Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sighthill
Rating 2 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:05pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Sighthill

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Sighthill

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jimmy1959
post 6th Oct 2007, 05:27pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 3,722
Although i grew up in Possilpark that was only a half a mile north of Sighthill i can still remember the area before the notorious Sighthill was even started. it has been wrongly believed by many that Sighthill was built on the waste of the St. Rollox chemical works, this isn't true as the works where just south of Sighthill in the Townhead area. The Sighthill development started in 1963 and really took off after the closure of the chemical plant in 1964 the first two multi storey blocks to be completed i believe in 1965 where the two that stand beside the railway line from queen Street station. I can clearly remember the whole area being covered by swamps and marshes that you could easily walk into as they where sometimes diffficult to notice and i even remember being there with my mother and brother and sister (There where some nice grassy patches and a lot of people used to go there in the summer and lie on the grass) on the way home we got stuck in a swamp and my mother lost a shoe as we struggled to get out of the swamp that we had sunk almost two feet into. When we got out my brother had to run home and bring back another pair of shoes for my mother. I remember that i really thought we would all drown in the swamp and after that we took extra care when we went into the area again. There was an abundant amount of coke at the back of the area that had come from the furnaces of the chemical works. Many people from nearby used to collect the coke in sacks or whatever and take it home to burn in their coal fires and saved themselves from buying coal. I used to go over with my father and neighbours and we would come back with a huge sack full. I remember my dad and his friend took the man across the road from us over to get some. My dads friend told the guy from accross the road to sit down and he would fill the sack for him (The man was about 60 years old then) the older man sat down and my dads friend filled the old gents sack with rocks. He then let this man struggle for almost a mile carrying this heavy sack with the rocks he had no idea about until he emptied it into his coal bunker. I also remember the ex Caledonian railway line that ran through the middle of Sighthill from the terminal station at Buchanan Street. The line was famous for the fact that the Gresley A4 pacifics had their swansong on this line running the three hour expresses to and from Aberdeen on such named trains as the Saint Mungo and Bon Accord. The A4s ran between 1963 and September 1966 and the line was closed on November 1966. It's hard to believe now but around 1966/67 Sighthill was very much in peoples mind to move to especially those in Possilpark and Springburn and that only two or three years later it had become a ghetto that no one would dream of living in. In 1977-1978 it became the worst area in the U. K. for stoning trains. Today Sighthill is well advanced in the empying it's ten double blocks that will soon be demolished but the question should be why where they ever built in the first place

This post has been edited by jimmy1959: 6th Oct 2007, 05:59pm

+Quote Post
marmill
post 2nd Mar 2009, 09:48am
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 6,219
Hi Jimmy My family moved from possil to fountainwell place when it was brand new and it was okay then we later came to australia when I was 17yrs my friend lived in the next block and we are still very close. I vivited a long time ago with my husband and son and was sorry to see how bad things were. my friend has told me that it has been demolished. Marmill

+Quote Post
flam
post 3rd Mar 2009, 11:55am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Marmill Is this the flat that you refer to at Sighthill next to the Railway lines Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 5th Mar 2009, 12:52am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi jimmy 1959 what part of possil did you come from marmill is my sister but i never lived in sighthill i spent my life in carbeth st possil till1963 now in new zaland nice photo flam cheers jw

+Quote Post
*JockLitt*
post 5th Dec 2009, 01:00pm
Post #6

Hi guys,

I was born and bred in Ayr Street opposite Hydepark school. My mother and I moved into 19 Pinkston Drive 1967. The block was brand new and there were only 3 blocks in Pinkston Drive at the time, (there were another two blocks under construction at the time), but there was no other facilities. The tenaments on Springburn Road were still there with the few shops and a pub, as was the small swing park behind the tenaments. I used to go down to get the breakfast rolls from the dairy every morning.

My mum died in 1970 and my elder brother and I left for South Africa a year later. I've been back to Glasgow a few times, and driven and walked past the blocks along Springburn Road, but was told not to venture in. Pity - I have fond memories of Sighthill and Springburn in general

Regards,

Billy

+Quote Post
*Edmond*
post 30th Jul 2010, 10:45pm
Post #7

I live in LOVELY Possilpark born and bred, would never want to leave the area hate drug culture but Sighthill is a scheme LOST, Glasgow my place of birth and proud of it once, is also dying because the Sighthill community will spread not into politics but it is too late already R.I.P Scotland.

+Quote Post
*Fountainwell49man*
post 17th Apr 2011, 11:26pm
Post #8

At age 6 months I moved from 96 New City Road (now M8) to 49 Fountainwell Avenue in Sighthill. I can honestly say that from a childs point of view it was a great place to grow up. School on your doorstep. pals on many landings and over several blocks. For those writers from Possil, my mother started off on Saracen Street in a wallpaper shop called "Brighter Homes" and finished her working life as a receptionist to a Dr Strang in the health Centre in Denmark Street. By the time I left in 1986 the stairs on the 19th landing had become littered with glue bags. this was not only typical of Sighthill. At school (Allan Glens) the younger kids around 3rd year were displaying signs of drug use / abuse. Glad I was leaving. I think I left at the right time as I have nothing but fond memories of Fountainwell. Over in Pinkston the dream goes on for some and Elaine Ellis is to be congratulated for managing to save two of the 10 blocks. Who knows, if GHA had invested anything into the upkeep of Sighthill, the blocks may still have been there all reclad, rewired and shiny once more. This would also have depended on Sighthill Primary being rebuild to a 21st century standard. I'm one to talk, I left 25 years ago, people like Elaine stayed on and fought the battle.

+Quote Post
*Fountainwell49man*
post 8th Jun 2011, 11:18pm
Post #9

i moved to Sighthill - 49 Fountainwell Avenue when I was 6 months old. I left in 1986 when I was 20 when my mother remarried. i have nothing but fond memories of the place and its demise is a great loss to me. I remember having to get up in the morning and virtually fall into school as sighthill Primary was at the bottom of the block.

During the summer my mother would sit at the school gates opposite the entrance to 37 Fountainwell having tea and maybe more. She had a lot of friends in the surrounding blocks. I would give backies on my Raleigh Chopper as a petend bus under the flats dropping playmates off at imaginery bus stops. This would have stopped when th council breeze blocked up the columns at the base of each block.

I can remember when they changed the main entrance doors from old wooden push / pull doors to sliding doors which read "Slide to open" I can remember pulling the door open and throwing a stink bomb into the even lift with two ladies in it just as the doors closed. a scream and away it went.

The original playground between the Terrace and Avenue then consisted of 3 concrete pipes mortared together which we sat inside when the rain came down. it had a chute and the monkey bars. Jimmy's van sat in the corner next to the maisonettes selling sweets to the kids who had jumped the school railings to get out during playtime.

Miss Haggerty was the Head Teacher of Sighthill Primary.

Up to the shopping centre and my mother worked on the checkout in Galbraith Cochranes before it became Templetons.

September 28th 1974 and the queue outside RS McColls was heaving as we all waited for the first issue of Warlord to be sold. You got free medals with it. Other shops at that time were Spar, Mace, Ladbrokes, A florist, Chinese restaurant, Chippy and Azad Video. (anyone else remember Lemon Popsicle - watched it with some mates up in flat 5/5 in 6 Fountainwell square
)
1977 The Queens silver Jubilee. some bright sparks had sprayed "welcome brothers and sisters" over the bottom of Phoenix Heights (Fountainwell Square) and daubed "support your local priest" on the chapel (with drawing of gallows)...all because an Orange Walk was coming through later that day.

My mates and I used to play iwith Action Man in the bushes at the Avenue path to the Place. my first budgie "Joey was buried under one of the main monuments in the "Gravy", My second was cremated in a cushion at the trees at the bottom of 49.

Every summer the stench of rotten eggs from whatever was buried under Sughthill resurfaced. I wonder how new housing and new people will react to that.

Beside the shops was a pub. "The Sidings" later renamed "The Caledonian". I never had a drink in it. Up until 12th July 2008 and 28th November 2009 respectively. Both the night before the demolition of Fountainwell at 0230hrs the next day, just thought I'd mark the occasions before heading to Cowlairs to watch.

I believe things didn't get better after I left, they only got worse. In my opinion the blame for damp, bad neighbours, drug abuse and lack of investment only can sit one place - The GHA and their predicessor GCC.

Fountainwell was a great place to grow up. Tell me that people wouldn't want to live there if the flats had been invested in and a decent modern school with teachers as good as we had for the 21st Centuary put in place of the rundown Sighthill Primary.

Anyway, its all gone now, back to the ground zero that was the 1960's....flat dirt.

Like the Guiness....I'm not bitter.......Aye right.

FW49

+Quote Post
*JAMIEBHOY*
post 4th Sep 2011, 11:00pm
Post #10

I moved to sunny sighthill from posso wen i was in primary 5. Stayed in fountainwell road which is sadly gone now lol, when i think of sighthill now i always remember the Commy (youth club) lol i used to love playing football in the gym coudny beat skinning the older guys lol u no who use are, but u couldny beat the good old hangover sunday games on the ash pitch when you got the floodlights on, bring back the old fountainwell vs pinkston games.

P.S. Always remember Sighthill used to have a Greggs !!!

+Quote Post
**Melissa**
post 2nd Sep 2012, 08:28pm
Post #11

QUOTE (JAMIEBHOY @ 5th Sep 2011, 12:15am) *
I moved to sunny sighthill from posso wen i was in primary 5. Stayed in fountainwell road which is sadly gone now lol, when i think of sighthill now i always remember the Commy (youth club) lol i used to love playing football in the gym coudny beat skinning the older guys lol u no who use are, but u couldny beat the good old hangover sunday games on the ash pitch when you got the floodlights on, bring back the old fountainwell vs pinkston games.

P.S. Always remember Sighthill used to have a Greggs !!!

+Quote Post
**Melissa**
post 2nd Sep 2012, 08:30pm
Post #12

My dad owned the chippy in sighthill , tony his name was smile.gif)

+Quote Post
**Lesley**
post 13th Jan 2017, 04:54pm
Post #13

QUOTE (Edmond @ 30th Jul 2010, 10:45pm) *
I live in LOVELY Possilpark born and bred, would never want to leave the area hate drug culture but Sighthill is a scheme LOST, Glasgow my place of birth and proud of it once, is also dying because the Sighthill community will spread not into politics but it is too late already R.I.P Scotland.

+Quote Post
Celyn
post 14th Jan 2017, 03:37am
Post #14

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,912
I live in Sighthill.

I am not sure if Lesley posted anything or if she was quoting someone else.

Me is Confused.com biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 14th Jan 2017, 04:30am
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
My pal's family moved to Sighthill from the Townhead in about 1969/70 they were in Fountainwell Place. When my pal got married she also stayed in Sighthill but I can't remember the name of the Street. Her family name was Kelly they were a big family and her married name was Johnstone. Does anyone know them? When they first moved there Sighthill was a nice place. I went to school with a few people who lived there.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.