not so sure , I think that , "hung drawn and quartered ", still excists but in some other form or an other , as does treachery .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
kenb
post 14th Mar 2012, 02:46am
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
well said angel tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
*HH*
post 13th Apr 2012, 08:52am
Post #55

I am Egyptian. I am so happy that there is awaking of recognition for William Wallace the great Hero of Scotland. We have great admiration and respect for him in my country. I am planning to visit his monument while I shall be in Glasgow soon. It shall be a visit from Tahrir square to the memory of that great hero.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 14th Apr 2012, 10:02pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (HH @ 13th Apr 2012, 01:57am) *
I am Egyptian. I am so happy that there is awaking of recognition for William Wallace the great Hero of Scotland. We have great admiration and respect for him in my country. I am planning to visit his monument while I shall be in Glasgow soon. It shall be a visit from Tahrir square to the memory of that great hero.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Apr 2012, 10:26pm
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (HH @ 13th Apr 2012, 09:57am) *

rolleyes.gif is your mummy comin with yie "HH" ? tongue.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Apr 2012, 08:13pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
wombat, you continue to be incorrigable!
He better hiv his mammie wie him - he'll need her tae find the monument! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
wombat
post 15th Apr 2012, 10:07pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 16th Apr 2012, 03:21pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Well said HH.... have a great trip and I am sure your visit will go well!!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.