Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Gregory's Or St. Mary's, Maryhill, What's the name of this School?
proudmaryhiller
post 13th Jun 2010, 11:30pm
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
Is this St.Gregory's Primary across from the Maryhill Barracks, or St.Mary's? always thought it was St.Gregory's? my house is just to the right (Shawpark Street) I remember we used to run through there to get to the Plots (a shortcut) and a wee man used to watch us and chase us out of there lol! I remember the protestant schools would finish a week before the catholic schools for summer holidays and we were never allowed to go near this school while the kids were still in....wonder why that was dry.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Jun 2010, 10:35pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
nice photy mary, kin'yi see ma wee house up there.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 14th Jun 2010, 11:11pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 15th Jun 2010, 12:52am) *
nice photy mary, kin'yi see ma wee house up there.

Thanks Lass yes I can but I canny see mine sad.gif we were on the ground floor, still looking for a picture of the street the Mitchell Library has pics of nearly every street in Glasgow except Shawpark Street! I just want to see it as it was not as it is now sad.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Jun 2010, 09:01am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
There was a similar type of school building on Maryhill Road just north of Duncruin Street and Im sure that was St Marys Primary school.There is a small school there now.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2010, 10:29am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Jup the school on Duncruin St was called St Marys, I dont know of any other that
was up there.
The one in the photy was lovingly called the wee school because that was St Matys primary
primary school, so'yi were close biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Jun 2010, 10:33am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Glasgowlass just to clarify was the school in the picture opposite the barracks St Marys? The reason I ask is because there was/is a St Gregory primary in the Wyndford and I thought maybe they transferred the old school in there.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2010, 10:49am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Thats right Jup, and St Gregs school came after St Marys.
Im not sure if they used the same building or not tho......
but on the other hand I think St Marys was just fixed up then called St Gregory.
Aye, right across fae the Wynford.Lass.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:27am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I went to that St Marys Primary School ,as a mater rof fact the toilets were in the stone building you see there .the other St Marys was in DuncruinSt I went there also
when my mother died in 1969 the School had become St Gregorys ,she was buried from there ,
St Gregorys was then moved to Kelvindale rd ,I have a wee notice telling that my mother had won 20 pounds in some pool they had wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:28am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
This was 'officially' St Mary's Annexe - right enough known as the 'wee school' Lass. Wherease the 'big' school St Mary's Primary, wiz up in Duncruin St. St Gregory's took root in the wyndford, with the help of a Father Murphy I believe. He developed the new parish of St Gregory. Not sure when the Annexe was swept away to make way for the polis station.
I believe St Gregorys was marked for closure in the past couple of years?
Did it get a reprieve?

The main wummin at the Annexe when I wiz there, was a Mrs Marshall (for many years). I just remembered her name. She loved all the kids, just as if they were her ain. She also followed all our fortunes. Sweet lady.
God rest her soul.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:35am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee mags @ 15th Jun 2010, 12:44pm) *
when my mother died in 1969 the School had become St Gregorys ,she was buried from there ,

Thanks mags - I thought St Greg's started life through the Annexe. Then it moved over to the new building after about a year or so, when sufficient funds became available. I think it's quite a well known story about how the money was raised. So the real answer to this post is - it was BOTH!

Seems our posts crossed - sorry

davy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:46am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Wee Davy, thanks for clearing that up.I was getting just a wee bit mystified as to what was what here.So the school previously at the Police office was an annexe.Im puzzled Wee mags that your dear mum,RIP, was buried out of a school.Was that the way they done it then?Did they have a service in the assembly hall?
I now know there is/was a St Gregory Primary school in the Wyndford and a church by the same name in Kelvindale Road.
St Gregory`s then is a result of work by the clergyman for the benefit of the children in the new Wyndford Estate.
I seem to recall that it was officially opened by HRH Princess Margaret and won a number of design awards for its design and layout.I had a number of friends lived in the Wyndford.
It was owned/administered by the SSHA if Im correct and not by the Corporation Housing Department.I would be interested to hear how the houses were allocated in the 60s when it was built.
Joop.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Jun 2010, 11:47am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Re the opening of the Wynford can anyone confirm who done the official opening.Ive seen a plaque somewhere but cant recall exactly where.
Thanks.
Joop.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 15th Jun 2010, 12:00pm
Post #13

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 15th Jun 2010, 02:04pm) *
Re the opening of the Wynford can anyone confirm who done the official opening.Ive seen a plaque somewhere but cant recall exactly where.
Thanks.
Joop.

Thanx everyone smile.gif

Jupiter if you go to this website I think this is what u are looking for? this is a great site.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=5481

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Jun 2010, 12:03pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 15th Jun 2010, 01:04pm) *
Thanks.
Joop.

It wiz Princess Madge Jup

--------------------

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 15th Jun 2010, 12:08pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
QUOTE (proudmaryhiller @ 15th Jun 2010, 02:17pm) *
Thanx everyone smile.gif

Jupiter if you go to this website I think this is what u are looking for? this is a great site.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=5481

And this video too... I've made an enquiry about purchasing the full video seemingly they can turn it into a DVD for you!

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=4037&se...earch_fuzzy=yes

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.