Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> George Square, A' Dolled Up
davyab44
post 10th Sep 2005, 07:22am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Having visited G.S. on each return to Glasgow I always think back to Oct19th./62.....that was the occasion of a state visit by King Olav V of Norway and our battallion had the job of mounting the royal guard of honour.

I was with the 1st. Bn.Glasgow Highlanders 9th.H.L.I. and we thought we looked really smart with our green doublets sent from Stirling castle....also white sporrans and belts as well as white bayonet frogs (the holder that the bayonet is carried in when not on the rifle)........which brings me to the crux of the matter.

Picture, if you will, the scene: the military brass falling over themselves trying to please.......the dignitaries......us resplendent in our MacKenzie kilts.........and of course the Glesca punter oot tae see the show.......we're ready for the royal salute....the order is bellowed "Guard will fix bayonets, FIX".....at his point you grab your bayonet with your left hand and invert it.....on the command "BAYONETS".....you insert the bayonet onto the end of the rifle......if done correctly, you will hear a click. To make sure it's attached securely (and for pizzazz) hold the rifle with your left hand and give it a good smack with the palm of your right hand........unfortunately a young fellow had not fixed his bayonet securely and I swear you could hear it clatter over the cobblestones all the way to Hampden Park.

When the Parade was over, they marched us up some street and we right wheeled into a warehouse where each man got a couple of MacEwan's "wee dumps".....no a bad day at the office! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 12th Jun 2006, 05:09pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
Here's a couple pics i took me auld china i hope ye like em,i think i took about 50 pics in the Square.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 12th Jun 2006, 05:12pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
just magnificent smile.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 12th Jun 2006, 05:13pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
smile.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 29th Aug 2006, 06:50pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
A wee memory from my 88 year old mother. She remembers well the day the war ended. It would seem that just about everyone gathered the kids together and families all made their way to George Square. She tells me that nothing was announced on the radio for Glaswegians to do this, it just seemed appropriate that this should be the place to celebrate. So off went my mother, father, sister and me the wee baby walking all the way from Crown Street at the toll to George Square. Quite a walk I would say. When they got there the square was jammed with Glaswegians celebrating war's end. The Square sure holds a special place in her memory and heart. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Elma
post 31st Aug 2006, 12:02am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I can recall VE Day in George Square, I was young but I do remember it. My mother, father and I returned that day from a visit to my grandparents in Annan and had arrived at St. Enoch Station. We made out way to George Square, maybe following the crowd and stood there with the hundreds (thousands?) there, listening to the broadcast of Churchill and the King. Everyone was cheering and dancing and laughing. It was quite a time and I'm glad I was there, it is indeed a very special memory.

+Quote Post
glasgowken
post 2nd Nov 2006, 06:24am
Post #7

Settling In
Member No.: 3,745
Christmas decorations going up about 10 days ago.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 2nd Nov 2006, 06:51am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
This link to the front page of the Future Glasgow website shows you a great Russell Davies picture of the lights last year and if you click on the picture it will then show you some of Russells great night time pictures of Glasgow which are on show at future Glasgow this month...this guy does fantastic work.I love his pictures
.Glasgow George Square xmas lights

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 2nd Nov 2006, 09:35pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
hi Ross your pictures are no bad either wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Avril
post 3rd Nov 2006, 10:45am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Does anyone know if they are putting an ice rink in George Square this Christmas? We were home at Christmas a couple of years ago and they atmosphere in the square was magic. Just like a Christmas card! There was even someone skating round in a Santa Claus outfit.....ur wiz it the real Santa??????? biggrin.gif wub.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 5th Nov 2006, 06:56am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
wub.gif biggrin.gif My love of the square is remembered by the younger years of visiting to admire the xmas lights as a wee girl. Naturaly in my older Dating years,it was the square where I got walked, to catch the late night bus for home,by friends & the occasional wee lumbar haha. My husband being the last one who sat with me & it was on xmas eve of 1979 amidst the beuty of them same sparkling xmas lights of my child hood. We married 3yrs later (he was my best lifetime xmas gift haha)

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
sumac
post 5th Nov 2006, 12:36pm
Post #12

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
lindamac, you're a wee romantic! smile.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
allypally
post 11th Nov 2006, 06:55pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,951
One of my best memories of the square is in the early eighties whwn my daughter who had just become a police officer and was on duty for the rememberance day parade so we being proud parents made our way there to see her in her dress uniform.
There she was standing behind all the dignitaries and high heid yins at the cenotaph aand as the old soldiers in wheelchairs were passing the cenotaph a small private plane flew quite low overhead people of course looked up when from the crowd came the words " Its awright folks its wan ah ooors " All the dignitaries and high heid yins tried to look sombre and serious but you could see the shoulders going and the hands to the faces.

""" Only in Glasgow """

This post has been edited by allypally: 11th Nov 2006, 07:44pm

+Quote Post
Java
post 11th Nov 2006, 07:40pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
laugh.gif ...Yer right, only in Glasgow.... laugh.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
stratson
post 11th Nov 2006, 09:17pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (allypally @ 11th Nov 2006, 07:12 PM)
One of my best memories of the square is in the early eighties whwn my daughter who had just become a police officer and was on duty for the rememberance day parade so we being proud parents made our way there to see her in her dress uniform.
There she was standing behind all the dignitaries and high heid yins at the cenotaph aand as the old soldiers in wheelchairs were passing the cenotaph a small private plane flew quite low overhead people of course looked up when from the crowd came the words  " Its awright folks its wan ah ooors " All the dignitaries and high heid yins tried to look sombre and serious but you could see the shoulders going and the hands to the faces.

""" Only in Glasgow """

doesn't it jist make ye so proud yer wan o them. biggrin.gif

born and bred.

we are ra peepil. tongue.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.