Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mass Tb X-rays, memory
gardenqueen
post 11th Aug 2008, 04:01pm
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I was looking at this You tube video and I am sure I remember this happening and that there was a unit round the corner from us in Milton. Mid fifties, maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21_ddVcx94s&NR=1

GQ
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 11th Aug 2008, 10:06pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Interesting video gardenqueen,and the shame of it all was that the iron lung hospitals and convalescent homes were full of asbestos at that particular time,I think we were the heart disease capital for quite a while also.

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 2nd Sep 2008, 10:13pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
My younger brother had a ' smit ' as our mother put it , of TB in 1975 . The whole family was x- rayed for it , but none of us had it . It is still a puzzle how he got it , as he had not been anywhere different from the rest of us . Don't know if they done a class check at his school or not . He did get over it , and was on medication for a while .

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 3rd Sep 2008, 02:03am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I don't remember all the e-rays. However I do remember the year my mother spent in a hospital in Lanark. I believe it was called Law hospital. How hard it was for us kids to be separated from our mother. My mom got so friendly with so many young women who unfortunately didn't make it. We were lucky she came home to us and lived to be 86, thanks to all the efforts of the health dept in Glasgow in the mid fifties. I still think you are very lucky back home with all the care you get, we all know that we complain but thanks to the Nation Health Service my mother survived a dreadful disease.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 13th Feb 2010, 03:16am
Post #5

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
As a child of the 50s and the child of a TB survivor, I well remember all the tests, etc. The first one I had was a "jelly" test (I think). A plaster was put on your back and then ripped off. Next thing was the "jag" and then x-rays which I had to have until I was 21. I was 4 when my Mum went to Robroyston and I didn't see her for 6 months. When she finally came home, I wouldn't let her out of my sight. Even to the extent of sitting outside the loo until she came out. Also would bo nuts if she sang, whistled, laughed as I thought she was going to die!! Very hard of a little kiddie to understand. Probably explains my very close relationship with her. By the way she lived to be 88. Thanks to all those wonderful people who saved her for me!!!

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 29th Oct 2010, 03:19pm
Post #6

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
It was the Brigton Public Halls that did the TB screening here.. ah wiz too young but remember older ones going.. in the 50s..

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.