Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Gregory's Or St. Mary's, Maryhill, What's the name of this School?
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2010, 02:33pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
QUOTE (wee davy @ 15th Jun 2010, 12:45pm) *
This was 'officially' St Mary's Annexe - right enough known as the 'wee school' Lass. Wherease the 'big' school St Mary's Primary, wiz up in Duncruin St. St Gregory's took root in the wyndford, with the help of a Father Murphy I believe. He developed the new parish of St Gregory. Not sure when the Annexe was swept away to make way for the polis station.
I believe St Gregorys was marked for closure in the past couple of years?
Did it get a reprieve?

The main wummin at the Annexe when I wiz there, was a Mrs Marshall (for many years). I just remembered her name. She loved all the kids, just as if they were her ain. She also followed all our fortunes. Sweet lady.
God rest her soul.

I remembed wee Mrs Marshall, your right davy she loved us aw.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2010, 02:35pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 15th Jun 2010, 12:52pm) *
Thanks mags - I thought St Greg's started life through the Annexe. Then it moved over to the new building after about a year or so, when sufficient funds became available. I think it's quite a well known story about how the money was raised. So the real answer to this post is - it was BOTH!

Seems our posts crossed - sorry

davy

Thats what I thought too davy( St Gregs began at St Mays annex)

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Jun 2010, 04:35pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 15th Jun 2010, 01:03pm) *
I would be interested to hear how the houses were allocated in the 60s when it was built.
Joop.

I understand they were mostly filled by families from the older tenements in the local surrounding area, first. Those due for demolition were meant to be priority. This most certainly was true of Shawpark Street, and a little later on, up Garrioch Avenue way. Many chose to go to East Kilbride instead though.I also believe the SSHA took the flats over from the Corporation - but it was still a partnership for quite a long while.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 15th Jun 2010, 06:08pm
Post #19

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
My parents were on the Corporation list for the Wyndford and the way they did it was they sent you a letter and on this was a small tab with the letter 'W'....thinking it was the Wyndford my mum went to see them and was told it was actually Whitelaw Street! the second one that came in again 'W'... this time it was for Woodside, my parents decided to take this one as by then I think all the houses had been allocated by then, (worst thing they could have done) it meant my sister and I had to leave Shakespeare School and go to a school near at hand, I absolutely despised the place and Glasgow Corporation you have a lot to answer for sad.gif my mum was absolutely heartbroken and really just made the best of a bad job,we left lots of friends in Shawpark Street it was a terrible time, I was only 10 at the time and it's certainly not an experience I would ever want to repeat.

Now the Wyndford has quite a few problems, the place is still the same but unfortunately some of the people aren't sad.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2010, 08:39pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Mary I remember that, especially my mother saying about you guys going to live down there
whit a pitty she'd say poor J and G . We moved a bit before you, I remember my mom being offered a house in
a few of the schemes, and she refused them, thank god.
So going up to the valley was a blessing, I loved it, a thought that we had moved
out into the country because we were on the very highest st, way up at the top and could
see for miles. Best part being was that we still went to our same schools.
For me it was a double winner as I had my pals fae oor st, then my school pals
fae the valley. wink.gif

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 15th Jun 2010, 09:36pm
Post #21

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
QUOTE (proudmaryhiller @ 15th Jun 2010, 02:25pm) *
And this video too... I've made an enquiry about purchasing the full video seemingly they can turn it into a DVD for you!

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=4037&se...earch_fuzzy=yes

father brendan murphy was from st columba's chapel he came to the school on a monday to see if you went to chapel on the sunday if you did not go he would get a loan of the teachers belt and gave you 6 of it, he was a cruel sadistic b------- it put me of the catholic faith c/b

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:10pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
The only priests that I ever knew were father McCabe and canon Torley, both from St Marys.
Father McCabe was really nice, tho he did show a stern side at times.
Never saw either one lift his hand to any child.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:14pm
Post #23

City Key Holder
QUOTE (ceader bhoy @ 15th Jun 2010, 11:53pm) *
father brendan murphy was from st columba's chapel he came to the school on a monday to see if you went to chapel on the sunday if you did not go he would get a loan of the teachers belt and gave you 6 of it, he was a cruel sadistic b------- it put me of the catholic faith c/b

c/b that's just awful, my mum was catholic (lapsed)and dad protestant I suppose I'm kind of glad that I was brought up a Proddy! friends of mine were catholic and were absolutely terrified of the priests and every Saturday night they would be sent to confession, what the hell a 13year old had to confess is a mystery to me. I thought Priests and Nuns were suppose to be God-like?

So sorry if that video brought back not so nice memories for you, it seemingly has more on it, my own school Shakespeare and going around the tenements in Maryhill, that's what I'm interested to see. I was actually shocked when I saw a priest smoking once! I remember my mum saying some of them were the biggest boozers you could ever meet!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:25pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 15th Jun 2010, 10:56pm) *
Mary I remember that, especially my mother saying about you guys going to live down there
whit a pitty she'd say poor J and G . We moved a bit before you, I remember my mom being offered a house in
a few of the schemes, and she refused them, thank god.
So going up to the valley was a blessing, I loved it, a thought that we had moved
out into the country because we were on the very highest st, way up at the top and could
see for miles. Best part being was that we still went to our same schools.
For me it was a double winner as I had my pals fae oor st, then my school pals
fae the valley. wink.gif

Yes Lass I know what Schemes u are talking about eugh! you were lucky to remain at the same school, the one we had the misfortune to go to they were quite unfriendly towards me and my sister as they all came from that area and we didn't but its a long time ago now and I don't ever dwell on it just get a wee bit angry at times! Cube Housing Association here in Glasgow have actually taken over where you stayed and there was actually a couple of houses advertised in the Glasgow Evening Times for renting, that area is getting a huge makeover and looks like it will be absolutely lovely, wouldn't mind moving up there!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
Wormy
post 16th Jun 2010, 05:57pm
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,990
QUOTE (proudmaryhiller @ 15th Jun 2010, 01:17pm) *

just spent the last hour looking at this fab wee link, thanks for posting it. How come none of you lassies made a post about the size ot the stuffed toy,? it was bigger than the cooker .

--------------------
Life is not a dress rehearsal grab it with both hands and enjoy !

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 17th Jun 2010, 05:52pm
Post #26

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Wormy @ 16th Jun 2010, 08:14pm) *
just spent the last hour looking at this fab wee link, thanks for posting it. How come none of you lassies made a post about the size ot the stuffed toy,? it was bigger than the cooker .

Your welcome Wormy, that toy is huge! and that's a lovely wee compact cooker! luv retro smile.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 17th Jun 2010, 07:27pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
mary can you imagine the valley being re-built, I have spoked to many
who lived there before, so this is like a dream come true. A could greet just thinknig
about it. Thats all some ever wanted to do, was to move back home to the valley.
But its never the same as there will be many missing faces.
This is really great news for others like youself and family, it sure is a lovely
spot way up at the top of the hill.The air is fresh and clean, what a great
location to live in .Lass XX.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 18th Jun 2010, 06:29pm
Post #28

City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 17th Jun 2010, 09:44pm) *
mary can you imagine the valley being re-built, I have spoked to many
who lived there before, so this is like a dream come true. A could greet just thinknig
about it. Thats all some ever wanted to do, was to move back home to the valley.
But its never the same as there will be many missing faces.
This is really great news for others like youself and family, it sure is a lovely
spot way up at the top of the hill.The air is fresh and clean, what a great
location to live in .Lass XX.

Your so right Lass I know it's sad that most of the people we knew are gone but you know I've walked upndown Shawpark Street many times and although it's not what it was but it's still there if you know what I mean! haven't been up that way for a wee while, used to go up every week to the Maryhill Shopping Centre, I always liked up the Maryhll Park area.

I remember when we used to go out on the blue bus to Bearsden my dad's brother lived there and when we passed the catholic church (Immaculate Conception?) my mum would say to us when we were approaching there "bow your heads"! it got every time we passed there we would automatically do that! I would move back to Shawpark Street in a heartbeat if a suitable house became available. smile.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 18th Jun 2010, 08:51pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
My aunty betty lives in Shawpark street now, she moved there about 7yrs ago now and at the time she was feart, ( long story ) now she says the only way that she is leavin her house is feet first in a wooden box.

I have said on here on many topics I would move back to Maryhill in a split second if I had only myself to think of ..

Mary, I think you & I were both pulled out of our beloved Shakespear school around the same time. I am still recovering from the year I had to have a Ruchill Primary unsure.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 19th Jun 2010, 01:31am
Post #30

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Lennox @ 18th Jun 2010, 11:08pm) *
My aunty betty lives in Shawpark street now, she moved there about 7yrs ago now and at the time she was feart, ( long story ) now she says the only way that she is leavin her house is feet first in a wooden box.

I have said on here on many topics I would move back to Maryhill in a split second if I had only myself to think of ..

Mary, I think you & I were both pulled out of our beloved Shakespear school around the same time. I am still recovering from the year I had to have a Ruchill Primary unsure.gif

Lennox that is so lovely to know that your Aunt lives in Shawpark Street. I'm glad she has settled there ok, there's only a wee handful of houses left on the street. That's a shame you don't just have yourself to think of.

I think your right about leaving Shakespeare I can certainly empathise with you there,when I say to my sister how much I loved that school she always replies och I wasn't keen on any the schools we went to! it's so nice to know I'm not alone in my thoughts.

I had two years at Oakbank Primary sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it...and the teachers were horrors too, glad to say it's long pulled down,good riddance! mad.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.