Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People We Remember In Our Lives, Folks who influenced us
buntyq
post 4th Jan 2006, 12:00am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
When I read Andy's post about a teacher who influenced him I thought that we must all remember people who guided us to be better human beings.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Jan 2006, 09:25pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I still laugh when I remember one Teacher who during an RK period (Religious Knowledge) decided to add in some Sex Education.
" Girls, you should go to Confessions often, so that when you go to Holy Communion you are in a state of Grace, and stay away from boys, because boys lead a girl into sin and leave her holding the baby". laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 4th Jan 2006, 09:39pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I can certainly remember one teacher who influenced my life but not in a way to make me a better human being.

One teacher I had, in the infants no less, gave me the belt one morning nine times in a row because I couldn't memorise a prayer she was going round the class with. Every little one of us got belted and belted and belted and it was only when the bell went for her coffee break that she decided to stop.

Yes, she influenced me alright. I would love to meet her now, as an adult, and question her about her teaching methods.

Why was that allowed? Why did they get away with belting infants. I was a well behaved, shy little thing, I would never have thought to complain, just took it, too embarrassed to tell at home. Anyway, nothing would have been done.

That has stayed with me all those years.

Yes, she influenced me alright. I suppose the only positive thing was that I became a teacher myself and have never lifted a hand (never mind a belt) to a child in my care.

GQ

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 5th Jan 2006, 01:54am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Heather, that was funny. I had some early punishments from the good sisters in a convent school. After running home a few times too many my mammy put me in the local school. My fondest memory is of a young woman who was a Jehoviah's Witness. I know that sadly they often get the blunt end of the stick. Flora would use her lunch hour several days a week to dictate to me so that I would pass my shorthand exams. I got to know her family and they truly lived their beliefs. My other memory in that company was a boss who gave me a second chance. I would stay up late reading and couldn't get up in time for my tram. After one too many late arrivals, Mr. Willis called me into his office. He first of all affirmed that I was a good worker and they liked having me in the company but if I continued to come in late he would have no choice but to let me go. That did it. I was never late after that and indeed to this day I am always early and ready away ahead of time. This drives Suzy crazy because she is one of those last minute people. There are others I could mention who have had an influence in my life but Flora and Mr. Willis stand out in my memory.

+Quote Post
campsie
post 22nd Aug 2010, 01:50pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
QUOTE (buntyq @ 4th Jan 2006, 12:45am) *
When I read Andy's post about a teacher who influenced him I thought that we must all remember people who guided us to be better human beings.

HELLO, BUNTYQ,
MY MUM USED TO MENTION A FRIEND CALLED BUNTY, AND IT IS AN UNUSUAL NAME SO WHEN I SAW YOUR QUOTE NAME I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK DID YOU KNOW AN INA AS SHE WAS CALLED THEN, BUT HER NAME WAS GEORGINA DUNCAN

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 4th Jul 2011, 10:37am
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I also remember a teacher very fondly. He was considered a bit of an oddball in his day as he used unconventional teaching methods. He was an English teacher and he would frequently use different types of music to try to get us to think about things in different ways. Role playing as well was one of his fav tricks to dupe us into thinking from a different viewpoint. He would also take us walks around the local area in Shettleston and then get us to think about and write about what we saw. Mr Jones really made you think.... a very unique teacher who did a lot of good work but would probably not be allowed to do the same nowadays.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 5th Jul 2011, 03:31am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Heather @ 5th Jan 2006, 07:01am) *
I still laugh when I remember one Teacher who during an RK period (Religious Knowledge) decided to add in some Sex Education.
" Girls, you should go to Confessions often, so that when you go to Holy Communion you are in a state of Grace, and stay away from boys, because boys lead a girl into sin and leave her holding the baby". laugh.gif

Sex education in St. Gerards; carried out by a maths teacher. "You have the instrument of God's creation in your keeping. Don't toss it away."

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 5th Jul 2011, 03:35am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 5th Jan 2006, 07:15am) *
I can certainly remember one teacher who influenced my life but not in a way to make me a better human being.

One teacher I had, in the infants no less, gave me the belt one morning nine times in a row because I couldn't memorise a prayer she was going round the class with. Every little one of us got belted and belted and belted and it was only when the bell went for her coffee break that she decided to stop.

Yes, she influenced me alright. I would love to meet her now, as an adult, and question her about her teaching methods.

Why was that allowed? Why did they get away with belting infants. I was a well behaved, shy little thing, I would never have thought to complain, just took it, too embarrassed to tell at home. Anyway, nothing would have been done.

That has stayed with me all those years.

Yes, she influenced me alright. I suppose the only positive thing was that I became a teacher myself and have never lifted a hand (never mind a belt) to a child in my care.

GQ

Yes for "gods love' I had prayers belted into me on a regular basis made me really devout and dedicated to our pain inflicting ( Imean look what they did to Jesus) religion.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 4th Oct 2011, 07:26pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I think this was a good idea for a thread.

As it hasn't seemed to have taken off (for whatever reason) I thought I'd give it a wee bit of first aid.

One of the biggest influences in my life, was a little short a**ed Air Force Sergeant, whom I worked with, called Jimmy Mearns.

This wee man commanded respect from ALL who knew him - and most of ALL, his team of 'lads'.
He knew what made us tick (and it wasn't just the occasional appreciative pint in the pub, after a sometimes difficult week - although it was always MUCH enjoyed).

Not for him, the wanting to shine or 'look good' in front of the officers, at all costs.

In fact, he invariably, would often not hesitate to stand up for us - even to the point of taking a good bollocking, FOR US!

Jimmy taught each one of 'his lads', how to get the best out of a team.

And for that I truly thank him - god rest his soul.

A man who led by example

wee davy

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
kenb - old accou...
post 4th Oct 2011, 07:52pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 11,922
QUOTE (wee davy @ 4th Oct 2011, 07:55pm) *
I think this was a good idea for a thread.

As it hasn't seemed to have taken off (for whatever reason) I thought I'd give it a wee bit of first aid.

One of the biggest influences in my life, was a little short a**ed Air Force Sergeant, whom I worked with, called Jimmy Mearns.

This wee man commanded respect from ALL who knew him - and most of ALL, his team of 'lads'.
He knew what made us tick (and it wasn't just the occasional appreciative pint in the pub, after a sometimes difficult week - although it was always MUCH enjoyed).

Not for him, the wanting to shine or 'look good' in front of the officers, at all costs.

In fact, he invariably, would often not hesitate to stand up for us - even to the point of taking a good bollocking, FOR US!

Jimmy taught each one of 'his lads', how to get the best out of a team.

And for that I truly thank him - god rest his soul.

A man who led by example

wee davy
this teacher mr roughtledge at waverley school inthe drum was ace his small stature was not noticed as soon as he spoke he had you in his spell he was the best closley followed by mr birkbeck a tall man who commanded respect two very different teachers but same result tongue.gif

--------------------
GG Edit: this is a temporary account, Ken's main account is here.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 4th Oct 2011, 09:20pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 5th Jul 2011, 05:00am) *
Sex education in St. Gerards; carried out by a maths teacher. "You have the instrument of God's creation in your keeping. Don't toss it away."

I remember a similar quote from our science teacher - 'Boys, you are holding Scotlands future in your hands!' - and my best pal Jake smirked and winked at me! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Oct 2011, 09:48pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
You naughty boys. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Oct 2011, 10:05pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (wee davy @ 4th Oct 2011, 07:55pm) *
One of the biggest influences in my life, was a little short a**ed Air Force Sergeant,
A man who led by example
wee davy

I told in here about the Flt. Sgt and the Chief Tech whom I used to play against each other to get the odd afternoon off; put a long face on when I saw one and explain when asked that I just knew the other wouldn't give me the afternoon free and ... Presto ... got the afternoon off tongue.gif
We had an old civvy cleaner in our hangar who had a near fatal accident one morning when driving out of his gateway to come to work. The Flt Sgt came into the crew room looking for someone to clean the washroom and chose me. I went ballistic and told him he could Foxtrot Oscar he dragged me into the hangar where the fur flew between us and I eventually stormed back into the crew room still in an indignant rage and unable to understand the world at all.
If he thought I'd joined the air force to clean out toilets he'd an other think coming; who the f#@k did he think I was?
Shortly after, a mate called me over and said, Come and see who he's got cleanin' the bogs and I followed him to the toilets to see ... The Flt Sgt ... with sleeves rolled up and mop in hand.
I must admit, I was totally ashamed of myself: It was just another job around the hangar that had to be done by someone ... anyone.
I tried to apologize but he just told me to Foxtrot Oscar.
He was another of those guys who influenced me for the better.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Oct 2011, 04:59pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
All necessary jobs are hounrable jobs, Thee!!!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Oct 2011, 10:12pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I learned that Tommy ... the shameful way.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.