Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Celtic Pay The Living Wage?, A decision which shames Celtic's history?
GG
post 25th Nov 2013, 11:47pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It's been described as "the grubbiest" decision ever made by a Parkhead board, and one which shames both the board and the shareholders of Celtic Football Club. The decision in question is the one taken recently by Peter Lawell (basic salary: 999,591) and his cronies to deny employees of CFC the 'Living Wage' of 7.45 per hour rather than the minimum wage of 6.31 per hour.

Writing in Sunday's Observer, Celtic supporter and journalist Kevin McKenna was indignant, claiming the decision was a disgraceful example of the unbridled greed in football clubs' boardrooms:

Ten days ago, at Celtic's annual general meeting, the sacrifices and unstinting devotion of these people and their forebears were betrayed by those who claim to be the modern custodians of what the club is supposed to stand for. A motion by the Celtic Trust calling for Celtic to ensure that each of its employees is paid the living wage rather than the minimum wage was thrown out by the rich men and money-changers who hold sway at Celtic Park. Directly addressing them, Jeanette Findlay of the trust stated during the debate that preceded this act of corporate and social irresponsibility that it was a decision that "shamed you and shamed us". It was all of that and then some.

For this is a football club that for decades has portrayed itself as the Mother Teresa of world soccer: scattering goodwill and charity in its wake; healing the sick and comforting the poor. The romantic narrative of its scrofulous origins has helped to spread Celtic's fame well beyond Scotland and Ireland. While many of the descendants of the Catholic Irish who came to Scotland have become affluent, successful and influential, the fact remains that the Celtic support still occupies the lowest rung of Britain's socioeconomic ladder. Its bedrock is in neighbourhoods of Glasgow's East End and Lanarkshire where the indicators of poverty and illness are among the highest in Europe.

Many of those who are in work will be labouring for barely the national minimum wage. A top-up to the living wage would make a considerable improvement in their lives. This winter,they will encounter fuel poverty and food shortages. Many will need hand-outs from the increasing number of food banks in Glasgow. Yet, and let's be frank here, the so-called living wage isn't really a wage to live on at all. The Living Wage Foundation calculates that it is the minimum required to allow a person to rent property, run a car and eat healthily.

Lawell and co claimed that the adoption of the Living Wage would cost Celtic 500,000 per year to pay is 180 minimum-waged employees. This sum can be seen against a backdrop of Celtic reporting pre-tax profits of 9.74million for the year to June 30 on a 47.7% rise in turnover to 75.8million.

Do you think a club such as Celtic, with is long history of local social responsibility and charitable donations, should ensure that its poorest paid staff should have the dignity of taking home the Living Wage to their families?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Noonan McKane
post 26th Nov 2013, 12:26am
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,552
Of course they should. Any business, big or small (and Celtic FC, although it's a huge 'brand' and known globally as an institution of both sport and popular culture, is still a fairly small employer. It's payroll is only hundreds of people, not thousands) which finds itself recording 10 million profit through the deepest recession for decades should have the good grace, and good sense to realise that a few extra quid on it's wage bill will hurt a lot less than the damage it's public image will suffer as a consequence of failing to pay it's employees enough to live on.

Sort it, Celtic. Sort it now.

Hail, hail.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 26th Nov 2013, 05:10am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
As a Celtic supporter I have to agree that this is one of the grubbiest decisions made by any Celtic board, if the club was struggling financially i could understand it but with the potential cash flow they have for the foreseeable future it is a disgrace and a fight they are going to lose, if I was living in Glasgow I would support any movement to put pressure on them to change this decision.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 26th Nov 2013, 08:16am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
GG, I also think Kevin McKenna was spot on with his piece on this. The living wage should be the minimum standard for all organisations to pay their employees and Celtic should have joined those who already do. The board should hang their collective heads in shame at this decision.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 26th Nov 2013, 03:20pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
As long as I am still living, and as often as topics like this are discussed both here and of an evening in front of our tellies at home by families, we still have this greed by those at the top, whilst others working for the same organization - in this case Celtic have to get by on a mere pittance of a wage - why is it that this never changes, and who is it that decides anyone not in a managerial post, should be worth more than other employees.

This leaves me speechless and very angry every time something like this comes up. I'm disgusted at the powers that be who deem themselves to be worth more than other individuals at Celtic Park. I would urge them to reconsider, and I have been a lifelong supporter of Celtic FC.

When I used to contribute to the sports thread on here, I often mentioned (and my opinion is the same now) that I was not and never had been a fan of the Celtic Board - status quo only more so, since learning what they earn.

Shame on them.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Nov 2013, 04:16pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Im sure the Celtic board will relent to pressure as it seems they are in line for a big payday from BT Sport. The minimum wage has become a curse in society as it has failed to rise in line with costs.
I was just reading this morning about an English premier league goalkeeper-he earns 110 K per week.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Nov 2013, 04:18pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Carmella, I totally agree with you and I am also disgusted with the greed of the people at the top of Companies
With their massive salaries and the even more massive bonus's they pay themselves.
It seems to have got worse these last few years and of course the Government does nothing about it

It's like we are back to Victorian days, keep the working class down.

Every worker deserve's to earn a decent living wage.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Samantha
post 26th Nov 2013, 05:21pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 18,635
There are, of course, facts and reasons this decision was reached but that shouldn't cloud anyone's judgment about either Celtic or the fact that every worker deserves to earn a decent living wage, it does go without saying.

http://celticjournal.org/3452/standing-law...medium=facebook

I consider the article penned by Mr. McKenna badly written. It would do him well to stick to facts instead of name calling. "Mother Teresa of world soccer" Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear

--------------------
Dum excusare credis, accusas

+Quote Post
anonymous
post 26th Nov 2013, 08:35pm
Post #9

Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,804
QUOTE (GG @ 26th Nov 2013, 12:04am) *
of local social responsibility and charitable donations, should ensure that its poorest paid staff should have the dignity of taking home the Living Wage to their families?

GG.

GG are you suggesting that clubs who don't have a history of social responsibility and charitable donations are justified in not paying the living wage?

Although this discussion came about as a result of Celtics AGM I'm sure most if not all of football clubs pay minimum wages (or maybe less). How many football clubs in scotland pay the living wage?

I'm sure apple and nike will also say they have social responsibility and make charitable donations it don't stop them paying most of their workers a lot less than minimum wage and treating them very badly.

The merchandise bought by football fans in the country is most probably made in sweatshops as is a lot of the goods we buy, of course Celtic as all employers should pay a living wage, lets link it to fuel prices and have a proper living wage.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 27th Nov 2013, 07:41pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Maybe they should start paying Lawell and the players the living wage because last nights performance was awful.... Celtic had a chance to build on last year by spending some of the transfer money on a couple of quality players and instead they missed the boat and the fans will miss out now. Was also speaking to a taxi driver last night who is a Gers fan and he was desperate for the Celts to win last night because of the business the European games bring.... so its just not the club they have let down but the city businesses.

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Nov 2013, 10:58pm
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (red rooster @ 26th Nov 2013, 08:52pm) *
GG are you suggesting that clubs who don't have a history of social responsibility and charitable donations are justified in not paying the living wage? ...

RR, I wasn't really suggesting anything, I was mainly asking a question in order to stimulate some responses to a very important issue. Personally, I believe that all clubs and businesses that generate a significant profit and/or dividends should pay their staff the Living Wage. This isn't just philanthropic on the clubs' part, but evidence (and common sense) shows that people earning a decent wage tend to be happier and better workers, and their families get a better opportunity to grow up in a healthier environment. However, even leaving that aside, as an economic policy, transferring money from shareholders and fat cats to lower paid workers stimulates growth in the economy because the latter are far more likely to spend the money on local goods and services. I suspect you may think along similar lines?

If Celtic commit the minimum wage, based on its long history of " local social responsibility and charitable donations", then it might act as a beacon to which other clubs will strive to follow?

I absolutely agree with you about the Apple/Nike attitude and also the merchandising of football clubs being the result of sweatshop labour. The ironic thing is that potential change is in the hands of consumers – we could change our buying habits to punish companies who do not have ethical employment policies, but how many of us actually do this? Anyone shopping at Amazon for Christmas...?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 27th Nov 2013, 11:14pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Nov 2013, 04:33pm) *
Im sure the Celtic board will relent to pressure as it seems they are in line for a big payday from BT Sport. The minimum wage has become a curse in society as it has failed to rise in line with costs.
I was just reading this morning about an English premier league goalkeeper-he earns 110 K per week.

Jupiter

Wayne Rooney gets 300,000 a week and has just signed a new contract to give him more!!!!

Football fans have got to take some of the blame for this. They are willing to pay big bucks to see a wee ball getting kicked around a football pitch by some guys who couldn't lace the boots of the really great footballers of the past, who travelled by tram car to get to the football grounds, and finished up as labourers or lorry drivers when their careers were over.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
anonymous
post 28th Nov 2013, 12:15am
Post #13

Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,804
QUOTE (GG @ 27th Nov 2013, 11:15pm) *
I absolutely agree with you about the Apple/Nike attitude and also the merchandising of football clubs being the result of sweatshop labour. The ironic thing is that potential change is in the hands of consumers – we could change our buying habits to punish companies who do not have ethical employment policies, but how many of us actually do this? Anyone shopping at Amazon for Christmas...?

<iframe width="468" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CXWJ4GfQ22E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GG.

My feelings entirely GG you hit the nail on the head in saying change is in the hand of the consumer, people pay lip service in condemning the Atlantic slave trade, whilst actively supporting modern day slavery by purchasing it's products, slavery is evil until it benefits us.

Thats the difference between the slave trade and modern day slavery the former benefited only the rich the latter benefits us all and we are all responsible for their being more slavery in the world than at any other time in history.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 28th Nov 2013, 12:46am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I don't buy Nike trainers or t'shirts, etc., with company brands/logos on the outside. I don't buy designer wear - the cheaper end on principle and the expensive end on cost.
However, unless we all pay more for our clothing there will always be sweatshops churning out cheaper clothing.
It doesn't seem to make any difference which shop you go into, unless it's fair trade, there's always a hidden cost somewhere.
It's the difference in cost to make and the cost to the consumer that makes the difference. A football kit - 1.50 to make - selling at 60????
I do appreciate that going to the football is a whole different experience to watching it on TV but if everyone 'went on strike' and refused to attend for say one month, what would the outcome be? Put the prices up or reduce the gate cost? Would this support the staff or would they just loose their jobs.
Perhaps every company/organisation should become a co-operative?

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 28th Nov 2013, 02:28am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Having being in the Celtic corporate box for dinner and the game, (Hearts, Barcelona and Aberdeen games) the staff deserve a pay rise at the amount of running around they do.
Also for the lady who gives you the tour before the fans are let in.
And I must also mention the real gentlemen, Bobby Lennox and Billy Mc Neil who gladly spent time with you at half-time and after the game .
The Celtic board need a good kick in the erchie. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Dec 2016

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.