Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Champions League Draw, Old Firm in groups for first time
hubert
post 16th Sep 2003, 11:24pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Rangers 2 Stuttgart 1. Nice win Rangers congratulations!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 17th Sep 2003, 10:07am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 463
Rangers did well to win last night, but in the end if football in Scotland is to progress we need more home grown talent. How many times in the last seasons have we seen the top two scottish teams turn out with about one or two Scots, and the rest, lets be fair, a load of foreign players who on the whole have passed there sell by date, else they would be playing in England where they would get more money

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 17th Sep 2003, 12:08pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Yes Ian
I think this is a situation that clubs all over Europe are facing.I believe it will go the other way soon,the cost is becoming prohibitive,for clubs.Still it is good to see the Gers get off to a good start,lets hope the Tic can go on with it tomorrow.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
hubert
post 17th Sep 2003, 11:22pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Well I saw the Tic game, and it ended up disappointing, before the game I would have taken a draw, then during the game with Celtic 1 up, it looked like we might get 3 points, then a blunder by the defense and it was 1-1, even then a draw and a point looked good, then a ball from the wing meant as a cross somehow eluded everybody, including the Celtic goalie, and BINGO its 2-1 for Bayern Munich, and thats how it ended! Oh well!
Shiest ist trumph. Sumthin like that!

+Quote Post
hubert
post 30th Sep 2003, 05:14am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Will see Celtic and Lyon the morra, Rangers go to Athens Pantinaikos Wednesday!

+Quote Post
big al
post 30th Sep 2003, 02:08pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
Let's hope that the Bhoys manage to win this time - we're in trouble if we don't.....

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
linzeh
post 30th Sep 2003, 08:59pm
Post #22

Lord Provost
Member No.: 338
well 2-nil to celtic ...looking to see the gers come away from greece with the points....

Saturday is the 1st OF....mind you we don't hear rangers asking to have it put over til sunday..... cool.gif

--------------------
not all that glitters is gold... not all who wander are lost

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 30th Sep 2003, 09:24pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
laugh.gif ...Good score eh Linzeh...{winkywinkywinkypoo}

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
hubert
post 1st Oct 2003, 03:51am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Lovely win Lhads, Larsson was simply irresistable his two assists were simply superb, that man not only scores them but makes them available for others, to score!
He is a world class player!
Celtic once again missed a penalty, if we ever go into penalties in a game, i fear the worst!
Linzeh yes Rangers will have one less day than Celtic to be prepared for the first OF game of the season, but Balde not playing due to his previous red card, that might equal things oot?
Should be a great game as usual! May the better team win, as long as its Celtic! LoL

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 1st Oct 2003, 03:56am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif .......Whit took ye so long? We thoat ye'd goat loast!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
hubert
post 1st Oct 2003, 04:51am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Funny you should say that, for I talked for awhile efter the game with nice people, a man that once owned the Hamilton Ontario fitba professional team, he went to Canada in 51 from Kilsyth, and he even brought the Celtic team to Canada ro play his pro team, and I was at that game in Hamilton 1966, Celtic won 11-1 HaHa, we reminisced he knew people I knew Etc
And a couple from Dumbarton same thing we played against each others teams in Renton and Canada yet I didnt remember him, on leaving I mentioned the man Beattie that owned the pro team he said is his first name Duncan, I said yes, well they are both into insurance and the Dumbarton man worked for him but didnt know it was the same guy, long time ago, he said I have lived in Hawaii 20years and done well, he said that man Beattie is a heavy hitter in the business, so its a small world after all?
All together," its a small world after all"
Whits the difference between Walt Disney and Bing Crosby?

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 1st Oct 2003, 01:07pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Bing did an Walt Disney? laugh.gif ...Here even smaller world after aw mibbe Hubert....Ye no ma dad wis from Kilsyth, an his cousin {brought up as brothers, wartime y'no} well ma uncle John married ma aunt Agnes....her maiden name is Beattie...bet they're related...Next time ye see Duncan ye kin ask him if he wis related tae the Beattie Haulage firm. Next time ah talk tae them ahll ask the same....worlds gettin smaller aw the time eh!! Cripes whit topic we oan? Oh football..right...Whit aboot you Jimmy, did ye see the game?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 1st Oct 2003, 10:27pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Saw the highlights on ESPN Catherine,my nephew in Glasgow told me it was a cracker.Good result for the Gers ,handy point that.
Mind you Linzeh,they would not dare, ask to have the game moved to Sunday.Imagine the troubles that would cause if granted their wish. biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
hubert
post 2nd Oct 2003, 04:33am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Yes that is a good point for Rangers away from home, the Greek team are undefeated at home in 9 European cup games I believe. This puts Rangers top of their group after two games, 4 points.
Rangers next game is against Manchester United, in the CL, battle of Britain, should be a tough game for both teams.
Catherine I will try and find oot about your aunt Agnes nee Beattie?

This post has been edited by hubert: 2nd Oct 2003, 04:35am

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 3rd Oct 2003, 11:44am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
interseting

ALEX McLEISH last night blasted the SPL for forcing his shattered European stars into a crunch Old Firm showdown less than 55 hours after they jetted home from Athens. McLeish has accused league bosses of deliberately disadvantaging his side in whathe regards as a blatant attempt to settle a score left over from last season's epic title race.

A huge row exploded beforethe final derby clash of the campaign when Celtic manager Martin O'Neill attacked the authorities for forcing his side to take on Rangers 58 hours after they had returned from a UEFA Cup semi-final triumph over Boavista in Portugal.

O'Neill claimed famously that the men who run the Scottish top flight would never have forced Rangers into a similar position and now McLeishbelieves he is payingthe price for those accusations of bias.

The Ibrox men arrived back in Glasgow at 5 am on Thursday morning following their 1-1 Champions League draw against Panathinaikos and McLeish and most of his players were not tucked up in their own beds until around an hour later.

He said: ``We have to get ourselves ready for the Celtic game now. The SPL saw fit to make us play on Saturday at lunchtimewhich looks like acase of two wrongs not making a right.

``They look as if they have evened up a score from last season.

``It's another example of the dark ages in Scotland but my players won't need to lift themselves for Saturday.''

SPL chief Ian Blair said: ``The fixture list was issued some time ago and Rangers were aware of the date. There is no attempt to even up old scores.''

Here's what was said by those involved when the row broke back in April.

Former Celtic chief executive Ian McLeod: ``This fixture could cause public disorder there is a perception among Celtic fans that the SPL is biased and I think that is true.''

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill: ``The SPL's decision to make us play is nonsense.

SPL chairman Lex Gold: ``Martin O'Neill is talking cobblers.''

Rangers chairman John McClelland: ``We would not have appealed if we found ourselves in the same situation as Celtic.

``We might not have been comfortable about having such big games so close to each other but we would not have appealed

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.