Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1 - 131, Alexandra Parade, Glasgow E1, Pre 1970 Images
Rabbie
post 22nd Apr 2009, 12:04pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
The era / area that I am interested in is pre 1970 Alexandra Parade, Glenfield and James Orr Streets. In particular, the section of Alexandra Parade that was bounded by Castle Street and Wishart Street and is now buried under the New Royal Infimary site.

I have marked the area on map.

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a source of auld images for this particular area.

I have been through The Mitchell, SCRAN, Glasgow Story with a fine tooth comb. Sadly, there are relatively few images of the area / era that I am hoping to dig out.

So hopefully someone may know of another repository or even have images of this area themselves!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 22nd Apr 2009, 03:24pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Dug up a map of what area was like 1857ish.

Attached Image

Was called Townmill Road then.

Wishart Street had a different alignment and it looks like the Auld Sockie, Molindinar Burn was not covered over and there was a bleaching ground where Glenfield and James Orr Streets would have been.

Very interesting what auld maps can tell you.

Here is the old 1857 map overlaid with the current road system. You can see what a mess it made of Townhead, remembering that at that time, some of Townhead was not even built!

Attached Image

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.