Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whinging!, Things that really annoy.
carmella
post 20th Feb 2020, 07:51am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 20th Feb 2020, 04:05am) *
Lady Isobel Barnett, always thought she was an elegant well spoken woman.

We didn’t have all the channels in those days Dave, however, I think the quality of some of the broadcasts was very good. I agree with you too about Lady Barnett. I can see her image even as I type.

Just as an aside simply because it has jumped into my head, I remember my parents sending me upstairs to bed because, “Quatermass and the Pit” was due to start, and I wasn’t allowed to watch! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I was 18 at the time LoL

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carmella
post 20th Feb 2020, 08:44am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
My next thing is to complain about all those families, with children trying to escape Syria. Because the world leaders and the UN are doing nothing. Is NATO the way to go. After various wars around the world, sanctions etc., is it not time to take Bashar Al-Assad down? Everyone said this kind of torture or displacement of people would never happen again. Here we are

I get so angry every time I see the images of these poor people, children and very tiny babies, cold, hungry and ill in tented camps, that are filthy.

You are not supposed to bomb your own people. Why are all the major countries allowing this to continue, I’m baffled and angry. I wonder how I would feel if I was suffering in such a way!

Calling to mind Ruanda when almost one million Tutsi and Hutu were massacred. The world said this would never happen again, then we had the war in Bosnia!

When does it cease? sad.gif

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
taurus
post 20th Feb 2020, 10:25am
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 20th Feb 2020, 07:32am) *
I wouldn't want to be a celebrity nowadays and I don't blame them for maximising their income because it can be a short-lived career, especially if they dare to express an opinion

you`re very kind to think of them having a short lived career. As I see it the ones with the short lived career aren`t the chosen ones to advertise. Who would be interested in an endorsement from a wannabee,when a tried and true big name will tell you any old bull just to get you to part with your money. It`s all very subtle and that`s what the PR folk get the big bucks for. They play on the naivety of the public. We had an ad running with a local TV much loved "celebrity",saying if you bought in to this retirement village you`d be living beside him ,which was blatant rubbish,he woudn`t be seen dead living in such a place. Wonder how many bought it and got disappointed.

Don't be a ####.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 20th Feb 2020, 11:12am
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Barnet was a very intelligent but rather ecentric woman, she was a serial shoplifter who killed
herself shortly after being caught.Presumably she simply coulnt face the shame.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Feb 2020, 01:37pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (carmella @ 19th Feb 2020, 09:07pm) *
My next whinge is the white elephant that is HS2. With so much poverty in the UK, homeless people and all those folk in the past two weeks who have lost everything they’ve worked hard for through some of the worst flooding, and not for the first time. Now some cannot afford insurance since their last flooding, and some have no insurance at all again because of the cost. Surely, the government can give hefty sums to these people and scrap HS2!

Watch this space my whinging will continue!

I share your feelings about HS2. Leaving aside the location, I am not persuaded that there is an economic argument for it. The fares on the existing rail network are outrageous with it often being cheaper to fly, with the amount of cash being splashed on this project it's inevitable that fares will not be inexpensive.

Luckily we live in an area where we have access to regular public transport but that's not the case for large swathes of the UK. Surely it would be more beneficial to have current transport links improved across the board and have better integration of rural services?

HS2 will cost the UK taxpayers a fortune (far more than current estimates) and it will get sold off at a loss like the channel tunnel and the millennial dome. Money pit anyone?

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 20th Feb 2020, 03:43pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 20th Feb 2020, 01:37pm) *
I share your feelings about HS2. Leaving aside the location, I am not persuaded that there is an economic argument for it. The fares on the existing rail network are outrageous with it often being cheaper to fly, with the amount of cash being splashed on this project it's inevitable that fares will not be inexpensive.

Luckily we live in an area where we have access to regular public transport but that's not the case for large swathes of the UK. Surely it would be more beneficial to have current transport links improved across the board and have better integration of rural services?

HS2 will cost the UK taxpayers a fortune (far more than current estimates) and it will get sold off at a loss like the channel tunnel and the millennial dome. Money pit anyone?

I totally agree. Yes, the entire rail network needs fixed as well as the rolling stock. In my opinion it should never have been privatised like so many other things. I remember travelling back from Bletchley Park in 1970. I stood all the way to Euston, caught the train to bring me back to Scotland for the weekend break, stood on that train all the way to Carlisle when I eventually got a seat.

My next weekend break 7 weeks later was the same, only difference I got a seat at Crewe.

And this was 1970 sad.gif

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 20th Feb 2020, 08:31pm
Post #22

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
QUOTE (carmella @ 20th Feb 2020, 08:51am) *
We didn’t have all the channels in those days Dave, however, I think the quality of some of the broadcasts was very good. I agree with you too about Lady Barnett. I can see her image even as I type.

Just as an aside simply because it has jumped into my head, I remember my parents sending me upstairs to bed because, “Quatermass and the Pit” was due to start, and I wasn’t allowed to watch! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I was 18 at the time LoL

This made me smile, Carmella. I've often told people that away back in 1953, my sister and I (around 11 and 8 years old) were sent out to play on the pavement when TV was showing the "Quatermass Experiment". We had wonderful parents who with the best of intentions thought we were safer on the street!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
carmella
post 20th Feb 2020, 09:54pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Me too SKL. I would have been 6 then, but it’s funny what stays fresh in our minds.

You know they did a remake of this in 2005!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 21st Feb 2020, 06:59pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Quatermass.
The highlight of the week as far as we were concerned. Can still remember sitting on the floor terrified as to what would happen next.
It started with a German bomb being discovered buried among the old buildings and as We would be playing in the old bomb shelters it was something we could relate to.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 21st Feb 2020, 07:23pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 21st Feb 2020, 06:59pm) *
Quatermass.
The highlight of the week as far as we were concerned.

unsure.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 21st Feb 2020, 08:03pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
unsure.gif mine tongue.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 22nd Feb 2020, 06:40am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Some things just stay with you. It’s right up there with the Dunera Cruise!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
wombat
post 22nd Feb 2020, 06:51am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
confused2.gif huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 22nd Feb 2020, 08:20am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (carmella @ 22nd Feb 2020, 06:40am) *
Some things just stay with you. It’s right up there with the Dunera Cruise!

I remember Quatermass, excavating bones in a cave that started to move and when a guy went to a roadside tea hut, cups and saucers flew off the shelves at him. Oh aye, don't forget "the mark" ohmy.gif Ok, it was tame by current standards but it was pretty scary back then.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 22nd Feb 2020, 08:47am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Ashfield it was very scary and atmospheric in those days. Also when you think about it too, after WW2 bombs were still being unearthed, so it was very believable.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th Apr 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.