Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Special' Fish Supper, What made it special?
*Backcauseway*
post 5th Apr 2016, 09:25am
Post #31

Years ago worked part time-weekends-in a "chippy". The "specials" in breadcrumbs were done at a slightly higher temperature in one of the deep fat fryers. They did soak up a bit more fat but you had to keep and eye on them and get them out at the right time. A "wee" bit of an art of the fryer! But a fresh Haddock in breadcrumbs done by an expert should be crisp on the outside and warm and white without crumbling on the inside. Very little oil/grease! We experimented with trying potatoe fritters in breadcrumbs but they soaked up oil. Some "chippies" do fritters but they soak up oil. We did try "hash browns" etc but again they soaked up oil. We had a regular who got us to do a round pie in batter! Rather greasy! I think that beats the "pizza in batter" I see nowadays. The other "special" we did from time to time was double fry the chips. Chips when "ready" float to the surface of the oil. We put them into a basket in the fryer we used for the "specials" ie higher temperature of oil and gave them an extra minute or two. That was for "crispy chips" which were a few pence extra. We used "Ruskola" bread crumbs in a special batter which the boss - an Italian of the "old school" made up and I know he used egg whites in his "special mix". I suspect that is now long gone. Probably standard mix in a big box. Did anyone else work in a chippy in the late 1950s or early 60s and remember the "secret" of the batter mix? Each chippy seemed to have their own special mix. The old Italian guy I worked for used to argue like mad with his other Italian chippy pals his batter was the best. I thought we could make a fortune if we could do potatoe croquets in breadcrubs with a ham or cheese filling. Again they soaked up too much oil.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.