Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> National Anthem, Spanish
david lowson
post 28th Nov 2003, 08:15am
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
Oh Dear the great Aussie sporting body has done it again. The papers and the press have put the Aussies two up in the Davis cup final.
That is not the problem, the national anthem was the facist dictator Franco. To Watch Hewitt with the fist in the air gets you thinking, he has got an ad here for sh..t paper, wants to put it where it is better suited.
It is 1,1 all by the way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Nov 2003, 08:51am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
No wonder the Spanish officials are furious David...what a mistake to make.Spain has forsaken anything to do with General Franco and to play the old Falangist anthem is a a major faux pas.King Juan Carlos is held in high regard in Spain for the way he replaced the dictatorship and then singled handedly foiled the attempted 1981 right wing coup and the current anthem salutes El Rey.Somebody is going to have to grovel-why was Hewitt raising his fist??. Keep us informed on the final Score David.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 28th Nov 2003, 12:00pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Scotslad,if you have ever watched Hewitt,you will note that when he scores a major point,he does the clenched fist ,arm bent at the elbow ,more or less saying. "You bloody beauty.".It was nothing more sinister than that.The mix up in Anthems, is not uncommon,at sporting and other events around the world.Love him or hate him,you have to admit that young Hewitt,is a major talent on the tennis court.!!!!!

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Nov 2003, 07:03pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Jimmy did not see the Hewitt game but did see the Philippousis-Carlos Moya game which was a real surprise because Moya is not a grass player but it was an exciting match-am hooked now on the weekends play-I gather the winner goes on to play Sweden.The anthem thing is being shown all around Europe today its caused quite an outrage...my Dad lives in Spain and even he has been on about it today.They played the old pre civil war Republican anthem not the Nazi Falangist anthem.-Spain is a brilliant country and the people are magic but when you understand their history and the sufferings they experienced during the civil war its understandable why they get so emotional about stuff like this.We have a politician here Michael Portillo-a Tory.His Dad fought on the republican side and had to flee in 1939 to the UK .A recent TV program here took Michael back to Spain and showed him meeting his now deceased Dad's brothers-all senior army people who worked for Franco-it was moving stuff to see how families had been torn apart by the civil war-His Dad could never return to Spain while Franco remained in power because the death penalty still hung over him -it was tragic.Good weekends tennis in store Jimmy but wow am divided again -love Spain. cool.gif

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 28th Nov 2003, 07:34pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Jes Jimmy he a very good player indeed, in my opinion he is not a very good ambassador to his country. Scotslad this is the final.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Nov 2003, 07:48pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks David-dead sure I saw a report today saying it was the semis and Sweden was in the finals but it was probably on Sky.See now it is the final-is play on both Saturday and Sunday?.Surprisingly I have never seen Hewitt play so I know very little about him .Phil the Greek(thats not a snub by the way just his name is difficult to spell) I have seen a few times at Wimbledon.You a tennis fan as well?

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 28th Nov 2003, 09:01pm
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Too much love in it, or its a racket. No not really Iain. find it rather boring actually. I like the one day cricket and dont mind the Aussie rules go the Brisbane lions 4 in a row.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Nov 2003, 09:44pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
I can enjoy a good game David-used to play and loved watching it but when the big base line hitters came in I lost interest in the game.One day cricket and Aussie rule footie totally alien nation am afraid.Think if I could sit down and watch Aussie rule football and someone explained it to me I might find it pretty cool from the little bits i've seen its defo in your face and I like that.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 29th Nov 2003, 02:33am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Think ah posted this on the old boards, about the time I went to see an Australian football game here in Toronto years ago with an Australian pal..A guy called the Rat was in it....MENTAL...like a mixture of Rugby and football combined.
Ah think they make the rules up Iain as they go along laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 29th Nov 2003, 07:57am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 241
Catherine, yer right, hen...they dae make it up as they go along but ah love it!!

David, after the success of the olympics and the recent rugby world cup it's very disappointing to see your remark about the aussie sporting body having done it again.
I could say "because they made one mistake?" but wont because, yes, it was a really bad blue.
The thing is...the trumpeter was given a CD (N.B. CD!!) of national anthems...it, the modern CD included a tune which has not been a national anthem since pre-1939.

As far as rubbishing Leyton Hewit for his gesture, that is no more than the gesture of any Australian sportsman when they've pulled something off (shut it, the rude wans among ye!)..and is no more than Jimmy said above.
I feel that the lad's matured very nicely over the last coupla years and may end up being a credit to us all. Of course, that could be the Belgian girlfriend that's helped him mature..whit d'ye hink? LOL

Davis cup score now?
the men won the doubles so it's 2:1 for the Aussies:)

--------------------
From Larkhall, no that far away really.

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 29th Nov 2003, 11:39am
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Mary the olympics are for the world not for australia, yes it was a great sporting event for Australia.
As far as the Aussie sporting body goes , take the test team to play India, what a bloody joke.
Surely you must judge a player by his performance, not by some bunch of biast N S W selectors.
The best thing that Hewits girl friend can do is dump the so far up his self. Wonerful player with a good future.

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 29th Nov 2003, 12:12pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Maybe so, David, but the Aussie sporting bodies and the Aussies in general contributed greatly to the spectacle and success of those world games.

Sounds like you're upset about something re: the cricket team? We, West Aussies, have similar complaints every time a new team's picled...after all, we ARE the best cricketing state in Aus, aren't we?? (ah bet every state says that annaw!)

Re: Leyton Hewitt...what's he done to upset you so badly?
I've not seen any displays from him that would make me be concerned for children watching him ....and that, I feel, is the benchmark on which we should be judging these people who are so prominent in the public eye.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 29th Nov 2003, 12:17pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
have similar complaints every time a new team's picled

LOL..needless tae say, ah meant "picked":)

Leen?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 29th Nov 2003, 04:52pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Och Mary ah preffert pickled...made mare sense tae me hen laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 29th Nov 2003, 09:31pm
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Aye but what state has won the the last few seasons pura cup?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.