Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Real Old Former Pupils Of St Kent's, Last of the many
Rating 5 V
oldbiker
post 20th Jan 2016, 03:05pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,497
I am delighted to read of all the experiences at The Mungo
What has surprised me most is that the appalling cruelty that I and my fellow pupils underwent in the late forties ( I was at St Kentigern's from 19 46 to49) carried on to the end of the sixties-
A whole generation later.
The teachers were barbaric though we never discussed the matter thinking that all teachers in all schools were alike though my protestant mate at junior secondary seemed to talk of his teachers in a different
Coming from a lovely wee school in Knightswood the shock was neuclear.
The dismal surroundings of a 40ft wall separating the pupils from the polution of the biggest smoke emitting goods station in Glasgow, the smell of cider from the huge bond house on the west side, the women's prison on the North and the molendinar burn and the Gt Eastern model lodging house
to the east must have made it the most undesirable school in Glasgow.
Most of us had to go to school dinners as we were all so far travelled, the Mungo being the only higher education school for Catholic boys. At pimmary the food was brilliant At the Kent it was appalling.-and cold
Classic in those years was two tiny scoops of potatoes that would the size of an infants cone one slice of spam or whale meat two slices of beerroot followee by lumpy semolina ( semolina from the molendinar)
But there was one great escape
The tattie howkin
Three weeks on October on a farm in Perth. Living in the local school and marverlous food made by German prisoners of war. Great guys And and that's from someone who was bombed out in the Cliydebank blitz
When my class teacher Obergefteiter Finnegan told me in front of the class that my father was not going to allow me to stay on past fifteen, he said this to be hurtful.
In todays parlance I could have leapt in the air and shouted Ya dancer
But of course I did not
I left to become an electrical engineer having gained nothing from three years at St Kent's other than meeting a lot of fine guys, and it is for this reason I write, in the hope that there is the odd old FP from that age, who might post something.
My advice is make it sharp The glass is running out
Phil Wilson 1C1 2C2

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.