Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Remember This Dept Store (in Charing Cross?)
AnneTeak
post 19th Jul 2009, 11:34pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
Maybe not so Outer Limits !
Otis Elevators have come up with a radical idea - yes! sideways elevators biggrin.gif

http://www.businessweek.com/1997/45/b3552084.htm

But you know the old rickety wooden sideways elevator in a Glasgow store rings a few bells with me as well !
The plot thickens ...(sideways) cool.gif

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klingon
post 20th Jul 2009, 01:07am
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (Evan @ 26th Mar 2009, 05:02pm) *
When I was still in Primary school in Paisley (am I allowed to mention that town?), my mother and aunt used to "drag" me up to Glasgow (Western SMT to Clyde St) almost every Saturday to be "trailed" round the shops. We went to the then very different areas of Glasgow; Charing Cross, Queens Park area, Glasgow Cross, Argyle St then up Buchanan St (with the posh shops shut on Sat afternoons) to Sauchiehall St.
I've been reading the Lewis's memories; fantastic children's toy dept esp at Christmas. I lost my golden curls aged two seated on some animal (wooden) in Lewis's barbers. However, I know I was bought a new toy afterwards - my mum was weeping apparently, I wasn't! My pedal car was obtained from Wylie & Lochead and do I remember the Clyde Model Dockyard!
My real question is about a recurring memory (or dream) I keep having about a "strange" dept store, I think on a street corner in Charing Cross.
You entered on the corner; the entrance area was darkish wood on the walls; to the left were a few steps down to a clothing dept. On the right were stairs up to a restaurant. BUT, I seem to remember an old, wooden lift. This went up BUT then went "sideways" on the level and up again eventually arriving at the restaurant.
Is this true or is it just a false memory?
Best wishes and memories from Evan.

Widnae be Copeland & Lye's?-seem to remember them aboot that area somewhere-

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Evan
post 20th Jul 2009, 06:26am
Post #18

Visitor
Member No.: 6,714
OR .... is it rickity old people remembering rickity old lifts ????

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 22nd Jul 2009, 11:45pm
Post #19

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
QUOTE (Evan @ 20th Jul 2009, 07:20am) *
OR .... is it rickity old people remembering rickity old lifts ????

biggrin.gif could very well be *wink* Hope not tho would like someone to through any light on it!

Do you remember the wooden escalator in Lewis's? think it was the one up to the first floor that had wooden slats as I think the others were high tech steel ones lol

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 23rd Jul 2009, 01:23am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
All I seem to remember about lifts during this time was the guy who operated them>>>>>>> furst floor
carpets and setees, 2nd floor beds, wardrobs and standard lamps, aha loved those great big lamps.
Going up and down in those lifts made me so motion sick and claustrophobic. So much for nice memories blink.gif

+Quote Post
Evan
post 30th Jul 2009, 09:57am
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 6,714
Lewis's - Yes, I remember the wooden slats on the escalators then the modern metal ones to the other floors.
I lost my blonde curls aged two in Lewis's children's barbers. Seated on a wooden animal feeling very grown up knowing I would be taken over to the fantastic and massive toy dept for a Dinky Toy as a reward. Mother and aunt crying their eyes out!
AND the bank of quite large lifts extending across most of one of the walls. They held a lot of folk; BUT there always were a LOT of folk inside !!
Sadly, it doesn't happen nowadays and it wouldn't be "PC", but I remember the lift attendants, often perched on high stools as they weren't very tall.

+Quote Post
**Paul**
post 7th Aug 2009, 04:57pm
Post #22

Does anyone Bremners Dept Store ??

+Quote Post
klingon
post 8th Aug 2009, 12:48am
Post #23

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (*Paul* @ 7th Aug 2009, 06:14pm) *
Does anyone Bremners Dept Store ??

Yup-in Glassford st-got my first Beatles suit there!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:27pm
Post #24

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
why would they need a sideways lift , ave never heard of any shop with one here.. Maybe the shop was Trerons , all the Sauchehall st shops were nicer... I loved looking in the windows of the wee er clothes shops.. like Madamoiselle Ann or some name like that , wee white arched shop very Art Deco in style... was never in it. it had chandeliers, so that put me off hahaha. too dear... oh aye and Pettigrew and Stevens another nice shop.. for the toffs. does anyone remember the big bridal shop at Charing Cross, it was bevelled , lovely shop..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.