Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time To Restore Dignity To George Square?, A decision for the people of Glasgow
Heather
post 2nd Feb 2013, 05:22pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Bill, when my son books a Villa he always makes sure a pool for the children and car to get around in comes with it.
No overnight parking fees for him as he only makes day trips.

The Mayor sounds like a right tartar.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 3rd Feb 2013, 10:36am
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
QUOTE (frame @ 2nd Feb 2013, 04:29pm) *
I have the feeling that this has more to do with a man's ego (Matheson) than any decisional need to upgrade George Square.
He is behaving like someone who suffers from the hubristic belief that he is right and as such is answerable to no one except God, (there have been many others in that mould, one very recently.)
He certainly knows how important George Square is to the people of Glasgow. He's very aware of how strong feeling is running against this plan and what's more, he doesn't appear to care.
He holds a high position in the city and in all probability considers himself omnipotent and above criticism.
The people of Glasgow have a major task on their hands if they want George square to be turned back into that little square acreage of trees, grass and summer days that sat in the middle of traffic but was an oasis of comfort and relaxation.
Protests en masse, coupled with a very sympathetic media for as long as it takes is one way.
Writing to this guy from every quarter is another, maybe help to ease his thinking. Nothing like sacks of mail landing on your office floor, all with the same message, to make you walk to your window, open it and (jump, dream on) look out at the square and go through a change of heart.

The board members are absolutely right. George Square should be for the people not for the meddlers in City Hall.

I totally agree with you Frame. Somebody recently described him as a small man with even smaller ideas. Glasgow needs someone who is smart and who listens to the people. George Square cannot be lost just because of one mans ego.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 3rd Feb 2013, 09:21pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
thumbup.gif George square should have statues of scotlands heroes not its subjugators IMO yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Feb 2013, 03:01am
Post #49

As far as I am concerned it just seems that far too often George's Square is turned into what looks like a building site. What are tourists to think when they see all the nice photos of it and then they turn up and it looks like that. The square is the number one tourist venue for tourists to come to in Glasgow and get their pictures taken and say "look that's me in Glasgow".

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 4th Feb 2013, 02:16pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
How right you are guest. Last time I was home I just about died when I saw George Square. Why cant they find somewhere else to hold their various concerts and social events.Make George Square a must place to visit when in Glasgow.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 4th Feb 2013, 11:42pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
McAslan to host George Square public workshop

Attached Image

You MAY have to pre-order your breakfast, though. And an 8am start isn't going to be easy for some. But c'mon GGDB - lets get one or two of you at the venue, offering our views.
Which very much in line with what we have been saying (in our inimitable way), they appear to be.
Well done, McAslan. Putting it out in the public domain, where it should have been from the very start.

Don't be having too many free breakfasts!

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Feb 2013, 05:48pm
Post #52

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
From the STV news website this evening:
[...] Glasgow City Council also passed a motion to instruct the executive director of development and regional services to present a further report to the committee with alternative refurbishment options for George Square.

The options will include retaining the statues, improving the green spaces, utilities and lighting as well as replacing the red surface.

The plans to redesign the square – following an international design competition - were controversially axed in January in favour of a facelift.

Read the George Square redevelopment story in full
Bailie Nina Baker proposed an amendment which would include a conservation plan for the whole square as a heritage entity.

Council leader Gordon Matheson then faced a raft of questions from the SNP’s Graeme Hendry on the issue of George Square.

Councillor Hendry said: "This is quite a short report for something that filled all our inboxes for weeks.

"I think this is a lesson for the council in how to mishandle things."

The councillor went on to ask whose idea it had been to consult 42 people ahead of the process.

The response was: "It was a statistically balanced process using focus groups.

"The consultation was appropriate for the scale of what we proposed."

Councillor Matheson added: "The recommendation in front of us is the right one and the process was appropriate and correct."

The report was approved - without Bailie Baker's amendment - with 10 votes to seven. [...]

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Feb 2013, 10:53pm
Post #53

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
As if the rubbish bins – shown next to the Cenotaph in the first post of this topic – were not bad enough, yesterday saw a total of FIVE council cars parked around the war memorial. The Cenotaph itself is in dire need of cleaning – let's hope that some of the millions allocated to the George Square revamp will be spent on this very worthy monument.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Feb 2013, 12:22am
Post #54

QUOTE (wombat @ 3rd Feb 2013, 09:38pm) *
thumbup.gif George square should have statues of scotlands heroes not its subjugators IMO yes.gif

Youse is not wrong Wom!!!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 17th Feb 2013, 04:07am
Post #55

I will be returning to Glasgow soon for the first time in over 30 years. It will be great to see Georges Square again. Thank you to everyone who helped to save it. I didn't even know at the time that they might have demolished it but so glad they have not.

J&S Marshall.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 19th Feb 2013, 12:49pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
It was in the news today on the STV that there is going to be NOTHING happening in George Square before the 2014 Games. Its a complete turnaround for the coucil leader who said that major changes had to be in place for the Games. That was the whole point of doing anything. So the council has just spent more than 100k on absolutely nothing at a time when they are saying they have no money for services.

Who pays for this fiasco....?? We do!!

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 19th Feb 2013, 04:22pm
Post #57

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 19th Feb 2013, 01:06pm) *
It was in the news today on the STV that there is going to be NOTHING happening in George Square before the 2014 Games. Its a complete turnaround for the coucil leader who said that major changes had to be in place for the Games. That was the whole point of doing anything. So the council has just spent more than 100k on absolutely nothing at a time when they are saying they have no money for services.

Aye!dead right but as they say "T'was ever thus".All Publicly funded entities throughout the UK and I suspect,beyond,are particularly good at spending/wasting other people's money.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 19th Feb 2013, 05:48pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 19th Feb 2013, 01:06pm) *

Well to be fair they do need to pay for their bacon butties now wink.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 25th Feb 2013, 05:46am
Post #59

I've been told by a very reliable source that the council has changed their mind again and now the Red Square tarmac is to be removed after all and replaced with something a bit more dignified! Doesn't mean to say that things won't change again but it does look like it will be removed before the games in Glasgow in 2014.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 26th Feb 2013, 03:23pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Isobel @ 4th Feb 2013, 02:33pm) *
How right you are guest. Last time I was home I just about died when I saw George Square. Why cant they find somewhere else to hold their various concerts and social events.Make George Square a must place to visit when in Glasgow.

Quite right Isobel. The square should reflect the best a city has to offer. It is the heart of the city and it is where tourists and visitors tend to congregate and of course locals will meet up there and people working locally will sit and have lunch there. Lets hope eventually we have an attractive square that everyone likes rather than a bit of spare ground on which to dump short term exhibitions or concerts

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.