Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Villages Of Glasgow, by Aileen Smart
pumps100
post 12th Jan 2012, 12:24pm
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I don't know if it is just me, but nowadays when I want to use the internet for research purposes, I find it is proving to be less helpful than it once was. Search 'Pollokshaws', and you're more likely to find reference to Frankie Boyle's book, or where you can buy a pizza, and suchlike - not much by way of local history. Search engines seem to be all geared up today just to try to sell you stuff.

So, sometimes it is easier to have a few good reference books to look at. For anybody that is interested in the history of Glasgow and its environs I would like to thoroughly recommend 'Villages of Glasgow' written by the historian and lecturer Aileen Smart. There are actually two books - Vol.1 & Vol. 2 split between North and South of the Clyde.

- Volume 1. Covers; Anderston, Bridgeston, Partick Calton, Maryhill, Camalachie, Parkhead, Springburn, Shettleston & Tollcross.
ISBN 0-85976-232-7 first published 1988 by John Donald, Edinburgh

- Volume 2. Covers; Cardonald, Cathcart, Crossmyloof, Gorbals, Govan, Govanhill, Hurlet, Langside, Nitshill, Pollokshaws, Polmadie, & Strathbungo.
ISBN 0-85976-391-9 first published 1996 by John Donald, Edinburgh

Each section covers a specific area and follows a similar format. A map of the 'village', followed by a history of the area since its early formation, local industry, its people & origins, church, and social & leisure activities.

My wife is the family researcher and our particular interests are in Bridgeston, Gorbals, Partick and Cathcart. We've both found the books to be an invaluable source and really interesting.

You can get a copy on Amazon. Volume 1 is cheaper second hand than Volume 2 but still very good value for the quality of the book.

Regards

Ian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.